• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What group size makes you happy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
Was a nice day, I was off, so I hit the range to burn some powder. I've been working the Dutch Schoultz method, had 2 different loads I've narrowed it down to, took them both to shoot three 5 shot groups each to see which came out on top. The winner was: 80gr 2f Swiss powder, .495 ball, and some .014 white cotton patching from the fabric store, drylubed with Ballistol & water 7:1. Was shooting from a bench at 50 yards. It was windy/gusty.

I shot a 1.75" five shot group(my best ever). I then filed on the front sight some and with my last 3 shots, put them all in the black. My question is, for a non competitive BP hobbyist shooter like myself, is that "good enough?"

I still have more work to do. Try 6:1 and 5:1 drylubing. Still need to weigh out balls. Want to try 70, 75 and 85 grains with that load. Want to try 3f powder with that load.

50 yards ..off hand...NO Rear Sight....62 cal smoothbore flinter... I was happy....but need more trigger time.
850BF154-02E5-4E5D-BD2A-E150DF4AE88D.jpeg

The 3 in the black used up the last of the .495 balls I brought, but I feel I could have put 2 more in there. I'm happy, like I said, 1.75" is the best I've ever shot with this gun. But, should I be? Obviously 5 holes touching would be ideal, but generally, "what's good?"

This is an interesting question. If I can keep five shots touching offhand at 25 yds that's great for me. Five shots touching at 50 off the bench is great too. Any of my guns are capable of doing it but not always the operator. :)

This rifle is generally a one inch/50 yards off the bench. I was interested to see how accuracy held up without cleaning between shots. This was my first shot frim s clean bore. Shot 10 more off hand at a 8” steel. Came back to shoot shot 12 on paper, no swabbing for all shots. Both shots off the bench.

922E40F5-74D2-4CEE-A089-A293EEAD31B6.jpeg

My best off hand score was with a .38 cal Flinter ( Pedersoli)...48 2x....open iron sights. Still looking for that 50 score since 1980...

AABBF774-AAFB-43A6-BAF8-11B478C70FBF.jpeg

After noon with new rifle, last three shots and the outside shot was all my fault. Fifty yards and I was happy with that
E1F7F02E-95AE-48F1-A7E3-A3AC0DD501CB.jpeg

But this was smoothie at fifty yards and this is the gun I will most likely take into the deer woods
My shooting won’t get me a ribbon at a shoot but I’m happy with this.

Flinters...
There's good days and then there's better days.
I'm happy with what I get whether it's cheek snuggling with round ball, paper patches or hollow bases.
Smallest bore now is forty-six (.46) but I'm threatenin' to go back to smaller.

I try for two inches at 50 yards with elbows braced but three inches is more realistic. My muzzleloaders are excellent but this is me shooting so realism keeps creeping in. ;) I'm a casual shooter so that's good enough even for silhouettes. BTW, I generally get my best groups with the Traditions Crockett 32 caliber rifle. It's a sweet shooter.

Jeff

I don’t get to spend near as much time as I’d like at the range, so I try to prepare as much as possible....I was blown away by the differences of weight with the balls. Has to make a difference sorting them out

Thx guys. I am happy, but not completely happy. I do think the GUN has shown its capable of better. Question is, am I? I was shooting on a manure bench. Basically, sitting in a metal folding chair with a Caldwell $15 adjustable rest. Elbows unsupported, seat height not perfect. On a gusty day, where I had to wait for winds to die down before pulling the trigger several times. And I still have a few variables to experiment with in the Dutch method(ball weight, dry lube mix, 2f vs 3f with this patch/ball combo, and a little more/less of a powder charge). Maybe 1.75" becomes 1" from those potential tweaks, I dont know.

My question still stands, but let me rephrase. When do you say, "Yep, that's IT. I'm done tweaking, thats this gun's "forever load," time, to leave the bench shooting behind for good and move strictly to becoming money offhand?

Back