• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How tough would a 495 ball be to load in my 50cal T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious I was given a box of 495 balls wondering how tough they would be to load instead of 490”s
Just don’t want to start it down the barrel then find out it wont go and have to pull it I know how much fun that can be if its really in there. I figure i would try with my thinnest Cotten patch and work my patch thick up a little at a time till I find its happy zone.

With ticking up to .018” and lube of whatever sort, it should not be an issue. A starter will be needed (unless your rifle is coned) and a stout hickory ramrod or heavy duty range rod will be a good idea. Expect good performance, many report excellent accuracy with .495s in a .50.

Listen to Carbon6. Especially with respect to the range rod. I would use the 0.495 if I had the short starter, wet lubricant and a solid brass or steel working rod. The thin patch is a good choice too.

Listening in on this. Would you get better rifling engagement with the 495 ball vs the 490?

I always use a range rod at the range.... I was told that is the best way.
For a while, I didn't even keep my wood rod in the gun.

Last edited:
It really depends on the gun. All are different. One might have a little more leway where another doesn't. I once grabbed the wrong ball by mistake. By the time I figured it out it was in far enough in that I couldn't stop as I had nothing to pull it. I figured might as well drive it down but could only get it so far before it was stuck. Could have been fowling at that point but whatever the problem was, it ended my shooting for the day. You idea of using thin patches is your best bet if you are determined to try. I'd do the first one in a clean cold bore to see how it goes first.

Listening in on this. Would you get better rifling engagement with the 495 ball vs the 490?

I always use a range rod at the range.... I was told that is the best way.
For a while, I didn't even keep my wood rod in the gun.
Not necessarily. If the ball size is too large, you will be tearing the patch on loading. The tearing will result in the patch getting shredded on firing and accuracy on target is lost. You want a patch and ball combination that over compresses the patch thickness slightly between the ball and the top of the land and had enough thickness to fill the grooves. With a good lubricant, that combination will remain intact on firing and engage the rifling for best accuracy.

Not necessarily. If the ball size is too large, you will be tearing the patch on loading. The tearing will result in the patch getting shredded on firing and accuracy on target is lost. You want a patch and ball combination that over compresses the patch thickness slightly between the ball and the top of the land and had enough thickness to fill the grooves. With a good lubricant, that combination will remain intact on firing and engage the rifling for best accuracy.
Thank you sir. I am new to this and have a LOT to learn.

Realizing that every rifle is different I tried various loads in my TC Hawken and came up with a 490 ball and 20 thousandth patch over 60gr of 2F was by far the best. 495 balls with a 10 thousandth patch loaded fine, but weren't as accurate. Other people prefer 495s. Give it a shot.

Like others have mentioned, the rifles themselves can vary. An old T/C Hawken I've got laying around somewhere does "okay" to 50 yards with .490"/.015" - but I bought it used with somewhat light rifling remaining and with the 48" twist it never shot roundball very well out to 100 yards.

On the other hand I own a flint Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 60" twist that absolutely loves .495"/.018" and repeatedly has shot 3" groups at 100 yards - once even pulling off a three shot cloverleaf.

The original question centered around a T/C Hawken - so as usual my response has drifted - but the main thing is that you have nothing to lose by trying.

The original question centered around a T/C Hawken - so as usual my response has drifted - but the main thing is that you have nothing to lose by trying.

Well, thanks for your drifting response because it brings up other topics. It brings up the point about differences with twist rates and max effective range with patch and ball.

I have an and older TC hawken I made from a 30 year old + kit. I couldn't pound a .495 ball down the barrel with any patch. This surprised me, I have had a bunch of TCs and could shoot .490s or .495s out of all of them.

I have an and older TC hawken I made from a 30 year old + kit. I couldn't pound a .495 ball down the barrel with any patch. This surprised me, I have had a bunch of TCs and could shoot .490s or .495s out of all of them.
Eric,I also had a Renegade .50 kit that I could hardly pound the ball down!! {.495} Almost made me quit shooting.Always tell beginners to start with the smaller ball/ patch combo.As they get more experienced they can play with the best combos.

Just curious I was given a box of 495 balls wondering how tough they would be to load instead of 490”s
Just don’t want to start it down the barrel then find out it wont go and have to pull it I know how much fun that can be if its really in there. I figure i would try with my thinnest Cotten patch and work my patch thick up a little at a time till I find its happy zone.

They will be a bit harder to start, but will then ram home with little to no increased effort.
I have even shot 54 cal balls in a 50 cal rifle. Hard to start, yes! But shot very well! Goes in round, but comes out elongated!

Back