• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using mask while melting lead.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast lead balls for my cannons. OK they are 1.25/1.5 in bore, and the balls weigh 6oz to 8oz each. I use what scrap lead i can get, but allways do it out side, cast about 50 at any one time, that is enough for a year. My biggest problem is remembering not to grab a hot mold or ball, learn fast.

I cast lead balls for my cannons. OK they are 1.25/1.5 in bore, and the balls weigh 6oz to 8oz each. I use what scrap lead i can get, but allways do it out side, cast about 50 at any one time, that is enough for a year. My biggest problem is remembering not to grab a hot mold or ball, learn fast.
Takes those big ones a while to cool off eh?????
Same goes with 1# trot line weights......

You are not taking into account oxides and other metals that may be present in an alloy. Fumes include a complex of different metal particles such as lead, ferrous, magnesium, zinc, beryllium, chromium, nickel, cobalt, cadmium, titanium, vanadium, antimony, copper and arsenic .

Lead begins to fume at 554 degrees F and begins to appreciably fume at 1474 degrees F.
While the later temp may not be achieved by everyone I have done it accidentally when melting ingots from roofing scrap. Which is also of concern because roofing scrap can contain roofing tar which can contain asbestos.

Stirring the pot to remove the dross and other impurities creates dust and fumes.

If you read my original post, you'll understand I was referring to all fumes produced, not just lead fumes.
Since most casters today melt scrap or whatever lead they can find, None of the things I have listed are good for your lungs. Wearing a mask is a sensible precaution, assess your own risk.

Yes we need to be afraid, very afraid. 😄

Oh, and a mask, as with certain other things meant to instill fear currently, will do you no good, you need a respirator to deal with "toxic fumes";)

Yes we need to be afraid, very afraid. 😄

Oh, and a mask, as with certain other things meant to instill fear currently, will do you no good, you need a respirator to deal with "toxic fumes";)

An educated mind fears not, it evaluates and manages risk.

Also; The Mask we were talking about is a respirator .

I bought a half face respirator with 2 P-100 filter cartridges.

Any human who says they have not felt fear has never lived or is a liar.

A mask is a mask and a respirator is a respirator. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Any human who says they have not felt fear has never lived or is a liar.

Fear is natural, but only an educated mind can overcome fear and not let it rule him.

A mask is a mask and a respirator is a respirator. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Semantics . All masks are not respirators but all respirators are masks. Especially the one we were talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my $.02. Lead in the system is a weird thing. As a firearms instructor I used to get tested every year. The other guy I worked with had lead in his system through the roof. Mine was non existent. When we talked to the DR about it he said it does different things to different people. Some people just absorb more than others. I think its always better to mitigate risk if you can. Im also the guy who used a propane torch to melt the lead off the indoor range i worked in as a kid with no safety gear at all. Now that im older and not much wiser I try to mitigate any risk... just sayin.

I was melting pieces of small lead pipe once, it was broken into 6 or 8” pieces and I’d take a handful of them and stand them up in the lead pot which was like half full of molten lead. I put some in, heard a sizzling sound and spun away just as there was a loud pop. The back of my t-shirt got covered with molten lead which shot out of the pipes like a fountain.

LOL, yup, we have all probably learned that lesson the hard way.
When doing a smelt pile everything up in a cold pot and bring the temp up.
Never drop smelt into liquid lead. Once the lead is cast into some type of ingot, then it has no moisture in it, it will be safe to add to a hot casting pot... Go at it one pot at at a time, allowing the pot to cool below the flash point of water before loading the next batch.

DEFINING SMELTING vs MELTING

Smelting is the process of first taking scrap and liquifying the lead and skimming off the trash such as dirt, brass, copper jackets, rocks, etc.....
After the lead has been cleaned, fluxed and recast into ingots, then the clean lead can be melted for casting use.
Never SMELT in your casting pot........

I was melting pieces of small lead pipe once, it was broken into 6 or 8” pieces and I’d take a handful of them and stand them up in the lead pot which was like half full of molten lead. I put some in, heard a sizzling sound and spun away just as there was a loud pop. The back of my t-shirt got covered with molten lead which shot out of the pipes like a fountain.
I have found it best when melting questionable lead that may have some dampness in it to put it in the pot before the lead is melted. That gives it time to evaporate or cook of any moisture and the moisture doesn't get trapped in the lead melt.

I have found it best when melting questionable lead that may have some dampness in it to put it in the pot before the lead is melted. That gives it time to evaporate or cook of any moisture and the moisture doesn't get trapped in the lead melt.

I've used that technique and if the lead is already molten the pot, I'll hit the cold stuff I'm adding with a propane torch to get it hot, but not melted. That drives off any moisture and gets it close to pot temp.

I cast outside the garage under a overhang. I wear safety glasses, leather gloves, leather shoes, and denim jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt or denim jacket. I've thought about a face mask, but not done it. If it is warm and I have a glass of ice water or ice tea around, I make sure it isn't close to my casting setup and that I have to get up to go get a drink to avoid a spin in the hot lead pot. I don't wear a mask.
What Jake said, and stay upwind.....

I stuck a very cold casting dipper into a pot of hot lead. The pot bubbled and then blew lead onto my face, glasses, and clothing. I wish I had a mask then.
My concern is the mask could be flamable. Have not tried to light the ones i have. I wear glasses so eyes protected. Rather small burn markscrather than a large burn area if the mask is flamable. No experience, just a concern ot thought.

You're just a ray of sunshine on everything.
Examine the usefulness of your own comment.
People want to ban lead because other people make bad choices.
People want to ban guns because other people make bad choices.
Now you want to criticize people for wanting to make good choices.?

Wearing a mask (respirator) while casting or working with lead is a good idea, if not to reduce possible lead contamination to reduce particles, smoke, fumes or things one might now want to inhale.

My concern is the mask could be flamable. Have not tried to light the ones i have. I wear glasses so eyes protected. Rather small burn markscrather than a large burn area if the mask is flamable. No experience, just a concern ot thought.
I will not be getting my face that close to the lead pot. I have a full bushy beard and would like to keep it intact.......

You have a better chance of melted lead splattering you in the face than your face mask catching fire, even if it's flammable. Do things right and you shouldn't have to worry about lead splattering you in the face.

Latest posts

Back