• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mojave Muzzleloading!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Las Vegas and love muzzleloaders. Lately, as can be imagined, our local ranges have all shut down. Thankfully, there is open desert that is legal to shoot at and today I took my trusty Ohio-style .40 caliber percussion rifle out to test some sight adjustments:
1D738E95-A568-461B-A4B9-7931B8C0C237.jpeg

Did a lovely job. Groupings off the back of my car averaged 2” at 50 yards but with the same load I know this rifle is capable of 1”. It’s me not being so steady with it and balancing over the rear of my little 4 banger! I also tested mink’s oil lube from Track of the Wolf for the loaded balls and patching in my bullet board. Worked swell! The loads went down much easier than the lard and beeswax mixture I tried previously. Here are some of my trappings “up close”:
3FE2DD4C-EAEC-4A63-A908-8AD59C4DB885.jpeg

CE3763-D7-6890-4-EC5-8685-110-F1-D289-C7-A.jpg

This pretty rifle was made by Mike Compton and the bag made by T.C. Albert. The horn is an original antique and all accouterments are closely based on designs that would be appropriate for an 1840s-1870s pioneer or hunter of the Midwest. Much information was gleaned from author Ned Robert’s wonderful book (which you should seek out) titled “The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle”.

This gun brings me much joy and I am glad to share it with my friends around the world on this muzzleloading forum. I hope you are all doing well and sticking in their during these times. We’ll get through this. Take care gang!

-Smokey

Attachments

• C1F55803-75C4-432E-B875-868D79DF73CE.jpeg
    C1F55803-75C4-432E-B875-868D79DF73CE.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Smokey, There is a local club there that meets out at Indian Springs not every month but I think most months. I didn't get with them because I didn't find out about them until shortly before I left. You might want to do a little search to find out about them.

Try shooting out the window, door open sitting front seat. I find that's the best "rest" I can use that is anywhere near a tree with a 160 heart beat after running down my dinner. (LOL) Hate to shoot in a chair with a sand bag, maybe once in awhile???

Smokey, I hope there was a gate in the barb wire fence or did you just cut the wires? 😄

That is a really nice rig you have. You've come a long way sense your adventures at Fancy Creek.

Thank you! I didn’t stay long in Kansas sadly. I really enjoyed that little range, tucked back beside the creek. I sure miss the trees (yes there are trees in Kansas guys lol) and rolling plains, as well as the friendly people!

I have a question for you, I live in Henderson and ever since Ray's closed, I have had one heck of a time finding BP shooting supplies here. Unfortunately due to health problems I have been out of shooting for quite a while but would like to get started again and finding BP items and supplies here is a pain in the rear. I sure miss Rays Beaverbag.

I have a question for you, I live in Henderson and ever since Ray's closed, I have had one heck of a time finding BP shooting supplies here. Unfortunately due to health problems I have been out of shooting for quite a while but would like to get started again and finding BP items and supplies here is a pain in the rear. I sure miss Rays Beaverbag.

I get some of my shooting supplies, mostly balls and caps, from Sportsman’s Warehouse on the west side of town (I think there’s another one closer to you but not sure). That’s a good place for sure, they even sell a few rifles and cap and ball revolvers.

Next is the website Track of the Wolf. They’ve got almost anything you could want to get back into the game. Other than that search in the classifieds here and on eBay. I’ve been slowly building and modifying this kit for about a year and couldn’t have done it without the help and research from the wonderful members here and the American Long Rifle board, plus a number of books.

Good luck and hope you get to shooting soon!

Thanks for the info will check them out.... I miss shooting...So looking forward to getting back into it. I got my wife interested in it, She is pretty wicked with my 1860 Henry .44-40. I load it with BP...

Back