• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Enfield by Parker Hale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramrod

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just acquired an unfired Parker Hale .58
2 banded rifle sbout 49 inches long with a 32 inch long barrel (approx). Think it might be a navy model? I need verification of the model and if there are any manual copies available from a member I would be glad for a photocopy! Very lucky to find it and hope for some assistance. Gladly reimburse for any expens
15875888416221918198493577212093.jpg
es and effort
Cheers

I have one made in Birmingham and it's a shooter for sure. I shoot it in North South Skirmish Association competition and it's a sub 2moa gun when I do my part.

My competition load- RCBS Hogdon sized to .576, 42g 3f Swiss, RWS caps, beeswax/lard lube.

I have one made in Birmingham and it's a shooter for sure. I shoot it in North South Skirmish Association competition and it's a sub 2moa gun when I do my part.

My competition load- RCBS Hogdon sized to .576, 42g 3f Swiss, RWS caps, beeswax/lard lube.
Thanks Dave
Do you know anybody with a parker Hale manual for the 1853 ,1858 or 1861 Enfields? I'm looking forward to shooting it ! Thanks for the info on the powder and measure.

“My competition load- RCBS Hogdon sized to .576, 42g 3f Swiss, RWS caps, beeswax/lard lube.”
Please provide more info on the RCBS Hogdon? Is the bees wax/lard 50/50?
Thx
TC

Think you will find the military recommended load will be 60g. Of course variances you find suitable to your needs are good. My Zouave shoots good 60-65 both PRB or mini. Measure the bore. There can be differences between guns. Mine was tight. Takes a .562/.020 PRB and a .575 mini and even then the .575 is an easy thumb press start.

“My competition load- RCBS Hogdon sized to .576, 42g 3f Swiss, RWS caps, beeswax/lard lube.”
Please provide more info on the RCBS Hogdon? Is the bees wax/lard 50/50?
Thx
TC
https://www.rcbs.com/bullet-casting/moulds/16-82162.html
I use this mold with a modified base pin that thins the skirt a bit and extends the hollow in the base. Pin is available from NWTraders. Bullet weight is about 385g.

Beeswax/lard 50/50 depending on temp conditions.

I have used this bullet/lube combo in competition and a slightly modified version when conducting instruction sessions in muzzleloading minie ball rifles. I have run this load for over 60 shots with no wiping and little loss of accuracy.

Thanks Dave
Do you know anybody with a parker Hale manual for the 1853 ,1858 or 1861 Enfields? I'm looking forward to shooting it ! Thanks for the info on the powder and measure.

I don't have the manual as I got it used from a fellow competitor. Don't know why you'd want the manual unless for collector reasons.

I'm a shooter and a historian. The original manuals with Parker Hale Enfields had a lot of extra data that I was I interested in as well.

I have a similar 2-band rifle, it is indeed an 1858 and very popular for target shooting at my club. A few use the shorter Carbine and one the 1853 Rifle.
Have you read the article 'Managing the Enfield' by WS Curtis? Excellent work, and spread all over the web.
Dont bother with any lighter minie molds like the Lee. These rifles really perform with a full weight minie, and I recommend you gather several from others to try which design works best in your rifle. When you have tried a few and know what you want, then shell out for that mold.

Have you read the article 'Managing the Enfield' by WS Curtis? Excellent work.
Bill Curtis is a good friend of mine and I have permission to reprint all his written work, which remain his copyright. You can find the article here - Managing the Enfield

The book of extracts from 19thC musketry information that Parker-Hale published crops up on eBay, some times for just a few dollars.

David

I have a similar 2-band rifle, it is indeed an 1858 and very popular for target shooting at my club. A few use the shorter Carbine and one the 1853 Rifle.
Have you read the article 'Managing the Enfield' by WS Curtis? Excellent work, and spread all over the web.
Dont bother with any lighter minie molds like the Lee. These rifles really perform with a full weight minie, and I recommend you gather several from others to try which design works best in your rifle. When you have tried a few and know what you want, then shell out for that mold.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look up the article.

I Had an unusual .577" Enfield 2 Band Bar on Band Volunteer engraved as Jones Patent. David Mo. and I decided it was an experimental as when the plug was taken out we found that the rifling started as plain into gain twist then normal pattern Enfield. After a clean and polish it shot very well up to 500 with a .575 Private made mould with a thick skirt. 67 grns TPPH. Never tried it over that.. Looked like a Normal pattern 58. Regret I sold it to a re-enactor who possibly never put a bullet down it. There was also a Cavalry Carbine with a Three leaf rear sight and a captive Ram rods .Inspectors stamp was BSA5,that might have been an Experimental. Shot OK to 300 but Kicked Big mule and the muzzle blast was something else. Have a Personally signed copy of "Managing the Enfield". Drank a lot of Calvados with Bill at Bisley over the years.. I regret I never took photos of my guns back in the 60s 70's 80's and 90's. Spent the cash on shooting Not Cameras OLD DOG.

Bill Curtis is a good friend of mine and I have permission to reprint all his written work, which remain his copyright. You can find the article here - Managing the Enfield

The book of extracts from 19thC musketry information that Parker-Hale published crops up on eBay, some times for just a few dollars.

David
Thanks again great info. and I will be watching for one on e bay as well.
Your time and advice is much appreciated.
Neil

When shooting in the N-SSA, I used the 315 gr wad cutter minnie (sp) over 35 grs. GOEX FFFg, lubed with crisco/tallow/wax. It would shoot one hole groups at 50 yards consistently. My mold was (is) a Shiloh, but the Lyman is nearly identical.

ADK Bigfoot

Just acquired an unfired Parker Hale .58
2 banded rifle sbout 49 inches long with a 32 inch long barrel (approx). Think it might be a navy model? I need verification of the model and if there are any manual copies available from a member I would be glad for a photocopy! Very lucky to find it and hope for some assistance. Gladly reimburse for any expensView attachment 29318es and effort
Cheers
I know it has been a year but I am selling off a few PH and found a manual if you are still interested.

Back