• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Value and rarity of Springfield 1855 Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTCossack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My father-in-law sent me an email of some guns that his friend's widow has. Among them is a Springfield Model 1855 rifle in what appears to be pretty good shape. The stock seems intact, the ramrod is present, and metal has only mild corrosion in spots. I've only seen a few photos so I have no idea of the condition of the bore or if there are any hidden surprises, but It's stamped "1858."

I'm not looking for an appraisal or anything, but I know next to nothing about these Civil War era guns and never really learned about them. I'm curious for my own interest, and I'd love to be able to pass on some information and an approximate value to the widow. To my in-laws, I'm the "gun guy," so I get all the gun questions.

I can't imagine these are super rare, but it's pretty neat.

M1855 1.jpg
1855 tang.jpg
1855 top.jpg
1855 forend.jpg

Is that the rifle with provision for Maynard tape priming? Could you post a photo showing the lock, in some detail, just one or two good, clear pictures? Looks like a well-preserved rifle-musket.
No, I can't. Like I said, I don't have the rifle in hand, unfortunately. I'm getting the photos third-hand via my father-in-law.

Yes, this is the one that was made to be able to use the Maynard "cap-gun" tape strips.

Thank you for your response. Most CW rifle-muskets hold little interest for me, but this one IS interesting. I apologize for not being able to answer your question, but I thank you for the posts.

Thank you for your response. Most CW rifle-muskets hold little interest for me, but this one IS interesting. I apologize for not being able to answer your question, but I thank you for the posts.

Not at all. Thank you for replying. I wish I had better photos and more info, which would allow others to give me more helpful responses.

I didn't even know about the Maynard system until I got the photos this morning and started digging around for info. I've always been into flint-era rifles and muskets and never paid much attention to CW guns, but I agree this is interesting.

1855s are much more scarce than 1861s and 1863 and command higher prices. Far fewer were made, and, being the primary rifled musket at the start of the Civil War, attrition was very high. Assuming that the tape primer guts on the lock are intact and the stock is in good shape that musket should sell for as much or more as the one on Cowan's despite there being no bayonet. Collector value is not enhanced by removing aged patina.

What she has is an 1855 Rifle-Musket (as stated above) and not a '55 Rifle. A rifle (33" barrel) could be worth $1000 more that a rifle-musket (40" barrel). That one is in nice shape and searching the auctions should give you a value. Her's has the long range rear sight while the one in the auction has the later rear sight similar to the '61 & '63 rear sights. Things to look for are an intact and functioning Maynard tape primer (sometimes missing parts) and 2 inspectors stamps in the wood on the left flat above the trigger guard. Cleaning is acceptable as long as it doesn't remove much patina. Aggressive cleaning and/or sanding the wood will seriously detract from the value. While what gemmer said is true they aren't difficult to find if you go looking for one. I haven't paid them much mind as I don't care for them. I skirmished with one for a season and the high hump of the lock plate due to the Maynard system slows down capping and is awkward for me. A friend loves them and she had as many as a half dozen one time, still skirmishes with one. As an aside a friend and I played war with a mint iron mounted '55 rifle with original sling and an equally mint rifled '42 with the long range sight when we were kids. They sold for $25 each in '57 when the brothers decided they needed a boat to water ski.

A 1855 just sold on Cowan's Auction on May 6th -

I own a rifle that is identical to the Cowans Auction rifle. The metal is better, minty. IT is was not polished with a modern wheel, all markings are perfect. The stock has strong undisturbed inspectors cartuches opposite the lock. One marking is JK in a rectangle and ELA in a round corner rectangle.

The stock was scraped. Not sanded. The bands are a bit loose. There are dark remnants of dents under the scrape marks. It was specualted that the rifle was arsenal refinished, stored, and surplused out. Does this theory make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back