• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thatā€™s a fine looking setup you havešŸ˜!! I had a very quite first morning, only heard 2 birds and both way off to the east. Good luck and hope you drop one with that fine gun!!!

There are pages of topic/and reply on this forum regarding the load's effectiveness. At least one member with improved patterns from a jug choked barrel that previously produced worse than expected patterns post-jug choking.
If one reads carefully on the replys with moderate to no success, one finds the person changed something from the load as initially described by Skychief.

I changed nothing. I did spend a lot of time figuring out the powder/shot combo my 20ga liked. Then discovered the SCL and pattern tightened up considerably. Went from just "breaking" clays, to "exploding clays". I like it.

I changed nothing. I did spend a lot of time figuring out the powder/shot combo my 20ga liked. Then discovered the SCL and pattern tightened up considerably. Went from just "breaking" clays, to "exploding clays". I like it.
Thank you for this report. It helps confirm a few things I have been thinking both in regards to how well the load works, and when. You started with a good load, then didn't change anything about Skychief's instructions, and got improved downrange performance. That improved downrange performance was not only not on a patterning paper, it was on moving/flying targets.

Ah, the joys of public land.

I guess I should be more positive, at least we have public land to hunt on.

Nice set up. What will you he using for a call?

I hunted public lands exclusively for years. Opening day is always tough. Middle of the week is much better.
You run into a few knuckleheads, but mostly good people. Much like this site.. lol.

I hunted public lands exclusively for years. Opening day is always tough. Middle of the week is much better.
You run into a few knuckleheads, but mostly good people. Much like this site.. lol.
Oddly enough here, many of our hunting opening days are weekdays. Opening day of pheasant season and trout fishing season are always a Saturday, everything else could fall on any day except Sunday.

Here in the Republic of Texas, Opening day of Dove and Deer season are akin to State Holidays... Schools used to close, small business would shutter, posting signs that say "Closed for Deer Season", etc. A large local gun shop was known for closing for Turkey season, both spring and fall season.
Fall Turkey and Deer season is traditionally the first Saturday of November. Helps keep the kids in school... lol.
Plenty of weekend warriors on public land on weekends, shooting at anything and everything. Stomping around, reminding me of "starving pilgrims I've been hearing all day, and smelling for three!!"

Back