• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some indication that slings may have been tied to the barrel and wrist as a temporary attachment. There is little to indicate wide use of slings or of attached sling swivels built on the firearm other than a military issued musket.
Grenadier, that is what I figured. Thanks for the info. Ive heard of temporarily using a bit of rope as well.

Grenadier, that is what I figured. Thanks for the info. Ive heard of temporarily using a bit of rope as well.

They would have used their sash as well, in time of need. I’m with Grenadier. It was rare on American Longrifles. It was seen occasionally in some areas of the Colonies and on German guns, etc. The NAs were know to sling some so it may be more HC to have a rope, handmade leather, or sash sling on trade guns....

I've shown these pictures before that were painted by Carl Bodmer while he was preparing to be the documentary artist for Prince Maxmillian's Grand Trip on the American Plains. The paintings were done in New Harmony, Ohio about 1826.

Note the hunter does not have a sling. He is presumably much younger than the naturalist who is collecting specimens. Also note that Lesueur the naturalist, who has the sling, is standing with the butt of the fowling piece on the ground.

IMG_0462_Small.jpg
IMG_0466 Small.JPG

Slings might not have been commonplace in the 18th century but I installed one on mine. It sure is a handy addition and has no downside.
PICT0589-zps72e7aebd.jpg

This rifle is, unfortunately, not mine. A friend built it for himself and it is gorgeous. He likes slings enough to put them on some rifles he builds.
rifle-1997-2-Small.jpg

Most German rifles and fowlers and some French fusils (a French rifle is rare) had slings. The French Trade guns and fusils (non-military) supplied to New France generally did not have slings. I am told that the surfaces of the Alps are more vertical than the Rockys, so a sling would be useful. Few American fowlers seemed to have had slings. See Grinslade's book. Then it is can be difficult to tell on guns that show evidence of slings, when was the sling added. Also can be difficult to see in a pic if a fowler/fusil had a sling, if the sling attachments have been removed. Att. are a couple pics of French fusils with slings.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0745 (2).JPG
    DSCF0745 (2).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 84
this is my southern mountain rifle I got the other day. I have already shown photos but without a sling. I made the sling a couple of days ago out of vintage horse reins. I have several vintage rifles with these reins as dose my jaeger and shooting bag and horns. I like them,,,,,,,,,,,,,
_MG_5674.JPG
_MG_5675.JPG
_MG_5672.JPG

I've shown these pictures before that were painted by Carl Bodmer while he was preparing to be the documentary artist for Prince Maxmillian's Grand Trip on the American Plains. The paintings were done in New Harmony, Ohio about 1826.

Note the hunter does not have a sling. He is presumably much younger than the naturalist who is collecting specimens. Also note that Lesueur the naturalist, who has the sling, is standing with the butt of the fowling piece on the ground.

View attachment 30242View attachment 30243
These types of period paintings are very interesting and important, Is that a belt pouch in the first painting?

Miller did paint a sling on a rifle that looks a permanent attachment. Though with Miller it’s hard to tell.
I think it was Kurtz that shows a rifle on a sling across the back of a trapper/ Métis or Indian ( maybe all three) but it’s impossible to tell if it’s on the gun or a snow cover.
This is westren fur trade period sixty years plus after colonial- longhunter period.

I don't think so. There is a line in the painting that seems to come from the pouch and runs up the hunter's back.

Very cool. I like his hat.

I think slings mayn’t have been so popular as now because it may’ve been enthoughten that the rifle is best in the hands at all times, so it may be ready to shoulder in case a wild bear or native be encountered, or of course, game. And, then much like today, most huntists wouldn’t be walking too terribly far unlike a soldier on the march. I have also personally found a very long barreled gun quite a hindrance to carry in the brush by way of shoulder sling. In the hands, it’s is much easier to maneuver through thickets and things as one can see the barrel and guide it around bushs and other obstacles. Slung, it quickly catches on limbs and vines, this would be especially true for a longrifle or fowling piece of common length.

This is only conjecture, though.

Conjecture, perhaps, or experiential archeology which is not proof by any means, but can give insight to what was happening at the time. One thing to consider is that at the time, most of the forests were virgin timber and thickets and brush were few and far between. Other than the extensive cane brakes of Kentucky and brush around swamps and edges of forest, the timbered areas were pretty clear of underbrush.

I am also intrigued by the size of the hunter's pouch. It seems to be quite small ( 7" ?) although the horn is quite large (12" to 14"?). In contrast the naturalist has a very large pouch suited to use by a fowler to hold the necessary equipment for shooting a lot birds for study.

The indications of a tied on sling are unfortunately conjecture and not readily documentable. I can't find records of sales of slings at the trading posts in Illinois and eastward. There are sales of tape and straps.

And what did they tie with them straps and tape?
We today are a do it your self sport. And we all have our likes and dislikes. I don’t mind sewing , but I have no interest in black or white smithing. So I buy iron work and tin ware.
I can’t this a pot.
Some are happy to smith or pot, and we trade at events. And for those who want something there are some good sized companies ready to sell.
But, as a sort we like to do it ourselves.
Howsomever, back then people bought what they could and only made when they had to.
Clothing, shoes and boots, powder horns and commercial bags all went to the trading post.
I would hazard a guess that while any man could make a sling out of tape if there was a market for slings such would show up in ledgers.
I think.

this is my southern mountain rifle I got the other day. I have already shown photos but without a sling. I made the sling a couple of days ago out of vintage horse reins. I have several vintage rifles with these reins as dose my jaeger and shooting bag and horns. I like them,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 31189View attachment 31190View attachment 31191
Olskool is that front swivel just drilled through the wood? I’d like to put one on my trade musket. Is it reenforced in any way? Thanks!

Back