• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FIE .45 cal. Quality, price?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell us what it is your buying? Such as a Kentucky rifle, Hawken or hand gun. FIE was an importing company that I believe was based in Florida. The very first BP firearm I had was a FIE 1851 Colt brass frame in 1976. I don't think they exist any more. A lot of the big box stores, prior to Walmart, sold them. They were on were on the very low end of pricing. I'm not sure where their firearms were made.

I looked on Gun Broker and found one; FIE Made in Italy .45 cal. Percussion Rifle .
After looking at the pictures, nice gun and knowing Italian barrels are pretty darn good that is a very good price.

Does it look like one of these ???

RIFLE FIE TYPE.JPG

IF so, then yes, never been fired $100-$150 would be the current going price.

They will shoot but they were normally round-ball only

LD

The first Zouave 58 caliber I got in 1970 had FIE on the barrel. It also said Euroarms , the importer. The old Zouave didn't have a bayonet lug and had low brass v sight and a brass sight in front. It shot some heavy loads The stock didn't hold up well, but the barrel was top notch.

I'd say $100 would be a good deal. I have a couple of FIE black powder .45 pistols I picked up for about $50 apiece some years ago, just because they were $50.

An "entry level" muzzleloader to be sure, but not of totally inferior quality, and not unsafe like some of the "wall hanger" replicas.

I'd say they compare favorably to many CVA and Traditions offerings, like their "Kentucky" rifles and pistols.

F.I.E. stands for Firearms Import and Export Company, who were/are based in Miami, FL. F.I.E. manufactured none of those firearms and like CVA and Traditions, was simply an importer and trade name for guns mainly manufactured in Italy and Spain. They also have imported a cheap line of unmentionable type handguns and even some shotguns I believe.

If the bore is good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get it and shoot.

A friend had a small shop back in the 70s, got one of those in trade. I don't remember much about it but we took the forearm off and it had a rib underneath. It looked much better as a halfstock.

It wasn't the best quality arm out there but I would say it's a bargain at $100.

I have one of those FIE "Kentuckys." It is the very first muzzleloader I ever bought back in 1973. Although it is not a copy of any particular rifle, it is well made and a good shooter. Shoot, I'd buy another for $100! This rifle has a very fast twist for guns of its age. It is about 1:38 or so. It will shoot round ball, and a maxi ball very well. It does not like minnie balls or hollow based bullets, however.

I have a flintlock rifle, .45 cal, like the one pictured. It is marked "DART" on the barrel, and "ITALY".
Lock geometry is terrible; it sparks OK but will not flip the frizzen open. Small lock, unlike any in the TOW catalog. Paid too much for it, I guess. PM me if you would like to take it off my hands.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back