• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patchboxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting a patchbox on my GPR. I’m pretty sure I can take on the task.... between my mini mill, dremel, and a chisel. Anyways, I know these guns where modeled after the Hawken rifles of the 1850’s. Right? Anyway where could I find a patchbox that resembles that timeframe?

Most of the rifles during the Percussion era used round or oval shaped "cap boxes".
There were exceptions though that used traditional metal patch boxes like the Modena rifle, built by the Hawken brothers.

Modena-Hawken.jpg

Notice it not only is a full size, 4 piece patchbox but the sideplates are pierced, with the wood coming thru the holes in 4 places.

I DO NOT recommend installing a pierced patchbox for a person who doesn't have experience.

The biggest problem with installing a patchbox on a finished rifle is, all of the edges of the metal must be absolutely flush with the wood that butts up against them. That almost always means sanding the wood flush with the metal so any stock finish that is in the area is going to be removed.
If a person does want to install a patchbox on a finished gun, they should know the entire stock will need to be refinished when they are finished.

Oh my gosh I can’t believe that didn’t occur to me, that’s quite the undertaking. Doable for sure, but I have to wonder is it worth the trouble. Part of me wants this GPR to be my learner gun, then after saving the money and learning as much as I can about this hobby, have a nice rifle built the way I want it. I think I’ll stick to that plan :thumb:😁:ThankYou:

Try this. Buy the cap box you want. Buy a 1x6 piece of walnut. Try to inlet it into the 1x6.
Try again.
Try again.
If you like it, try it on your gun. If you don't like it, sell the cap box on our classifieds to another member before you try it on your gun. You would only be out the 1x6 of walnut and you wont ruin your gun.
P.S. Ditch the Dremel. This one came from the Hawken Shop, onto an early flinter. I don't know why the last screw didn't sow in the picture, but its there.

Attachments

• 003 (1024x768).jpg
    003 (1024x768).jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
The only place for power tools in inletting a PB is perhaps to speed hogging out the cavity (a forester bit on a drill press works well) and drilling the screw holes. If you use a forester bit there will be a center point from the bit down deeper, and that may or may not bother you to the point you want to finish the bottom smooth by going deeper with gouges and scrapers.

When I built my first flintlock I was not satisfied with the available patchbox designs. I had in mind something along the lines of the photo of an Armstrong I had seen. Long story short, I designed my own on graph paper. The graph paper design with cut outs was glued to sheet brass and cut out with a jewelers saw and the edges were beveled both inside and out. The heart feature, just forward of the hinge, is repeated in the forestock ramrod pipe stock carving. Xacto knife and scraper were uses - no dremel.

Now, one of these days, I will learn to engrave to my satisfaction.

1589846038279.png

Have you had trouble with cracks developing with the squared-off corners of the PB interior, particularly on the BP side)? Many builders round them for that very reason.

Latest posts

Back