• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ballistol as a Lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New here and new to BP. I just ran a serch here for Ballistol because I am nearly out, and the stuff is hard to find. Good to know that there are other, maybe better, alternatives.

There are many functional lubes/lube mixes - Ballistol, olive oil, spit, etc.
If you like Ballistol, it is easy enough to mail order if the local hardware or gun store doesn't stock it.

You can order it from Walmart and have it delivered to your local store for free and local pickup. When I ordered mine it took a couple of days to get in. I didn't want the aerosol and that was the easiest and cheapest way to get the liquid.

New here and new to BP. I just ran a serch here for Ballistol because I am nearly out, and the stuff is hard to find. Good to know that there are other, maybe better, alternatives.

According to the MSDS for Ballistol the main lubricant is medical grade mineral oil.

There are other ingredients that add to it's lubricity, and it is thinned in aerosol form with isohexane to be sprayable, but mineral oil is the main ingredient.

You can order it from Walmart and have it delivered to your local store for free and local pickup. When I ordered mine it took a couple of days to get in. I didn't want the aerosol and that was the easiest and cheapest way to get the liquid.

Awesome! I will try that.

I like that it is water soluble; what is the ingredient(s) that allow for that?

I like that it is water soluble; what is the ingredient(s) that allow for that?

It is not water soluble. it is an emulsion. It contains oleic acid which is an emulsifying agent. it also contains an unspecified alkaline salt.

Last edited:
I have tested Ballistol with fouling and left both revolvers in my humid summer Texas for days and can attest that it absolutely does not rust. I applied it to the fouling as is and just let them sit after a range day. Once oil is absorbed by the fouling it leaves no room for moisture.

I love Ballistol because I no longer need to concern myself, after cleaning, to use another chemical (used to be WD-40) to remove the water, which then needed removed. Been doing so for at least 8 years now.

I have tested Ballistol with fouling and left both revolvers in my humid summer ....

Ok, looks like I will be ordering a few more cans, at least for now. Maybe I will switch to something else later, but untill I really look into other options, I guess if it is good enough for the Germans, it is good enough for me.

Recently soaked pillow ticking in Ballistol and water, let it dry. Saw that recommended on youtube, I think. Haven't tried it yet, but am anxious to see if it works okay. Hate the smell, but easy to lube patch material. I do not use Ballistol to lube my gun.

Several years ago I read of a study on oil for best lock performance & the bottom line was that plain ol' 3 in 1 Oil was the best lock oil for smooth and optimum lock time.
I believe that. 3 in 1 is light stuff with low viscosity. Ballistol is fairy thick (in comparison) so would slow down the lock.
Now let’s take it to the extreme, cosmoline! The stuff is great protectant, but I woul not advise using it as a lock lube. Then again, maybe it does have a place in the MZ community too.

I haven’t shot blackpowder (or anything) with much regularity or frequency lately, so I like the thought that Ballistol offers some long term protection.

I got Ballistol from Amazon pretty cheap.
I couldn't find it with free shipping,but I only looked quickly before heading here to see what y'all's thoughts were on it.

I am new here and to BP, so I have been running off rumor and assumptions for my first 100 shots.

Walmart has it for $16.99 for 16 oz. I think shipping is free to your local store if you don't require 2 day delivery.
Yes, that Walmart price beats my Amazon price finds, even with prime.
If I can't find it local, I will Walmart it. I just like to buy from local / small guys when I can.

I buy very little from Wallyworld, but it was the one place where I could order Ballistol liquid rather than aerosol which was available locally, but also at a big box store.

I buy very little from Wallyworld, but it was the one place where I could order Ballistol liquid rather than aerosol which was available locally, but also at a big box store.
Ya, the world is what it is sometimes. And I see far to many wonder cleaners at the small gun shops now, and less and less tried and true. Guess it goes along with everyone and their dogs being more into Tacticool ARs now.

I've never seen Ballistol for sale in Canada. We have here Fluid Film that is based on lanolin. It is very thick and tends to lify fouling when you swab the barrel.

Back