• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What group size makes you happy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now in my late 60s, I share a lot of the same vision issues mentioned above. At this point 50 yds is max range for my .45 CVA for hunting. At that range a group of 2" would suffice. The cloverleafs of my youth are gone. If I can find a rear aperture sight to fit my old flinter I might go that route.

I'm contending w/ old eyes too and postponing cataract removal. The suction cup pinhole on my glasses & a wide hat brim, to shield from glare, keep groups from being too embarrassing. Unfortunately, many competitions don't allow it's use. (Can't think it an ageist attitude; too many of use share the problem).

Marshhawk,
The simplest aperture I've seen was no more than a thin piece of sheet metal about 3/8" wide bent a little beyond 90*. Drill a hole in the short part of the "L" to run your tang screw through and a small (1/16 - 1/8") hole near the top of the "L". After fastening to the tang screw it can be bent to vertical and then beyond to adjust elevation. Windage will be done by your from sight.

Crockett .32 and typical target.
PICT0433.jpg

PICT0510.jpg

.40 X 38" X "B" wgt barrel. 25 yd targets off hand - 30 shots/5 shots.

PICT0601-zps8a3b69e2.jpg

PICT0509-1.jpg

No pics but I do have 50 yd targets of 1" to 2" 5 shots. Got some 50 yd smoothbore targets 3 shots and 3". That was then, but this is now. Can't see well or shoot well nowadays. I can still hit deer but paper targets look more like shotgun patterns. Talk about "has-beens"!

It's a Dixie Gun Works TN Mountain Rifle, .50 cal. Mikuro made, circa 1979-1980 per DGW. Its had some work done(refinish, lock tuning, etc). Ive had a couple parts break on the lock but have it up and running and also have an L&R replacement lock. Its the one on top. Below it is an Investarms/Charles Daly .50 cal Hawken. View attachment 29360
Nice. Cut my BP teeth on my Dixie TM rifle. On the rack or at the range it's one fine looking rifle.

Today - This is good enough to make me happy.....
Pedersoli Frontier. 54 cal. .535 homecast ball, .010 minked cotton patch, 75gr 3f O.E. 50 yards
This is 5 rounds. The backstop was pretty tattered, so the paper did tear a lot, otherwise it would have been even better.
View attachment 29830
I’m still searching for a patch that thin for .535 otherwise I’m going to stick with .530 and easier obtainable patch material

My favorite rifle is a Bedford County Pennsylvania Rifle. .54 Colerain barrel. Load 70 grains of FFFG with .530 ball. I don't usually take pic's of groups but this 75 yard bench shot group proved (once again) the rifle usually out shoots the shooter. Shot on a perfect day Sept. last year.

Attachments

• .54 group.jpg
    .54 group.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
Most distances posted are kinda short for rifle ;),
how about throwing in What group size makes you happy? with pistol
OK,
This is a Numrich Underhammer pistol chambered in 44 - load is 430 roundball, 010 mink patch, 35gr 3f O.E.
Distance is 15 yards. Shot 2 handed free standing. These are the first three shots I took after acquiring the pistol from a fellow member here on the forum.
It was definitely good enough to make me happy.
20200421_113048.jpg

I’m still searching for a patch that thin for .535 otherwise I’m going to stick with .530 and easier obtainable patch material
I buy precut dry patches from TOTW. They are good high quality material and I mink saturate them in old cap tins by dripping melted mink oil into the tin. It takes less than 15 minutes to do 500 patches. That many "might" get me through a month - maybe 2 if the weather has been bad. That's about as easy as easy can be done.
20200501_212921.jpg

Crockett .32 and typical target.
PICT0433.jpg

PICT0510.jpg

.40 X 38" X "B" wgt barrel. 25 yd targets off hand - 30 shots/5 shots.

PICT0601-zps8a3b69e2.jpg

PICT0509-1.jpg

No pics but I do have 50 yd targets of 1" to 2" 5 shots. Got some 50 yd smoothbore targets 3 shots and 3". That was then, but this is now. Can't see well or shoot well nowadays. I can still hit deer but paper targets look more like shotgun patterns. Talk about "has-beens"!
What kind of load are you using in your Crockett Hanshi? Fine group! Squirrels must be nervous around your neck of the woods.

I buy precut dry patches from TOTW. They are good high quality material and I mink saturate them in old cap tins by dripping melted mink oil into the tin. It takes less than 15 minutes to do 500 patches. That many "might" get me through a month - maybe 2 if the weather has been bad. That's about as easy as easy can be done.
View attachment 30015
Just took a look on their web site...do you know if their measurements of the patches are compressed, or at rest?

I would expect the measurements would be at rest. There are too many variables in how each of us compresses the material. I compress slightly. Some compress to the point of abusing their precision micrometer. For each individual, ital all about being consistent in measuring the compression. While I get pretty close to the same measurements of a piece of fabric at the at rest measurement with any of my micrometers and calipers, the compressed measurement is different.

I have a piece of pillow ticking that with my selection of about 5 micrometers will give me a measurement of the thickness of the pillow ticking being 0.015" at rest will give me about 0.012" compressed with my digital calipers , 0.010" with my micrometers and the poor old extremely abused micrometer 0.006". Its all about consistency of measurement. You are looking to get material that will compress about the same every time you change to a different lot of fabric. When you load a tight patch combination, your compression will be greater than any compression you measure with your micrometer.

What kind of load are you using in your Crockett Hanshi? Fine group! Squirrels must be nervous around your neck of the woods.

30 grns of 3F, a .311" home cast ball and .015" pillow ticking lubed with Hoppes #9 BP Lube. 20 grns of 3F did well enough that any difference was tough to determine. That little rifle would really shoot!

Back