• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walker issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe a period reference is necessary to justify the use of a leather strip or something similar. The need for that would become instantly apparent to any user. Those guys lived in a make do world and would have been quick to adapt. Though they would have noted this early on, actual combat situations would have made the need quite clear. I had an M16 fail at a critical moment. I managed to live to tell the tale. I use a rubber band if I am home shooting like I usually do. It took about 3 shots to figure that out.

Not period but works real well.

Attachments

• 1547140143762-1226473777.jpg
    1547140143762-1226473777.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1547140253807-14543316.jpg
    1547140253807-14543316.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 94
I have my Walkers modified by Master Black Powder Gunsmith Dykes Reber of the muzzleloadershop.com and Mastee Tunner Mike Brackett of goonsgunworks.com.
Dykes Reber puts on Taller Front Sight, an 1860 Loading Lever Latch and Post, Cuts the Forcing Cone, Permanently Pins the Arbor Pin with a Threaded Allen Screw with Lock Tight Red, Opens Up the Loading Port, Reams the Cylinder Chambers ( if needed) mounts a Lanyard Loop Ring, Weaver Rails as well.

Mike Brackett of goonsgunworks.com Hardends the Screws, Puts in a Cap Block Post and Shield, Coil Springs, Adjusts the, Timing and Barrel to Arbor Fit.

I Open Up the Rear Hammer Sight with a Fine Triangle File and Spot Blue the enlarged Hammer Sight notch once the sizing enlargenent is completed.
20190622_193153.jpg

All of this necessary work truly produces a "Well Regulated" percussion revolver.

Notice all of my Colt style percussion revolvers in the enclosed photo all have such neccessary work done to ensure top reliable performance and pin point accuracy with my Universal Bullets.

The walker is an interesting gun to hold or look at. I found out the hard way as I expect most others- Walkers were a first effort gun. Not much more than a prototype. Not a good gun and not worthy of the level of reproduction it gets. The word is never ever going to get out. It is a shame really, because it was years before I decided to try a 44 dragoon after my Walker fiasco. I cannot be alone. Colt made such a fine gun in the subsequent dragoons and relatively few will ever appreciate that.

It is alwasy the same. Newbie (like me) buy into the romance of the big walker and buy one. Dont let the walker turn you off to the dragoon series.

If I was gifted another walker, I would investigate sources for the latch and lever from a later dragoon.

After I started typing this Kaido posted. That is the fix. The balance is still screwed, but at least the latch will stay put. No comment on the optic.

Other than needing to start an exercise program to be able to lift the damned things, are the drooping Walker rammers really correctable with judicious filing and stoning of the rammer spring?
I had been eyeing the lighter, more practical dragoons when I got sidetracked with research into the activities of my great-great-grandfather. I found he enlisted in Captain Highsmith's Company D, of Col. Jack Hays's First Regiment, in Austin on May 1, 1847.
Here is an eyewitness account of these "rangers" in Mexico City in December of 1847 from the first volume of "Firearms of the American West":

The rangers probably had a full complement of the guns (Colt Walkers) before the year was out. General Ethan Allen Hitchcock, who saw them in Mexico City in early December of 1847 wrote that "Hays's rangers have come -- their appearance never to be forgotten. Not in any sort of uniform but well mounted and doubly well armed: each man has one or two Colt's revolvers besides ordinary pistols, a sword, and every man his rifle."

Kinda piqued my interest in the Walker again -- even with all its faults.

If your G-G-Grandpa was a ranger that early and rode down into Mexico with Col Hays he was one tough hombre. Read a good book on the early rangers and when they went to fight the Mexico War. You have some real proud history in your family. I think this is the book but not 100% sure. The Texas Rangers, by Mike Cox. I just don't think real colts have the problems that we have now. Cap jams, loading lever falling etc. Because you hardly ever read about these problems. The guns were just better made. Anyway proud to know someone who has history with the early rangers.

If your G-G-Grandpa was a ranger that early and rode down into Mexico with Col Hays he was one tough hombre. Read a good book on the early rangers and when they went to fight the Mexico War. You have some real proud history in your family. I think this is the book but not 100% sure. The Texas Rangers, by Mike Cox. I just don't think real colts have the problems that we have now. Cap jams, loading lever falling etc. Because you hardly ever read about these problems. The guns were just better made. Anyway proud to know someone who has history with the early rangers.

I absolutely agree with the " tough hombre" sentiment but; could not disagree more strongly about the walkers being made better back in the day. A good gun would not be discontinued after the first intial run. It was immediately improved in the whitneyville and 1st dragoon. Changing a gun today is simple matter of cnc reprogram. Back in the 1850's it was a big deal to change a gun. Not minor changes. The frame, cylinder and the entire barrel assembly. All in a pretty much much ground up FIX. That is patterns, forgings, gauges, the works.

I will concede all the eye-tie repros are not made equall. I do believe the Uberti's are up to the job if the design is even close to right.

I absolutely agree with the " tough hombre" sentiment but; could not disagree more strongly about the walkers being made better back in the day. A good gun would not be discontinued after the first intial run. It was immediately improved in the whitneyville and 1st dragoon. Changing a gun today is simple matter of cnc reprogram. Back in the 1850's it was a big deal to change a gun. Not minor changes. The frame, cylinder and the entire barrel assembly. All in a pretty much much ground up FIX. That is patterns, forgings, gauges, the works.

I will concede all the eye-tie repros are not made equall. I do believe the Uberti's are up to the job if the design is even close to right.

All I am saying is you just don't read about cap jams in all the old books. And today unless you work a gun over its a big problem. Now before someone tells me they have never had a cap jam, I am talking about most of the repros now. My first colt cap and ball I got in the early 70's from CVA and that is the best cap and ball I ever had. Even to this day. Very few jams or misfires. All I know is some of these colts repros I have seen I would to bet my life them.

Must admit that it was a bit disheartening to see a scope mounted on the Walker, but to each his own...
As far as Walker quality issues cap & loading lever issues issues those are easily fixed with a little tuning that many of us on the forum could address but as they say a picture = a thousand words so I won't go there.. Blackie & a couple other clever talented BP folks on UTUBE have made some superb videos on how-to easily correct cap & ball revolver cap-jam issues & fixing loading lever dropsy on the Walkers is even simpler.

My shooting eyes have never been the best for competition with iron sights so years ago I devised a simple fix that sharpens both the sight & target picture . On a future posting i'll include some photos & instructions that members can check out & copy.

Regarding the issues with a dropping loading lever or a cap in the works got me to thinking from what might have been the perspective of a Ranger back then. Those might been occasional problems but look at the advantage of having 6 potent shots as opposed to one and having to reload. I’d take the inconvenience.

Seems the early revolvers in general had lots of metallurgy issues because of casting problems. Some that have studied history say there were on occasion cylinders that after some use would fracture and send chunks flying. Once the metallurgy was improved then came the streamlining that produced the Dragoon. As rifle technology increased range, loading and reliability one could put adversaries at bay further out more efficiently thus the revolver devolved in to a shorter range back up that brought more streamlining. IMO.

As I understand it, the original bullet for the Walker was a 200 gr or so, picket
(semi pointed) pill. It had almost no heel taper and was very hard to load. The boys soon found out that loading them backward was dramatically easier and much more socially effective. It no doubt drove the pressures crazy, coupled with 60 grains of powder and......Bob’s your uncle.....big trouble

Back