• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb question about powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold the end wrapped between thumb and index finger just low enough it makes like a funnel. Pour the powder slow. If it clogs give the horn a light tap to start it flowing again. If the hole is too small you might consider making it bigger.

The old Goex cans had a small diameter mouth. I could stick the spout of the horn into the can mouth and hold it there, tip the can upside down and by pressing my ear against the can I could hear when the flow stopped and knew the horn was full. Bring it back down to right side up and carefully separate without spilling. Now I usually use the thumb and index finger funnel.

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I normally roll a full sheet of printer paper into a cone, like a dunce cap. Some scotch tape keeps it from unrolling. Use the sharpened tip of a pencil to open up the pointed end of the cone enough that powder flows through it easily, but leave the tip small enough to fit into the horn tip. Works for me.

It seems to me that the removable tip of a doctor's or audiologist's otoscope would make a perfect powder horn funnel, but I've been unable to get one and try it. I've asked a couple of times during office visits, but was told they sterilize and re-use the tips.

There was a photo on another forum recently of an antique powder horn the had a threaded knob in the base. The wooden knob was for attachment of the carry strap, but it had a threaded shank that screwed into a pretty good-sized threaded hole in the base. It would have been easy to fill the horn through that opening in the base.

Track of the Wolf sells a brass fitting that functions on the same principle. It has a brass knob with a threaded shank that screws into a threaded bushing you can install in the base of the horn. It has a rubber O-ring to seal it tightly. The really clever part, though, is that the thread pitch is the same as the threads on large powder flask spouts... and the powder flask funnels made bY Treso and Pedersoli. Probably a modern innovation and not authentic, but practical.

Notchy Bob

Just pour and tap. You wont loose anything.

Attachments

• 029 (800x600).jpg
    029 (800x600).jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 98
I use a similar method as phill coffin does, except I use a stainless steel piece of brake line, Make sure you cut your brake line on one of the two ends that have the flare ( don’t cut in the middle of the line, you’ll use your flare as a stopper for the line).Drill a hole in your metal lid, slide the brake line through to the flanged part then epoxy in place. now with the new plastic goex containers I simply use a larger funnel and pour from plastic container into my metal one, then I’m ready to fill powder horn. I know it sounds like a pain, but I don’t spill any powder at all with this method.

Last edited:
I use a reloading funnel. It has a recess that normally would fit over a cartridge case but also fits over the horn spout.

I have a couple of funnels that I use when I fill my horns or flasks. I have used the paper cone and I have a measure with a funnel.
IMG_1829.JPG

This funnel is pretty small and works best with 3fg or smaller powder.

I have a brass funnel that is threaded for use with powder flasks. I also have a funnel I made from a horn tip left over from making a powder horn.

IMG_1858.JPG

The brass funnel fits over the valve on the small horn for loading. The valve unscrews from the tip of the large horn for filling. Also the acorn at the base of the horn unscrews for filling from the base.

Powder funnels are available from many ML supply houses. Dixie has one, and the last time I checked so did Log Cabin and TOW.
I have a small one made from the tip of a horn and it travels in my hunting pouch along with a turn-screw, spare jag, bullet worm, and some spare flints and leather jaw pads. If you buy a funnel, I recommend horn, brass, or bronze.

Back