• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nothing Better Than a Hot Steamy Gutpile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Unless you have two!! Went out yesterday to a New Area.It is a strech of open Timber about 100 yards wide between two Bedding areas.Went up about 20 yards,on the South side,kicked the leaves out next to a big Oak,sat down,asked the Lords blessing on this hunt.I was using my CVA Hawken,54Cal.,patch and ball,90Gr. Pyrodex.

Little bit later caught sight of the back end of a Deer on the other side of a Deadfall,she bedded,I give a couple short calls on the Can,she got up,came around the Deadfall,look right at me,I shot couldn't see nothing for a minute,then the smoke cleared,seen her doing the Brown and White flippity,flop,field dressed her.Figured this place was good for one more.Drug her down where I was setting.

Sat and watched a couple Eagles,and the normal Squirrels.Then looked to my right seen another Doe coming up through the brush,she seen me but calmed down,put her down.

Thank you Lord!!

000_108705.jpg

Blue Smoke

And you're wearing BLUE OVERALLS! The one color deer seem to see best :haha:.

Way to go :thumbsup:

Good for you.

I came up empty in our one weekend m/l season. Had five does run past me at about 25 yards but wasn't comfortable with a fast, running shot. Saw legs & a belly on day two. Again, no shot. :(

Two in the freezer from one of those "other" internalized-action, brass encapsulated powder, center-primed rifles. :winking: But they won't taste as good.

Stumpkiller said:
Good for you.

I came up empty in our one weekend m/l season. Had five does run past me at about 25 yards but wasn't comfortable with a fast, running shot. Saw legs & a belly on day two. Again, no shot. :(

Two in the freezer from one of those "other" internalized-action, brass encapsulated powder, center-primed rifles. :winking: But they won't taste as good.

Try this next time you have Deer running by you.With your mouth make a deep,"BAAAAAAA".98% of the time they will stop in their tracks.I stopped two one day 10 minutes apart,running full out,killed both of them,both with a Muzzleloader.

Blue Smoke

I am beginning to think that roundball gun done gone and stole your heart!

Try this next time you have Deer running by you.With your mouth make a deep,"BAAAAAAA".98% of the time they will stop in their tracks.I stopped two one day 10 minutes apart,running full out,killed both of them,both with a Muzzleloader.

Blue Smoke

I whistled (as best as I can) when the last one was as close as it was going to get and they didn't even hesitate. Sometime that gets them to hold. These were making about 25 mph and had been spooked by a moving hunter who ambled along 15 minutes later with his gun slung over his shoulder, crunching through the noisy snow.

Stumpkiller said:

Blue Smoke

I whistled (as best as I can) when the last one was as close as it was going to get and they didn't even hesitate. Sometime that gets them to hold. These were making about 25 mph and had been spooked by a moving hunter who ambled along 15 minutes later with his gun slung over his shoulder, crunching through the noisy snow.

Yelp a loud sharp Whistle will put the breaks on them.

Blue Smoke

Runner said:

Yelp its the second one I've had,killed a lot of Deer with it.

Got to try the 50Cal. see how it does.

Blue Smoke

I have not used a conical in years until this year. The new Trapper barrel still is having problems with roundball, and that morning getting thru the ice with the boat to hunt that side of the lake was impossible in the dark. I needed that little extra range the conical gave me or I was going to have to hunt a different crossing. Actually, if it wasn't for the ice, I would have been duck hunting, not deer hunting. Using the boat to fetch birds pretty much requires being able to get to the bank!
We still need to go chase some squirrels or something around out at the property near Bourbon!

Ive always heard Lead mine is a good place. So far this year Ive taken 3 deer. I live in eldridge, not to far from you. May have to get together one day.

howdydoit said:
Ive always heard Lead mine is a good place. So far this year Ive taken 3 deer. I live in eldridge, not to far from you. May have to get together one day.

Your just across the river.My wifes Ex lives over there.

Lead Mine was hard hunting this year.I got the two Does over by Preston.

Blue Smoke

Yeah I heard something about black tounge or something like that. But Ive Got my first ML deer this year a doe. I took her last sunday befor last. And 2 small bucks during rifle. Its been a pretty good season for me. Alot of my friends arent having any luck, But thats huntin.

howdydoit said:
Yeah I heard something about black tounge or something like that. But Ive Got my first ML deer this year a doe. I took her last sunday befor last. And 2 small bucks during rifle. Its been a pretty good season for me. Alot of my friends arent having any luck, But thats huntin.

I sure hope one or both them Bucks were Buttons.

Blue Smoke

one was a button the other was a little spike. I thought they were both does. But I guess they eat the same. Nothing illegal. I havent seen any big bucks yet.

Congradulations and thanks for the picture. I came back with an empty sack this year, but looking forward to next season.

I came up empty with the muzzleloader but got one with a bow. My first ever. I had to buy a freezer, but wanted one anyway. This was a good excuse.

I can't wait until next year!

Thanks for you pics. I forgot my camera.

Back