• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Enfield58 that’s not fair, you haven’t seen me in my Last of the Mohicans loin cloth.

As to snobbery, I have a friend that killed a wild turkey with his bare hands and that means you are all a bunch of incompetent, tool-using modernists.

I’m trying to put some bleach in my eyes at the mention of you in a loin cloth.

KJW in leather vest rules the day!

I am new to the flintlock society, i think i need more time to become a snob.
I too am a fan of anything that goes bang, the louder the better. Something about the smell of Goex in the morning...smells like VICTORY!!!

I concur, KJW is very shiny, someone should loan her a Fowler for her next post.

She makes a lot more mistakes than most newbies. Certainly didn't do much research or prep work if she's representing the Rev War period let alone her loading. But she does look better than most.

Snobbery is rampant in every sport; as a newbie bow maker about 25 years ago I was at a tournament when a sawed off fat guy with no neck walked by with a bamboo backed osage bow. Always one to complement fine work I stepped up to him and said "that is a really nice bamboo backed osage bow". Instead of accepting my compliment, his face turned bright red, his eyes bulged out and he snarled "it isn't bamboo ,it's TONKIN CANE! ". At this point he did an about face and stomped off like an angry child.

Taken aback I couldn't think of anything to say but even 25 years later this guys behavior disturbs me.

As I gained bow making knowledge over the years I realized the guy didn't know much about tonkin cane, it doesn't grow big enough in diameter to use as a bow backing. I have seen heat treated Mosa bamboo sold as Tonkin to unsuspecting buyers, but the real stuff as bow backing doesn't exist.

That guy is way up the list of absolute jerks I have encountered in my 72 years on this planet.

Snobbery is rampant in every sport;
That guy is way up the list of absolute jerks I have encountered in my 72 years on this planet.
Yup - they are out there and absolutely everywhere. I have learned over my mere 67 years to just ignore them.
Chose your friends, try to respect those who are respectable, try to ignore the rest....
It works for me - most of the time. I can deal with a "know it all", but the rude S.O.B. type gets my dander roughed up.
Hence, I have several posts on this system that pretty much nobody but the mods have seen (and eliminated).
An angel I am not, but not a devil either.

Snobbery is rampant in every sport; as a newbie bow maker about 25 years ago I was at a tournament when a sawed off fat guy with no neck walked by with a bamboo backed osage bow. Always one to complement fine work I stepped up to him and said "that is a really nice bamboo backed osage bow". Instead of accepting my compliment, his face turned bright red, his eyes bulged out and he snarled "it isn't bamboo ,it's TONKIN CANE! ". At this point he did an about face and stomped off like an angry child.

Taken aback I couldn't think of anything to say but even 25 years later this guys behavior disturbs me.

As I gained bow making knowledge over the years I realized the guy didn't know much about tonkin cane, it doesn't grow big enough in diameter to use as a bow backing. I have seen heat treated Mosa bamboo sold as Tonkin to unsuspecting buyers, but the real stuff as bow backing doesn't exist.

People like that will always get a lesson in humility. It's just much more enjoyable when you can actually witness it.

LOL - Coming from you - That makes perfectly good sense! :thumb:

Just saying that, one shouldn't be too quick to judge or to label. Snobbery works both ways.
It is the things we have in common that bring us together, not our differences.
It takes a snob to identify a snob and both are passionate about what they like.

Take the time to talk to the person you label as a snob instead of just labeling them, and you might learn something, make a new friend or find a new passion.

I was once calling turkeys while sitting with my back against a fallen tree. A nice Tom came in, but stopped right on the other side of that tree. I reached through the opening between the ground and the tree and grabbed it by the legs, but found out I couldn't do anything with it after that. I had to let it go and call it over to the other side. It was delicious.

Since I’m a big gun shooter all around, mostly flintlocks, but I also shoot 3-gun, and other things I’m pretty grounded as far as gun snobbery goes. I do have to keep myself in check with 18th century gear snobbery though.....

I'd like to get a flinter. Until I can afford one, I'll just keep shooting the less expensive percussion arms.
(converting my .54 caliber TC Hawken rifle to flint isn't a viable option.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back