• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olde Eynesord fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.
Today I had my newly built rifle out to start working out a load and patch size. I was first using OE fff powder and found the fouling terrible. Latter in the day after some fixes, I went out again with goex fff and had normal fouling. Weather in both cases was cool and dry, patches were pre lubed. Second shoot were lubed with Ballistol/water mix. Just wondering if the OE could be a bit damp?

Thanks
Kelvin

Okay so you used 2 different lubes.... One was pre-lubed patches, most likely bore butter or wonder lube? Then you switched to a water based cleaner that cleans the fouling as you load.

I think you better go back and test that goex with the pre lubed patches before saying OE has horrible fouling.

Also with a new barrel, expect some jerky loading due to the new fresh rifling.

Change one variable at the time before making a conclusion.

I shoot Old E all the time in muskets with no issues. Regular Goex doesn't yield the same accuracy and the fouling seems to be a bit more, but not to the point of a problem.

I've used OE earlier this year with no issues. My question was not about the product but if dampness could cause fouling I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

Lube can definitely play into the fouling and patch thickness will also. Earlier when you had no issue with the OE, was the lube and patch the same as this time?
My experience with powder that is a bit damp is that it is clumped up in the container.
Another thought is if the OE was shot first, was there some rust inhibitor of some type in the barrel that could also come into play?
I'd try shooting the OE again with the same patch thickness and lube you used with the Goex and see if the results are different.
Could be a problem with the powder, but it wouldn't be the first thing I'd pinpoint when a different patch and lube were used between the two.

I have found humidity levels have a lot too do with fouling.
As mentioned, dampness will cause clumps is in the can,but I don’t see how it could possibly make the powder foul more than dry powder.

Back