• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

why I like shooting muzzle stuffers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to agree with how relaxing and good for the gray matter when shooting BP. I also do not mind at all cleaning of BP arms as to me this is all part of method. Let me add that I also rather enjoy all that is needed for modern reloading of cartridges. Not the same but still enjoyable.

Yes! I was raised in a small iron mining town about 20 minutes from Netcong, ”Ironia”. My first home was in Netcong when I got married. My job landed me in North Carolina for several years, finally ending up in rural Massachusetts For the last 35 years. My parents retired to Monmouth county........We spent just about every summer on the Jersey shore....Point Pleasant to Wildwood.....
My Wifes from New Jersey, Sommerset does that count ? Rudyard

For some reason , I just would rather shoot my TC Hawken. I must admit however, I snicker when some at the range look at me funny when I take it out. They stop snickering when I outshoot them.

At one time or another I’ve used some of the most interesting modern arms (and explosives) and enjoyed every minute of it but I must have an anachronistic bent. It seems nothing puts a smile on my face like a big boom and lots of white smoke.

Smoke’em ...if yah got’em !
A449300B-A36A-4D56-BCFF-BED07FF3F08B.jpeg

My Wifes from New Jersey, Sommerset does that count ? Rudyard
She's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey...What exit?

Kidding aside born and raised in Somerset Co. but now grammas farm is a couple of factories. Rt 22 & Readington rd.. Holidays always involved breaking out some sort of firearm and shooting in the back field. Try to find that much space in somerset county now. :-(

On track though. Last time I went out my buddy drought his belt fed 7.63, we had about a dozen different pistols, and a couple of AR variants... But everyone wanted to shoot my hawken .50. Click whhhBOOM!

She's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey...What exit?

Kidding aside born and raised in Somerset Co. but now grammas farm is a couple of factories. Rt 22 & Readington rd.. Holidays always involved breaking out some sort of firearm and shooting in the back field. Try to find that much space in somerset county now. :-(
I remember driving through that part of NJ on my way to the Poconos in the summer. As a kid I was just stunned that we had that kind of open area in NJ. Before I left NJ I worked in Colts Neck. It rivals anything here in Maryland for just shear beauty. Rolling hills, horse farms and now sadly, nothing but giant affluent homes. You want to live in the country in NJ? You better have deep pockets. Oh BTW, I married a Jersey girl to. 37 years married, 41 years together. She's still something else. She's busting my balls to do some yard work as we speak. TTYL

I was introduced to flintlock and percussion by the curator of a Natural History museum, where I spent hours afterschool, weekends & summers helping out, from about 5th grade until High School, when we moved. In a basement room, with his desk, was a fiber barrel of old guns, waiting to be cycled onto display. He knew the pedigree, care and use of all of them.

On July Fourth, he had a picnic for the volunteers, at his in-laws cottage on a back road hollow in the woods. They had an original bronze cannon mounted out front. (Reviewing the memory, it was probably a mountain howitzer).
Along with cranking the ice cream freezer, a high point was when it was fired at sundown.

m My first was a British flintlock officer's fusel. (That designation may not be strictly accurate; it's what I was told then and have believed since-allowing for faded memory).

is that affluent houses or effluent houses. I tend to call mcmansions the latter.
I have come to the conclusion that the popularity of tannerite is just misplaced historical memory of charcoal burners.
I remember driving through that part of NJ on my way to the Poconos in the summer. As a kid I was just stunned that we had that kind of open area in NJ. Before I left NJ I worked in Colts Neck. It rivals anything here in Maryland for just shear beauty. Rolling hills, horse farms and now sadly, nothing but giant affluent homes. You want to live in the country in NJ? You better have deep pockets. Oh BTW, I married a Jersey girl to. 37 years married, 41 years together. She's still something else. She's busting my balls to do some yard work as we speak. TTYL

is that affluent houses or effluent houses. I tend to call mcmansions the latter.
I have come to the conclusion that the popularity of tannerite is just misplaced historical memory of charcoal burners.
These weren't just mcmansions, these were bonafide major league mansions with seperate quarters for live in staff. I built a three story house with a slate roof, copper turrets and sheathed in an inch of limestone. We had a million dollar budget just for the mahogany cased windows. The place looked like a hotel. It had a separate 9 car garage with an enormous apartment above it for the grounds keeper. The place was amazing.

For some reason , I just would rather shoot my TC Hawken. I must admit however, I snicker when some at the range look at me funny when I take it out. They stop snickering when I outshoot them.

This!! In Seattle at a range, 1970's, shooting my TC Hawken, being watched by 2 young men. It was very accurate. They were impressed and bought it from me on the spot. Had my eye on a Sharon Hawken at a local shop. Alas, I let the Sharon go during my misspent youth.

Don

Latest posts

Back