• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What group size makes you happy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OqVvLotl.jpg

the one on top is my 62 jaeger, the bottom was 2 different groups and sight adjustment shot with my 40 cal. kevin Blevins mountain rifle and swiss 3f both shot at 50yds. off the bench, I am happy with that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
4PjIcUkl.jpg

OqVvLotl.jpg

the one on top is my 62 jaeger, the bottom was 2 different groups and sight adjustment shot with my 40 cal. kevin Blevins mountain rifle and swiss 3f both shot at 50yds. off the bench, I am happy with that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
4PjIcUkl.jpg
Very nice! Maybe a pic or two of the Jaeger? That's one on my bucket list - just need to find one at the right price...

This topic is spot on for me. Blackpowder is getting me back into firearms bafter a long hiatus, and my skills in general have deteriorated immensely.

Now I have to readjust my goals and expectations. Seeing what you can do will help me to set realistic goalposts.

Thanks all.

This group size makes me happy. Shot with my .54 caliber.
I mostly shoot my .40 now and often shoot a 4" diameter steel plate. Regardless of distance that little plate will test me. When shooting plates it's offhand all the way.

CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg

I sight in my guns to hunt with. So what makes me happy is a group that is effective to take down the game at yardage that I deem effective. So, for me, shootimg my .54 caliber Lancaster that is at least baseball sized groups at 50 yards. A deers kill zone is approximately a 10 inch circle around Its vitals. My baseball size group is well within that.

For my smooth bore, which I only load with shot, a pattern at 25 yards that is sufficient to take down a pheasant is good for me. I don't count X amount of pellets per a predetermined size. I look at how dense the pattern is and will it allow a bird to get through such as large gaps or donut holes etc. As long as the pattern is complete and doesn't show the above then it's good to go.

As for my .32 caliber, I want around a 1 inch group at 25 yards. That is good enough to drill a squirrel.

It depends on what I am shooting, and the range, but generally less than 4 MOA for flint, 2 MOA for percussion, 1 MOA for suppository guns, and .01 MOA if I'm trying to put a spacecraft on Mars.

olskool that is a thing of Beauty ! You guys can really shoot , and shows me what I have to aim for . I like that you also share load imfo. as it may save some from getting discouraged , like me. Thanks for posting , Nice job.

olskool that is a thing of Beauty ! You guys can really shoot , and shows me what I have to aim for . I like that you also share load imfo. as it may save some from getting discouraged , like me. Thanks for posting , Nice job.
Be very much aware that the load that worked in on rifle may not be as accurate in another rifle, even if it is of the same make and caliber.

Do visit Dutch Schoultz's web site Blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com. His system can be quite helpful and tells you how to get the best results from your rifle.

All these photos of tack driven groups is great if you're in a shooting match, or maybe for bragging rights, but in real world hunting situations it's not that necessary. Sure being able to clover leaf a group is wonderful, but that depends a lot on load, how the gun is supported, comfort of the shooter sitting at the bench etc. Place that same gun, load, and shooter in cold woods, sitting awkwardly, or standing with only a stick or tree to support the rifle and that clover leaf is going to open up significantly.

I understand that a tight group is conducive to not missing the game, but when a deers vital zone is 10 inches round, being able to hit a dime over a silver dollar isn't going to increase your chances all that much.

That clover leaf will certainly open up, but you will know that the rifle is capable of that accuracy. That confidence in the rifle's performance will translate to making the best of the hold on the tree, awkward sitting position and the cold to put meat on the table.
Absolutely, Accuracy from the bench builds confidence for the field. When you take to the woods you know your rifle will hit where you want when you want. and what ever range.

These days, what with the "covid-19" and all, My balls are obeying social distancing guidelines.
They are well apart from each other.
I just hold up my target and say, "how's that for a buckshot load" ?

Latest posts

Back