• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol as a Lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No argument about Barricade from me.
I believe the OP was looking for experience with using Ballistol as a lubricant. I do use it on my lock, sparingly, with no gumming issues. But I too strayed off topic by mentioning my experience with it as far as a rust inhibitor.
And what is this firing pin thing folks keep mentioning? :p

No argument about Barricade from me.
I believe the OP was looking for experience with using Ballistol as a lubricant. I do use it on my lock, sparingly, with no gumming issues. But I too strayed off topic by mentioning my experience with it as far as a rust inhibitor.
And what is this firing pin thing folks keep mentioning? :p

I think it's an unmentionable except when you're 15 years old.

Never noticed it at Canadian tire. But then, the laundry detergent section alone at my local is larger than the out doors area, so i don`t go there a lot

Never noticed it at Canadian tire. But then, the laundry detergent section alone at my local is larger than the out doors area, so i don`t go there a lot
Try the automotive section. CT is definitely offering less outdoor products lately.

I think I’m going to search or start a new thread on barrel protectants but here is a good comparison video off the You Tubes.

It even includes tat brand available at Canada Tire.

Unfortunately it only Compares commercially available penetrating oils, and dose not talk about how they are on blueing.

Straight Ballistol or cut? If cut what ratio? I’ve barely broken my barrel in and have tried 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 grns of powder with a tight patch with poor results. Eventually I’ll try another powder (using 3F Olde E) but first I want to try patch lubes as I’m sure the cheap grape seed oil is sub par, but the wife got very mad and scolded me when she caught me looking at her olive oil so it was all she allowed me to take.
I use 15 - 20 percent Ballistol to 80 percent water with a dash of dish soap. Before that, I used water soluable machine oil and water 20/80 for about 30 years. Never had a problem. I use Thompson's bore butter in the bore/on the rifle before I put the rifle away.
I strongly believe that the lock was not tight to the barrel and black powder fouling settled into the lock workings. Over the years, the fouling caused the damage to the lock. On a flinter, I epoxy a shim tween the lock and the barrel if there is a gap.

Back