• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Red residue at muzzle after shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught that the red indicates a good burn with proper pressures. You can test this by reducing your charge to maybe half of what you normally use. Do that and no red might validate that theory. Still get red then we still won't know for sure.

"I was told that if the charge is "just right" and the powder burns completely then the red "BLOOD DROPS" appear. "

I was told the same thing, probably by the same old gunsmith/shooter (Dan "Pore Devil" Shively"). EVERYTHING has to be just right, load, temperature, humidity. I've had it happen several shots in a row, but then soething changed (probably temp).

After a shot is discharged, red residue/ little drops are formed at the muzzle and tip of the cleaning rod- any idea what causes those? It was a "regular" load of 70gr 3F in a 20ga x42" smooth barrel, regular weather, no humidity, no wind, beautiful sunny day. Powder is from the same batch I have used before on this and other guns and did not get any red droplets at the muzzle. It cleans easy, clean barrel is in perfect condition.
I asked about those red things over fourty years ago, and was told that was called barrel blood and was a good sign that the load was a good one. This is not a bad thing or anything to fret about, just something that is part of black powder shooting.

Sulfur forms a red compound when melted. I think that's what the residue is.

Spence
Gaseous Sulfur condensate.
These are sometimes referred to as sulfur cherries. It takes the right atmospheric conditions and load levels. Its a perfectly normal condition.
And @gustrolland has as good an explanation as anyone as an indication of a good load. The same load on a different day may not produce the red beads.

I have had this happen to me on several occasions while shooting my .45 caliber cap lock with 60 gr of 3F Goex. The weather temps were in the high 50's to low 60's clear and crisp. I was told that it was a good thing as my load was balanced and that I was getting the max velocity for that load. Whatever it was I did shoot good scores those days and I was a happy camper!

When I lived in Eugene Oregon, we were all tickled when we ended up with barrel blood, because we knew we were shooting a good load. But we also have high humidity in Eugene, so seems like that really was the main reason for it.

I've heard it called "Dragons blood". Like the others have said, it indicates a good powder/patch/ball load according to some and it is caused by sulfur fumes from the burning black powder condensing.

Chemist friend a few years back said it was a sulfur compound left over from the combustion process. We refer to it as 'blood' and usually regard it as a sign of a properly working load. Not to worry about.

I have experienced it quite a few times over the decades at matches, I primarily shoot heavy conicals. Being that it does not occur each time with the same load - I’ve always felt it had more to do with the atmospheric conditions than anything else.
If it’s sulfur - understandable.

Who says black powder isn't fun. It produces 14 different compounds and gasses when it goes off and that sounds pretty coool to me.

I am finding the multiple references to "right/most efficient load" a bit curious. I get the red blobs, and my usual loads in .50 and .54 are probably 40% greater than most here would consider within the normal range.

Back