• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Supplies need for Beginner to Flintlock Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvlion

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought a Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock 50 cal rifle. Brand new to flintlocks. I found the Traditions Flintlock shooters kit and it has most of what I need to load and shoot. Those of you more experienced, can you give me a list of supplies I will need to clean after shooting? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Go to the fabric department of your local Wal Mart or fabric store, buy yourself a couple of yards of 100% cotton flannel (make sure to read the fiber content label). Wash it in hot water, dry on a hot setting. This will fluff up the fabric, and tighten the weave. Detergent is not necessary.

After drying, cut the fabric into 1½" (more or less, exact dimensions don't really matter, but this is handy) squares. Put these into a zip lock bag. These are your cleaning patches. Add water as needed to each individual patch, and run it up and down the barrel after firing each shot. Simple.

As far as tools go, you'll need
  • a proper fitting jag
  • a good fitting screwdriver for the cock jaw screw
  • a piece of 1/16" wire for a vent pick (handy, a paper clip, safety pin, or piece of broken guitar string will do)
  • an extra flint, or two
  • a ball screw (to extract the ball after you've discovered that you forgot to load powder)
  • an adjustable powder measure
  • a few strips of patching, or cut patches (Whole threads have been posted about lubes. Check those out.)
  • a sharp knife if you decide to cut the shooting patches on the muzzle
  • a short starter (optional)
  • a priming horn, or flask (optional)
Welcome to the wonderful world of flint locks!

Go to the fabric department of your local Wal Mart or fabric store, buy yourself a couple of yards of 100% cotton flannel (make sure to read the fiber content label). Wash it in hot water, dry on a hot setting. This will fluff up the fabric, and tighten the weave. Detergent is not necessary.

After drying, cut the fabric into 1½" (more or less, exact dimensions don't really matter, but this is handy) squares. Put these into a zip lock bag. These are your cleaning patches. Add water as needed to each individual patch, and run it up and down the barrel after firing each shot. Simple.

As far as tools go, you'll need
  • a proper fitting jag
  • a good fitting screwdriver for the cock jaw screw
  • a piece of 1/16" wire for a vent pick (handy, a paper clip, safety pin, or piece of broken guitar string will do)
  • an extra flint, or two
  • a ball screw (to extract the ball after you've discovered that you forgot to load powder)
  • an adjustable powder measure
  • a few strips of patching, or cut patches (Whole threads have been posted about lubes. Check those out.)
  • a sharp knife if you decide to cut the shooting patches on the muzzle
  • a short starter (optional)
  • a priming horn, or flask (optional)
Welcome to the wonderful world of flint locks!
Thank you Cruzatte. That was very helpful. Looking forward to getting started.

Welcome to the addiction wvlion👍

Most important...Real Black Powder 2F or 3F. You can also prime you pan with both. Also a good thing to remember...The Black Stuff Goes First!!! Don’t ask me how i know😂 If and when you forget the powder...it will happen...just squirt some liquid down the barrel, let set for couple minutes and then pull the ball. The liquid will soak into the patch and make it soooo much easier to pull. Again...don’t ask me how i know😂

I’m sure more help is on the way. Lots of good guys here to help.

9C109AF2-0DD7-4EAA-9FBC-3BFF338C7BF1.jpeg

Field shooting and cleaning kit.

I also recommend finding a local muzzleloading shooting club. The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) publishes a list of all member organizations with contact information and dates. It can be very helpful to be around experience shooters when you are starting out.

You’ve gotten some good suggestions. I’d second the ‘range rod’, usually a steel rod with a handle and sliding muzzle protector. TOTW has them. I love them for range work. I’d also suggest shooting from the bag as opposed to the bench. It’ll train you quick on what you need and how to organize it, plus it really adds to the experience to do it the way your ancestors did it...

Those of you more experienced, can you give me a list of supplies I will need to clean after shooting? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Wiping between shots will aid in loading and make your final cleaning much, much easier.

I also recommend finding a local muzzleloading shooting club. The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) publishes a list of all member organizations with contact information and dates. It can be very helpful to be around experience shooters when you are starting out.
The NMLRA also has this information on their website, along with a large list of reputable and knowledgable vendors always willing to help you out

Latest posts

Back