• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti Replica Remington 1858 NMA Accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10XPistol

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an Uberti replica of a Remington 1858 New Model Army in 44 caliber. In comparison to the Pietta (which is cheaper) the front sight is dovetailed where the Pietta's is fixed. For this reason I would prefer the Uberti. I want it for competitive shooting. I'm going to practice and use the international type target at 25 yards just like the ones used in the MLAIC matches.

I've seen some models made for competitive shooting with gain or progressive twist rifling in the barrels but Uberti uses a standard 1:30 I believe.

Does anyone have any reports as to how accurate their Uberti 1858 is at 25 yards?

Thanks!

I have sold my Uberti 1858 Remington Army to a good young shooter of my club. We now have a new real challange.

You will have to try out, what powder, which amount of it ans what ball size gives you with your Uberti the best groups.

Please be aware; I am a European shooter and most competiton shooters aorund were i shoot, use Swiss black powder.

Most will load the Uberti with .457 round balls, some will use .454 and some .464. I used .457 round ball. You should get a fine ring of sheared off lead after seating the ball. That will set the necessary round ball diameter for your balls. The load is either Swiss Nr. 1 or Nr. 2 though you can use Nr. 3 and even Nr. 4 . The load may vary between 10 to 18 grain with most probably 13 to 15 grain close to what works best (Nr. 2 or Nr.1). As filler you may take used coffee powder, KusKus, Polenta or Hart- or Weichweizengries. On op for keeping the residue smooth, some lube.

As to lube over the ball, every shooter recommends his secret receipe.

If shooting MLAIC, you are the one who is the decisive factor to shoot 100 out of 100. I never did.

I've been delighted with my Uberti 1858. I shoot mostly 200 grain conicals and did drift the front sight a bit to get it on center. The bullets are pan lubed with SPG and loaded over 28 grains 3F Swiss. .454 round balls also shoot well and I can get 35 grains under them without over compressing. In my opinion, one of the secrets to achieving good cap and ball accuracy is consistent, and light to medium load compression.

Last edited:
And what about these models I see from Pietta and Pedersoli offering a gain twist (progressive rifling) barrel? Is the gain twist better and truly worth all the extra money when compared to the typical 1:30 I see from Pietta and Uberti?

I’ve been shooting my Pietta 1858 for several years and the accuracy at 25 yards is more than acceptable to me. It’s been a lot of fun tuning the gun and casting the round balls.

A89678D7-D563-44D6-B475-861F7D836396.jpeg

1BF202B1-391A-4BB8-9279-1B414CB63061.jpeg

-Jake

And what about these models I see from Pietta and Pedersoli offering a gain twist (progressive rifling) barrel? Is the gain twist better and truly worth all the extra money when compared to the typical 1:30 I see from Pietta and Uberti?
Those are the pistols generally used to win the bigger competitive events. That doesn’t really answer your question but you’re really the only one who can. Are you now or do you intend to become a great pistol shot? Armand Swenson used to test his pistols firing offhand at 25 yards. The guns were capable of 2” groups at that range but then so was he.

The Revolvers used to win are much more the Feinwerkbau Rogers & Spencer, HEGE Maximum Match Remington 1858 or custom made by Baumkirchner but after 50 years, he retires.

Remingtons of Uberti and St. Barabra make are in use too. Piettas are seldom seen.

I collected one St. Barbara who has been used in the class Mariette but I have a second one which is an even better shot.

As to loads, the lower powder charge gives you more widened (frayed) holes in the paper. Some shooters use this to their advantage for they may get the higher score due to the regulation for scoring. And in competiton shooting I can't remeber to have seen in 30 years a single shooter using conicals at precision competion.

Record is set at MLAIC for 100 out of 100.

I'm looking at buying an Uberti replica of a Remington 1858 New Model Army in 44 caliber. In comparison to the Pietta (which is cheaper) the front sight is dovetailed where the Pietta's is fixed. For this reason I would prefer the Uberti. I want it for competitive shooting. I'm going to practice and use the international type target at 25 yards just like the ones used in the MLAIC matches.

I've seen some models made for competitive shooting with gain or progressive twist rifling in the barrels but Uberti uses a standard 1:30 I believe.

Does anyone have any reports as to how accurate their Uberti 1858 is at 25 yards?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Being your already an experienced pistol shooter & are into competition so it's likely you won't be happy with any handgun that isn't capable of providing consistent tight groups. The 58 Remington New Model Army became a favorite during the civil war & later because of it's solid frame, ease to reload by swapping cylinders & ability to provide excellent accuracy because of the gain-twist rifling if the shooter loaded it correctly.
I've also owned & shot Uberti revolvers & prefer them above others but wish they would have also copied the gain- twist rifling or used rifling with a 1 in 14" twist.
Years ago I found that the price of a replica target model 58 Remington with gain-twist rifling cost almost the same as it did to purchase an original in good shooting condition so that's the path I took & the other plus was it would not depreciate. I've also found that a little corrosion in the bore didn't effect accuracy as long as the rifling was strong on an original rifle or pistol. On a revolver it's just important that action is tight & chambers line-up with the barrel & bores of the chambers are in good shape & the throat of the barrel is good or can be smoothed. Replacing the nipples with Tresco nipples are also key to obtaining consistent pressures. The mainsprings on original Remingtons are exceptionally heavy but they can be lightened & after a little tuning on the trigger you will end up with a match grade revolver.
If you were in my area I would let you try one of my Remingtons. Maybe if you post a request you can locate someone in your area who will let you try their Remington out at the range or maybe even sell it to you. I personally find it much more enjoyable to shoot quality made & 'proofed tested' originals like military firearms that have survived & remain in top shooting condition.
NOTE; if you don't feel qualified, have a gunsmith check any vintage firearm out to make sure it's safe before firing it. Happy trails !

The parts of the HEGE Army Maximum Match are interchangable with Originals. Same is with the Rogers & Spencer made by Feinwerkbau.

And at least in Germany, a original, usable Remington Army 1858 in a conditon to be shot at World Championship can be cheaper than such a neo-classical. But the number of originals are limited in Germany.

Collectors prefer the term neo-classical as replacement for the term replica. It makes it easier to argue for getting a permit to collect such weapons in Germany.

I am not very fond of weekening the main spring as it has a function and reason.

Found this
2B6008CD-BF13-4ED4-B6A4-7AFD8CF54B7F.jpeg

on an old thread about these pistols. @D. Buck Stopshere posted it some time ago. I managed to acquire another one of the Pietta Shooters and intend to wring it out. The Remington grip, even the supposed larger grip of the Shooters, Pedersoli, and Hege, do not fit me well. They’re just too small. 1860 army, ruger Bisley, super Blackhawk, Keith #5, these are much more comfortable. If necessary, and the example I have is up to snuff, I may have a smith add a half inch or so to the butt, and shape it like the skull crusher on the merwin hulbert, maybe even add a spur to the trigger guard ala’ S&W single actions... we will see.

The biggest detriment to good accuracy in a Remington is "thread choke". It must be checked for, and lapped out, before any serious load work is begun.

It’s a constriction in the bore caused by the threading of the barrel into the frame. I’m aware of this occurring in the Old Army but I don’t know how common it is in Remington pattern arms.

Back