• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What to Read during Social Isolation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinekayak

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I've binged on Fauda and Bosh on Netflix. I am all caught up with Jack Ryan on Amazon. Just finished the latest Vince Flynn novel.
I need something to read and am looking for suggestions. Looking for good fiction from the Rev War up through the fur trade era. I tried the William Johnstone "The First Mountain Man" series; I thought the first book was great but then it seemed like the rest just rehashed old scenes. I am a huge fan of Napoleonic Wars Naval fiction, Alexander Kent, Dudley Pope, Patrick O'Brian, etc etc. I am looking for something along the same line but set on land. Gritty realism and a good technical knowledge by the writer. Any suggestions? Preferably fiction but good non fiction is ok too. Like Turn Washington's spies.... but books.
Thanks!

So I've binged on Fauda and Bosh on Netflix. I am all caught up with Jack Ryan on Amazon. Just finished the latest Vince Flynn novel.
I need something to read and am looking for suggestions. Looking for good fiction from the Rev War up through the fur trade era. I tried the William Johnstone "The First Mountain Man" series; I thought the first book was great but then it seemed like the rest just rehashed old scenes. I am a huge fan of Napoleonic Wars Naval fiction, Alexander Kent, Dudley Pope, Patrick O'Brian, etc etc. I am looking for something along the same line but set on land. Gritty realism and a good technical knowledge by the writer. Any suggestions? Preferably fiction but good non fiction is ok too. Like Turn Washington's spies.... but books.
Thanks!
Bernard cornwell series called sharpe. Based on a soldier, richard sharpe in the 95th rifles. All napoleonic era, walking throughout france and spain. First book is india called sharpes tiger. About 15 books in the series. Sharpes, waterloo, trafalgar, sword, rifles, company, regiment. All great land adventures.

Have you read the Alan Lewrie books?
Cornwall also did a civil war series the copperhead books that was good.
Michners Chesapeake was a fun read. As was Lamores Sakkets land , far blue mountains warriors trail and jubal sakkett.
It’s fiction, all fluff but good reads.
townsends has a whole collection of journals that are supper... and real.
Do you have a kindle? You can get a lot of westren journals for free or a buck

Oh also the winning of America books by ekret. Half fiction half non fiction. Sherria’s rise to rebellion and glorious cause on the revolution and his gone for a soldier on the Mexican war. Fiction but close to real events.

I have read the Sharpe series. I loved it. I must have missed Shaara "Rise to Rebellion" I have read his ACW books and WW2, I'll take a peak at that. Yes, I have read the Lewrie books, I'll give him a +1 for shooting a Ferguson Rifle. I think my favorite age of sale books are the Alexander Kent. I'm working through the Dudley Pope Ramage series now and enjoying those. Thanks for all the suggestions. Anything along those lines but set more on the US side and on land?

I've been enjoying journals from the colnial and early America periods. My favorite, so far, is "Journal of Nicholas Cresswell, 1774 - 1777". I got my copy from Jas. Townsend and sons. They have many more of a similar nature and their prices are good.

I was going to suggest the O'Brian or Cornwell series but everyone beat me to it.

Jeff

a couple to recommend but most are historical non-fiction:

All the books I've read from Nathaniel Philbrick are excellent - "Mayflower" is really great. His research and writing are fantastic.
Paul Revere's Ride, David Hackett Fischer another talented researcher and writer
Undaunted Courage, (Lewis & Clark) one of Stephen Ambrose's best books, IMO
The Revenant, Michael Punke (way better than the movie - and I like the movie a lot)

Just started "firearms, traps, and tools of the Mountain Man" by Carl P. Russell. After that I will re read the Lewis & Clark journal. That should get me through till this ends.

If you are interested in Mountain men and the Westward Expansion, there are two books written in the early 1900’s by a guy who lived it are:
“Thirty-one years on the plains and in the mountains” and “Chief of Scouts piloting emigrants across the plains of 50 years ago”, by Captain William F. Drannan.
Both page turners for me!

Im notorious for reading several books at once. I keep one by my bed, one in the living room, and of course one in the "Water Closet ".

By my bed is "Hunting the Elephant in Africa ", by CH Stigand. In the WC is "The Recollections of William Finaughty, Elephant Hunter, 1864-1875. Finaughty used a muzzle loader most of his career, a 4 bore he loaded with course black powder by the handful. His hunting jacket had a lined pocket to pour the powder into. He used hardened lead balls as pure lead was too soft for big game.
The living room has "Hunter's Tracks, by JA Hunter. He was a safari guide in the first half of the 20th century.

I enjoyed Crow Killer, and all of Louis L'Amour's books are great fiction. My favorites include Flint, Hondo, Iron Marshal, The Man Called Noon.

Just started “The Rifleman” by Oliver North. Military fiction set during the AWI. Its set in my neighborhood in northern Virginia. Strange reading about troops sneaking around on roads im familiar with. So far so good. I’ll through out a full review when I’m done.

I can recommend four for serious entertainment right off the top of my head and within sight on the book shelves recently built during my hobby room make over.

A nephew in Texas sent me "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos.
It was a nice read. Together with characters' bio's, here's what it's about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown_and_Franz_Stigler_incident
"The Fruits Of Graft" (Wayne Jett) is a good one, about "great depressions then and now".

If you haven't seen it, the book "The Temple At The Center Of Time" (David Flynn) is enough to keep anyone occupied for a week at least with deciphering the author's work. Once you get a handle on it you will have more questions than answers. But the next time someone tries to tell you that something was just coincidence or is a big enough dummy to trot out the "tinfoil hat" line you might find yourself giving them a pretty serious Jack Elam stare.

One more I will throw out there, "The Most Dangerous Book In The World" (S. K. Bain). No way to explain the concepts embodied in the book without either a college level course being taught or else just reading it for yourself.

Ah, just thought of something. Number five.
"Brotherhood Of Darkness" (Dr. Stanley Monteith); an amazing little book.

I'm currently re-reading "Jacob's Pillar, A Bibical Historical Study" (E. Raymond Capt). If you're interested in why things are happening in this old world the way they are, you can follow along through the centuries right on up 'til today. In 96 fascinating pages and that's including the pictures.

Marinekayak,

Give me a clue, "The Rifleman," is this written by the one and only Oliver North we all know and love from the Contra Affair? Excuse my ignorance but what is AWI? I'm from the Warrenton area of Northern Virginia, does this have anything to do with John Mosley? Interested.

Cobra 6

Back