• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spent/shot patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both sets of patches look pretty good. Shouldn't be much of a difference in performance. Differences only in small degrees.

The patches in post #18 look better than the patches pictured in post #1 because there are no holes where the lands would have torn tiny holes on loading or firing. It makes a difference because when the lands cut the patch, the balls ride directly on the edge of the land and the patch is not holding the ball as tightly as it should. The difference in performance on target may be small.
Bens patch 1.jpg
Longcruise Patch 01.jpg

Ben's Patch Longcruise's patch

Ben's patch has some fraying at the edges. This indicates a looser weave than Longcruise's patch. This is not necessarily an accuracy problem.
Ben's patch has the ring of burning where his patch contained the burning.
Longcruise has the center ring and the black streaks almost star like radiating out from the center indicating that the patch is riding in the grooves and indicates some blow by burning in the streak.
Ben's patch has the beginings of tiny holes on the lands. Its close, but needs a little work either by shooting or getting a tighter weave in the patch.
Ben is using white cotton from JoAnn's that measures 0.014" thick. Is that compressed cotton drill cloth?
Longcruise doesn't identify the source of his patch material.

Ben is using a load of 80 grains of 2fg Swiss powder and a 0.495" ball.

Longcruise does not identify his load.

Here's a close up picture of the material. It measures .019 in a caliper with the cloth across the full jaw and squeezed tight.

20200425_162004_copy_600x800.jpg

This is light weight canvas that I bought from the Davis tent company a long time ago. I'm almost out but can probably get more. In any case, I have a huge bag full of a history of testing patch material.

The load was 80 gr Scheutzen 3f. Lube was 8-1 90% isopropyl and olive oil. It doesn't stay in solution very long but is fine if shaken. I squirt it onto a strip of patching and let the alcohol evaporate. Cut at the muzzle. .54 caliber Hoyt rebore from a TC .50.

Since we are on the topic of patches, here is a sample pack from The Minute-Men. I've not tried these yet but I do know good stuff when I see it and this looks like good stuff.

For anybody struggling with patch material this might be a good option.

20200425_163607_copy_600x800.jpg

Back