• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birds Eye Stocked Flintlock I Just Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a really nice gun! I've seen that wood on bow limbs ( longbow & recurve). But, never on a gun.

Here is a smaller Beck type rifle I finished up today. The components came from Pecatonica and started out from their Beck Boys kit. It is 36 caliber and has a 36" Rice 3/4" octagon barrel that Pecatonica turned down the front portion. Small Siler lock and mostly their brass components and a few of mine. The wood is very dense and was a joy to work.

View attachment 30735View attachment 30736View attachment 30737View attachment 30738View attachment 30739View attachment 30740View attachment 30741View attachment 30742View attachment 30743View attachment 30744
Just stunning. I don't believe I've ever seen a prettier gun.
Neil

Very beautiful rifle and most unusual wood. That is a different birdseye for sure. I know a couple highly accomplished builders who absolutely refuse to work with birdseye because it can be difficult to work. It seems the 'eyes' have a tendency to pop out just as the project is nearing finishing. Glad it worked well for you.

I have worked on several birds eye maple stocks in the past both original and rebuild , it is very cross grained and your chisel must be razor sharp ,also the grain can make them very weak in the wrist ,not really for the novice build but a eye stunner when finised
Feltwad

Very impressive, well done. Gets a 10++ from me.
A good friend has been working on a bird's eye maple blank for about 10years, has a nice 36 cal barrel and small lock for it. He was going good then got promoted to Sgt and moved to nights. Now he sleeps all day.
Im gonna pass these pics on to him, maybe give him some Inspiration.
Thanks for posting.

Cherrybow, no stain was used. Aquafortis (heated,sanded and steel wooled), followed by two coats of TOW Original Oil, two coats of Permalyn and two coats of Chambers finish. I also burnished it after that.

I did loose a few eyes rights near the completion of the sanding.

That is the most beautiful piece I have ever seen made from bird's-eye Maple. I once made a piece from a stick of the same type Maple with "touches" of bird's-eye and discovered the most difficult wood to decorate with carving, ever!

Yours is obviously made by a Master.

Congratulations!

Don in NH

E090210A-B28E-47A4-972E-B7C750E60766.gif

Well, I got to sight it in this morning. Shoots great. It seems to like 40 gn's of Swiss 4F with a .350 ball and a .18 thick patch.
Not opening a can of worms here, but your load says 4f? Not sure i have seen this large of a load with 4f. Largest i have seen is 30ish in a 44 cap and ball. Please guys, not a can of worms here. If you atr using 4f, Britsmoothy will love you forever!

It is a beautiful rifle.

You are correct, I use 3F. I can not alter my previous post though.
Now you have done it. Britsmoothy does not have a man crush on you anymore for not using 4f. :) You can edit your posts for like 30 minutes or so after posting i believe.

Does not matter georgous rifle. Very unique and definitely a beautiful work of art. The wood itself speaks volumes itself. If i could build anything l like that it would never be sold but passed down.

Latest posts

Back