• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fat Wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishleclair

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot or not but does anyone carry fat wood in their kits? I was able to find a chunk of white pine that had so much resin in the wood. Burns great with little flame put to it.

Iam a charred punkwood snob now. I graduated from char cloth last Summah. But will look out for some fat wood.
05A802C8-5E29-4B93-A37C-008414C6439E.jpeg

Yes, I have half a dozen fat wood stumps laying around in the woods nearby. Just one of them is years and years worth. I use little pieces in the woodstove at home and in my tinder box.

Not sure if this is the right spot or not but does anyone carry fat wood in their kits? I was able to find a chunk of white pine that had so much resin in the wood. Burns great with little flame put to it.
Yep, we have some pine trees in our back yard. I harvested a five gallon bucket full last winter- gave it away to friends who'd never heard of it.

Modern day trekers sometimes tout the use of Vaseline rubbed into cotton balls. It does work well, however for a more primitive version I discovered that pine pitch and poplar cotton or cattail fluff does nearly as well. In about a month the poplar cotton will be everywhere.

Carry a small bundle in the bottom of my snapsac for emergency situations comes in handy especially if all the natural tinder is soaked when I am out. Also char cloth ,punk wood, and charred bits from the previous fire.

I always carry some fatwood with me. IIRC, in the novel Edward Warren by Sir William Drummond Stewart he refers to someone lighting thin shavings of fatwood with a flint and steel. If you're not familiar with him Stewart spent a lot of time in the west during the fur trade and attended rendezvous. His novel captures many of his experiences. I have tried lighting thin shavings of fatwood with a flint and steel but have never succeeded.

Here's some rich fatwood a friend gave me a few years ago.

Amazing Fatwood 005.JPG

I use char cloth too catch a spark , place it into a tinder bundle. Then the fat fat is used to get a quick flame going.

64061E64-0A0F-47D0-BFB9-AB2C9BB99F2E.jpeg

here in SC we call it fat lightered wood. my brother has a sawmill, his theory is all pine turns to lightered wood after it is old. the old mill houses 100 years old or so around here are mostly fat lightered,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back