• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoper05

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I built my first kit rifle.
I like it alot.I think it turned out pretty good if I may say so myself.
I'm no gun builder but I'm happy with it.
Screenshot_2020-05-04-17-43-02.png
Screenshot_2020-05-04-17-43-13.png
Screenshot_2020-05-04-17-43-19.png
Screenshot_2020-05-04-17-43-33.png

I do still have to clean up the lock and age the metal like I did on the rest of the metal Parts though. I'm going to do that this weekend.

I've learned that you can't go wrong with a Kibler rifle kit.
The precision that he puts into those kits are amazing.
I recommend them to anybody who is nervous about building a first gun.
Are these kits just "sand & stain" or do you actually have to use chisels and drills?

You need to square the inside corners of inlets, especially a tiny bit of inletting on the breech plug and lock, and fine finish inletting the buttplate. I’d say you could get by with one 1/8” or 3/16” chisel. You have to file slight drafts in some furniture. You have to drill your lugs and stuff but the stock is predrilled. You need to draw file the barrel (optional). You need to file sprues and fine finish filing the furniture. Jim says the pile of wood you need to take off will fit on a quarter. That’s about right. It’s not quite sand and stain but you can finish one in a few weeks if you also brown the metal and take your time.

Jim has a series of videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
Are these kits just "sand & stain" or do you actually have to use chisels and drills?
Tiny bit of drilling such as the under logs up the barrel and Trigger guard. And a small amount of chiseling on some parts such as the barrel Tang just so it's it's right. For a whole lot more chiseling if you decide to put in a patchbox such as I did.

You need to square the inside corners of inlets, especially a tiny bit of inletting on the breech plug and lock, and fine finish inletting the buttplate. I’d say you could get by with one 1/8” or 3/16” chisel. You have to file slight drafts in some furniture. You have to drill your lugs and stuff but the stock is predrilled. You need to draw file the barrel (optional). You need to file sprues and fine finish filing the furniture. Jim says the pile of wood you need to take off will fit on a quarter. That’s about right. It’s not quite sand and stain but you can finish one in a few weeks if you also brown the metal and take your time.

The lock actually didn't need any chiseling at all it was actually a drop in. And I got the rifle on Thursday and I finished it on Monday.

You were pretty much exactly right on about everything else you said. And those videos that Jim has on building these are awesome.

The lock actually didn't need any chiseling at all it was actually a drop in. And I got the rifle on Thursday and I finished it on Monday.

You may be right but Jim says his CNC machining leaves 1/32nd rounded corners in the inlets and suggests you square those for a perfect fit. Especially on the lock as the bolster has to fit the barrel flat tightly. It’s a good idea.

Time depends on what you're after I suppose. Application of a good stock finish should take a week as should any rust browning of the metal. The ones I’ve done took a month or so but I did put a handmade Patchbox, nosecap, sights and pipes on most of them, not to mention engraving on the locks. I guess I could’ve done the gun in 10 days start to finish if not for those touches as I have built quite a few guns, but I am slow. Take your time and it will make as good a rifle as a $3500 Custom gun.

Your gun turned out really nice. BTW, LMF Browning Solution is a great solution for browning or French greying your metal.

Last edited:
Just the drilling of the barrel lugs and pipes but the stock is predrilled to guide you, so it’s just a matter of clamping them in and drilling through. You also need to widen the barrel lug holes parallel with the barrel so the stock can contract and expand without stressing. Easy. I must admit the last one I built was the end of last year and Jim and Catherine may have streamlined things a bit. Scoper05 may have updated info.

Last edited:
Any drill and tapping of any metal parts at all? Greg
the only drilling was done on the barrel lugs and the trigger guard and ramrod pipe plugs. Other than that everything else is drilled and tapped such as the lock and the but plate and whatnot.

You may be right but Jim says his CNC machining leaves 1/32nd rounded corners in the inlets and suggests you square those for a perfect fit. Especially on the lock as the bolster has to fit the barrel flat tightly. It’s a good idea.

Time depends on what you're after I suppose. Application of a good stock finish should take a week as should any rust browning of the metal. The ones I’ve done took a month or so but I did put a handmade Patchbox, nosecap, sights and pipes on most of them, not to mention engraving on the locks. I guess I could’ve done the gun in 10 days start to finish if not for those touches as I have built quite a few guns, but I am slow. Take your time and it will make as good a rifle as a $3500 Custom gun.

Your gun turned out really nice. BTW, LMF Browning Solution is a great solution for browning or French greying your metal.
Thank you. I used the patina solution that Jim sells and it worked out real well and it was easy to use. Although if he didn't sell that I would have just used some Browning which I like as well. The hardest part about this cat was putting the patch box in. But of course that's because that's 100% in letting since there is no option for that. Lol

Latest posts

Back