• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP revolver range pistol box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Because of my state’s mandate to stay at home due to the COVID-19 virus these days, I have a lot of extra time on my hands to do home projects. Like most every BP pistol shooters, I have always lugged around one of the plastic tool boxes that you buy at the hardware store to keep all my BP gear in with my revolvers. At the shooting range, I have always admired the bullseye range pistol boxes that other shooters use for bullseye competition and wondered if the same box could be adapted for my BP revolvers. Checking out a couple of websites for range pistol boxes I found that they can be quite expensive around $200.00 to $500.00 depending upon the wood, design and style. Used ones on ebay were either beat up or too over priced. Remembering that I had an old range pistol box construction sheet that was available at a gun club many years ago, I determined that I had enough wood and hardware on hand to build my own range pistol box for my BP revolvers. Below are photos and the scanned instructions of my finished box that accommodates my ROA and both Uberti 1858 and 1860 revolvers, cylinder loading press and accessories. Note that I normally put each revolver in a pistol sock but left them off for the photos. The spotting scope and BP powder I carry separately. The box makes for a very convenient compact case for carry and storage of my three BP revolvers. The plans are also attached.

1589653675470.png

1589653831467.png

1589653988772.png

1589655107773.png

Attachments

• Range Pistol Box.jpg
    Range Pistol Box.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Very Nice! Is that a Powder, Inc cylinder loading tool? I just got 1 and have not had a chance to use it yet. Got it for the 31 cal pocket model. Could not see using the stubby cylinder loading lever!

Hi Boston Bill,
Yes, that is a Powder, Inc. cylinder loading tool. I did modify it by adding a 3/8-16 x 3/8-16 coupling with a 6 inch length of 3/8-16 threaded rod with heat shrink tubing on the rod. I found that the shorter length of the Powder, Inc. rod was harder to press a .457 ball into my ROA cylinder. The extra length of the rod allows for more of a moment arm to the loading tool for an easier and controlled pressing of the ball into a cylinder. I simply unscrew the rod extension for storage in my range pistol box. The Powder, Inc. tool is the best accessory that I bought so that I don't make the mistake of bending the loading lever on all my BP revolvers. See my loading press photo below.

1589658830509.png

Thank you for the included drawings. I don't have any pistols that ican mention here, but I would like to make a nice range box for my BP rifle equipment.

Hi guys,
Because of my state’s mandate to stay at home due to the COVID-19 virus these days, I have a lot of extra time on my hands to do home projects. Like most every BP pistol shooters, I have always lugged around one of the plastic tool boxes that you buy at the hardware store to keep all my BP gear in with my revolvers. At the shooting range, I have always admired the bullseye range pistol boxes that other shooters use for bullseye competition and wondered if the same box could be adapted for my BP revolvers. Checking out a couple of websites for range pistol boxes I found that they can be quite expensive around $200.00 to $500.00 depending upon the wood, design and style. Used ones on ebay were either beat up or too over priced. Remembering that I had an old range pistol box construction sheet that was available at a gun club many years ago, I determined that I had enough wood and hardware on hand to build my own range pistol box for my BP revolvers. Below are photos and the scanned instructions of my finished box that accommodates my ROA and both Uberti 1858 and 1860 revolvers, cylinder loading press and accessories. Note that I normally put each revolver in a pistol sock but left them off for the photos. The spotting scope and BP powder I carry separately. The box makes for a very convenient compact case for carry and storage of my three BP revolvers. The plans are also attached.

View attachment 31490
View attachment 31492
View attachment 31494
View attachment 31497
Nicely done. I have seen this type of box before at ranges, they always look very professional. I'm actually in the middle of building a range box for my black powder guns. It's all white oak.
I gave the individual panels cut and assembled the next step is to dovetail the corners.
KIMG0703.JPG
31602.jpeg

The lid is being dry fit. The sides are all marked.

Looks nice and very practical, except it looks heavy to lug around very far.

I find my wooden shooters box for my smokeless guns, by the time you add the ammo and a gun or 2 it is really heavy. We need to look into the 3 gun cowboy set ups with wheels. I can't find what I was looking for but this will give you all some ideas.
http://www.curtrich.com/simpleguncart.html

Many years ago I built a Packmyer style pistol box out of 1/4" plywood. It would hold up to 4 pistols and scope with accessories. It was HEAVY when it was full. The boxes I see being built are VERY nice but they must be HEAVY. Looks like they are best suited for the young and strong or they will need wheels to move them to the firing line ;) :dunno::ghostly:!!

Latest posts

Back