• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adequacy of .45 Roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How adequate is a .45 flintlock rifle against deer? To what range can it reliably take a white tail? Is the difference drastically different than .50 caliber? -Larry

How adequate is a .45 flintlock rifle against deer? To what range can it reliably take a white tail? Is the difference drastically different than .50 caliber? -Larry

I like 45’s for whitetails. I’ve taken bucks similar to this one from last year out to 75 yards or so. Quick kills. I’ve used 50’s also and see no drastic difference when used within its limitations.

AE25CC69-B907-4AD8-A430-FFBA7AD1D6CC.png

Good luck, Skychief.

A .45 is excellent for whitetails of any size. Good out to your ability to place a the shot where it needs to go, under field conditions, within the ethical boundaries of any muzzle loading gun.

The last deer I harvested with a ..45 ball was approximately 50 yds away in the brush (which is a long shot in the area I hunt). I was at an angle that the ball went through both lungs and broke the shoulder on the other side lodging under the hide. The deer ran about 40 yds and laid down to die. I like the caliber for white tail.....

Most of my muzzleloading deer kills were accomplished with a couple of .45 rifles. My longest kill with a .45 was 75 yards. The .45 is my favorite.

Nothing wrong with a .45. As others have said, within its limitations. Same as bows, pistols, etc. have limitations. A .45 muzzleloading rifle certainly rates above those instruments, which are quite sufficient in themselves, and regularly used to take deer.

.45 cal prb is the ideal whitetail caliber. All deer I have taken with a muzzle loader were put down by a .45. With proper placement they never (with one exception) went beyound about 20 yards. That exception was about 50 yards. My charges were moderate compared to what many others like. I used 65 grains of real bp.

.45 cal prb is the ideal whitetail caliber. All deer I have taken with a muzzle loader were put down by a .45. With proper placement they never (with one exception) went beyound about 20 yards. That exception was about 50 yards. My charges were moderate compared to what many others like. I used 65 grains of real bp.
I too found about 65 grains, 3f in my case, to be ideal. I did find a 25 yard super accurate plinking load down around 35 or 40 grains, can't remember exactly. But accuracy fell of quick with that past 25 yards.

In my experience, a .45 loaded with a .445 patched round ball on top of 80 gr FFg is more effective at killing deer than a 1989 Buick Skylark. Every deer that I've shot with that load has gone down fast, but half the deer I hit with that ol' Buick ran away.
Jay

You need to find yourself an old Ford Falcon. Very effective on deer and many states have a special "Falcon" hunting season as a bonus.

Falconing is a respected ancient and traditional sport and Falconing for deer can be an exciting adventure.

The Falcon is much more suited to such pursuits than the Skylark.

You need to find yourself an old Ford Falcon. Very effective on deer and many states have a special "Falcon" hunting season as a bonus.

Falconing is a respected ancient and traditional sport and Falconing for deer can be an exciting adventure.

THAT’S above average.

First car I ever drove was a 1962 Delux Falcon. Best deer killer was an F350 flatbed Ford that belonged to Anderson's, my employer, after I moved to Arkansas. Most deer killed with an old CVA Kentucky from a kit in .45; killed a lot of everything with it. About my favorite caliber.

My flintlock buck was taken at around 50 yards this year with a .45 prb. Base of the neck and he dropped in his tracks........lights out before he hit the ground!! Come to think of it.........that is the longest shot I have ever taken at a deer with a Muzzleloader!!

Attachments

• 92181EEA-D83E-46FE-90A8-199F37853004.jpeg
    92181EEA-D83E-46FE-90A8-199F37853004.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 101
Back