• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader Centric Music

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNGhost, Thanks for posting that. Check out Jim's Red Pants, a husband and wife duo that do music from the 18th and early 19th centuries. They do the background music for the Townsends Youtube channel. The music is addictive and delightful, it has a 'mountain' feel. Their CDs are for sale on the Townsends website. They have some videos on Youtube as well.

Jeff

96th Pennsylvania regimental band is good. They do WTBS but also a lot of earlier music. 2ed South Carolina string band is also real good. Fathers and sons is more revolutionary times. The Longest Johns is mostly sea music most is nineteenth century, some eighteenth.

The first tune on this recording is "Stacked 'em up in Piles", probably a Civil War song, but only this one verse and chorus survive. No known fight corresponds to the words, but that is not uncommon in folk songs. Enjoy.

Well, the link didn't work. It's The Civil War Collection, Volume 2, Jim Taylor and Friends. Google it.

Richard/Grumpa

96th Pennsylvania regimental band is good. They do WTBS but also a lot of earlier music. 2ed South Carolina string band is also real good. Fathers and sons is more revolutionary times. The Longest Johns is mostly sea music most is nineteenth century, some eighteenth.

Yep, the 2nd South Carolina String band is some good stuff. I posted a couple of their songs in the WBTS thread. Contemporary music of the era, can help lend a depth of understanding to any historical topic.

I hadn't heard of the 96th Pennsylvania Regiment Band, I looked on Youtube and didn't see anything by them off the bat, but I am going to keep digging.

Last edited:
TNGhost, Again thanks for the voyageur song. Turns out there are several such pieces on Youtube. Do a search on voyageur songs. It's fun music and I wonder if some of my ancestors played or sang them. They were mostly Quebec farmers, starting in the 1630s, but some of them were probably voyageurs.

Jeff

TNGhost, Again thanks for the voyageur song. Turns out there are several such pieces on Youtube. Do a search on voyageur songs. It's fun music and I wonder if some of my ancestors played or sang them. They were mostly Quebec farmers, starting in the 1630s, but some of them were probably voyageurs.

Jeff

What part of Quebec?

Living right next to French Canada, traveling through there frequently and interacting and working with people from rural K-bec one can really see the voyager spirit in the people there to this day.

Thank you, TNGhost.
And the 2nd South Carolina is outstanding. I have played the YouTube video of their 150th Gettysburg Anniversary performance of "Southern Soldier" and "Dixie" so often that I feel like I was there!

Richard/Grumpa

It's a whole album but if I want to really picture it......…......……...… Helps when you live near where some of it happened and can visit.

TNGhost, that Voyageur video took me back 50 years, to when I played at the Mariposa Folk Festival in Toronto. I would spend the whole weekend with the greatest French-Canadian musicians - Jean Carignan, Phillipe Bruneau, and the Acadian, Gilles Losier. Great music...great times.

Richard/Grumpa

TNGhost,
My ancestors, originally from Rouen in Normandy, were in the first group that settled Quebec City making it more than a trading post. The farms and businesses were mostly along the north shore of the St. Lawrence and eventually they spread inland a bit into the Granby and Beauville areas. They had huge families for generations so I'm likely very distantly related to a good portion of the Province. Not exactly a small, exclusive group. :) There's a monument listing those first families in a park in Quebec City.

BTW, part of my interest in the French and Indian War and 17th and 18th century generally comes from the family background. When a youngster, I learned I had ancestors on both sides at the Battle of Quebec: a Captain of the French militia for one and a Scot noncom from one of the Highland Regiments. The Scot stayed behind after the war and ended up marrying the daughter of the militia Captain.

Yep, the 2nd South Carolina String band is some good stuff. I posted a couple of their songs in the WBTS thread. Contemporary music of the era, can help lend a depth of understanding to any historical topic.

I hadn't heard of the 96th Pennsylvania Regiment Band, I looked on Youtube and didn't see anything by them off the bat, but I am going to keep digging.
My bad, 97th Pennsylvania regimental band

Thanks for that Granpa Jones song. I play downstroke banjo and have always been interested in tunes with local historical ties. Seeing that we go to Fort Watauga at Sycamore Shoals every Sunday for a morning walk it doesn’t get any more “local” than this one!

Latest posts

Back