• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help id Dog Head Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This plate is very similar to several locks of 1785/1790 particularly the shape of the safety but without seeing the inside, ident. is even more difficult.

Last thing and then I've got to go do some chores around the house as I'm getting consumed by this research. :)

I'm not apposed to opening this gun up and taking photos of the insides if it would be of any use. If it would be of no use then I won't.
I'm by no means a gunsmith but pretty sure I am capable of meticulous removal of screws and parts and putting it back together. I realize it's not the same animal but I've rebuilt and cleaned a few modern guns of my own as well as recently rebuilt a Baretta air rifle.
If someone believes it takes an experienced gunsmith to do this then I'll find one.
Thoughts?
Rick

I would take EXCEEDING care with the removal of the lock from that comparatively frail-looking wood. It would need a couple of turns on the far side retaining bolts, allowing them to project around a couple of mm at a time, and a VERY gentle tap on each with a nylon-headed mallet, taking great care not to impact with the carving on the escutcheon plate. Then look VERY carefully to see if there is any sign that the lock is moving out. If not, please leave it alone.

The 44 looks like 44 - that's all I know.

I would take EXCEEDING care with the removal of the lock from that comparatively frail-looking wood. It would need a couple of turns on the far side retaining bolts, allowing them to project around a couple of mm at a time, and a VERY gentle tap on each with a nylon-headed mallet, taking great care not to impact with the carving on the escutcheon plate. Then look VERY carefully to see if there is any sign that the lock is moving out. If not, please leave it alone.

The 44 looks like 44 - that's all I know.

Thanks for the heads up and instructions. I'll be extra careful and back off if things do move.

Rick

Rick - read your PM please.

And BTW, a couple of us are of the opinion that the place-name on the Schutzen-style rifle is not Zurich, but Burich, a older township in what is now Germany, rather than a place in Switzerland.

Please email me/send me your email address.

Last edited:
....What Ide like to see is the entire lock might give a clue as that what it started off as .

Rudyyard, Per your request I've removed the Lock and have detailed photos of such. As interesting as this has been I hope this will help close this long topic out.
I must say I am so impressed with the workmanship of this Rifle and it's various parts having been built so long ago. Thanks again to all for such great input and discussion.
If you need any further photos please ask.
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4274.jpg
    IMG_4274.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4275.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4284.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4287.jpg
    IMG_4287.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 61
Some beautiful images there, AkLuthier. I'm very pleased to see that it has all seemed to work out for you, and I'm sure that with your great handicraft skills you will be able to make any repairs that you feel necessary to the wood. Please keep us posted here and on the other forum with your progress.

Rick, you are being too kind - I'm just one of the guys here who tried to help you out with this intriguing piece of firearms history - thanks go to all of them, too!

Back