• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Rifle Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

32 Cal
Reaction score
I found an old percussion rifle at an antique shop that has no markings on it. The I.D at the end of the barrel measures 0.450" but the I.D. at the bottom of the barrel measures about 0.370". Could this be a shotgun rather than a rifle? I don't plan to try and shoot it. I will probably hang it on the wall, but i was curious about it's design.

Pictures sure would help. If "the bottom of the barrel" means the breech end of the bore, and the rifle has a patent breech, that smaller diameter may be a "powder well" in the breech face. Thompson/Center's sidelock percussion rifles have this feature. T/C used to market a breech scraper that was specially shaped to get down in the powder well of their guns to clean out fouling.

It may also be possible that you have a ring or buildup of filth and corruption down there. Maybe you can find a gunsmith who has a bore scope, who will take a look for you.

Notchy Bob

We have to assume you have bought it and removed and unbleached the barrel to be able to measure the Inside Diameter at both ends. If it has rifling it is a rifle, if it doesn't it is a smoothbore or a "smooth rifle". .450 doesn't correspond to any standard shotgun bores even allowing for a choke bore.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 164
Did you pull the breechplug to get your breech measurement?
No, there is no plug; all welded up. I dropped different caliber conventional rounds down the barrel until one went all of the wat down and then measured the O.D. of that round., so I am just guessing at the I.D. at the bottom of the barrel.

Back