• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two days!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It took two days to get a rabbit!
Big old fat Bess took hair off one, completely missed another but got the third.
It's nothing to be proud of!
I don't know why I carry her about, she has to be the most inefficient muzzloader in my collection.
Why my little .45" smooth rifle with less shot has more reach! And my .63".
It must be fatal attraction. Or am I constantly trying to justify her existence!
Any way. It was good to make a puff of smoke again and she is a reliable sparker if nothing else.
Fortunately I got a buck and not a doe. I watched him run around his doe spraying his pee in the shallow evening sunlight but they hopped into cover so I lost them.
Undeterred I approached the gorse they entered. I was only about 20yds away when one rabbit went one way and mine came out to check me out.
Bessy didn't hang around, I remembered seeing a spark, the pan flash and the rest blurred into mayhem! The rabbit squealed, I released Jess and she ran and grabbed it from within the gorse. It had crawled back in crippled but it was done and finished.
Now that's done I can put the cow back in the deepest part of the cabinet until next time she beckons.
The photos.
IMG_20200503_194832350.jpg

IMG_20200503_195848538.jpg

Take care folks.
B.

Good to hear from you, nice rabbit it will be a long time before our rabbit season opens back up then they can watch out I like hunting rabbits. Also that is good looking bunny territory. For now it is shooting paper a bit latter during the summer months will hunt groundhogs.

Brits, is there a season on rabbits over there? Great photos and nice video. Thanks for sharing.
No closed season friend.
I fear for our rabbits though.
There is a couple of new viruses that is hammering them nationwide.
There is no where near the numbers of just a decade ago.
You won't believe this maybe but it was imported from China! 🤣🤣🤣

Around here the rabbit population runs in cycles some years a lot other years not so many, I hunt them late in the season, all the rabbits harvested then are mostly bucks guess the does hole up. This past year was a good one for me every time I went a hunting them harvested 2 the limit is 4 but I have a self imposed rule of 2. I guess it is my way of helping the population.

You must be over run with rabbits to have no closed season. Are there many predators in the U.K., for instance feral cats, coyotes,wild dogs or foxes? I just had to mention coyotes because they are the main contributor to fewer game birds and rabbits in my neighborhood, even though you don't have them.

Brit, congrats on the hunt, and consider; the reason old Bess screams in your consciousness for rabbit meat is genetic memory from some upstart colonial disputes. It is probably heavier/balanced different from it's lighter smaller bored competitors. Hurrah for Jess!

You must be over run with rabbits to have no closed season. Are there many predators in the U.K., for instance feral cats, coyotes,wild dogs or foxes? I just had to mention coyotes because they are the main contributor to fewer game birds and rabbits in my neighborhood, even though you don't have them.
Fox's, buzzards, weasels and stoats, feral cats and now viruses.
We use to be over run but they are slowly getting less.

Hi Brit, You should be so Lucky. Bunnies are almost a thing of the past round NE LEIS.. Saw ONE(1) last year but May be with lock down a few might have a chance if only we can get at Charley. Put the cow away and go back to Lil-gun. Pre Mixxy days I could get a sack full of a morning. OLD DOG.

Something tells me that it won't be long before that cow beckons again! Some guns are like that, efficient or not, no?

Enjoyed this Britsmoothy. Beautiful country.

Is running rabbits with beagles very popular in the UK?

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.

Brits,
I feel your pain, Bro! Our rabbits are at the low point in their cycle. Five years ago I could take a dozen cottontails in an brief afternoon hunt. Now, I don’t think there a dozen bunnies in the whole county.
Thank you for taking us along and give Jess a treat from a fan.

Brit, You have a neat looking dog. What breed is she?
Lol, she is near to useless! She was a rescue dog. I got her to late to train properly. I often have to keep her tied to me. She thinks she knows best in everything! Sometimes she gets to run free.
She is a whippet cross dam and a Bedlington terrier sire.
Thank you for asking.

B.

Something tells me that it won't be long before that cow beckons again! Some guns are like that, efficient or not, no?

Enjoyed this Britsmoothy. Beautiful country.

Is running rabbits with beagles very popular in the UK?

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.
Thank you and yes, just something about her debauchery keeps one intrigued!
I use to know someone that worked hounds on rabbits but it is not very popular now, certainly around my way any way.
All the best to you Sky.

B.

Brits,
I feel your pain, Bro! Our rabbits are at the low point in their cycle. Five years ago I could take a dozen cottontails in an brief afternoon hunt. Now, I don’t think there a dozen bunnies in the whole county.
Thank you for taking us along and give Jess a treat from a fan.
Thank you.
Jess will get her treat, in fact she demands them every time we go in the kitchen!

B.

Back