• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a snob. But my natural superiority, as illustrated by preferring flintlocks, might give that impression.;)

Folks, Thanks for the thread and all the responses. My wife is wondering why I keep laughing so hard. I really needed the laughs.

Jeff

I chuckled when I saw YewBender...and knew right away...lol

got this one from Gerald Welsh in AK ...74” English Long Bow
E69B1378-63B5-4DB2-9077-AEF83798C328.jpeg

Nessmuck56,
What is the wood on that smoothbore in the photo and what is the finish? It is gorgeous. Almost looks spalted.

Jeff

Nessmuck56,
What is the wood on that smoothbore in the photo and what is the finish? It is gorgeous. Almost looks spalted.

Jeff

thanks Jeff.....it’s a fiddle maple of some sort....the Maker told me. And the finish is his special secret blend...so who knows...

well, "the right tool for the right job..."

for the thug who kicks in your door in the wee hours of the morning, i won't feel compelled to be very sporting about it ... a few well placed charges of #4 buckshot through a 12 gauge ought to solve the problem, if said thug declines the one-time-only order to halt (said warning to be delivered in the language of my choice and once only) ...

but for fun, in my opinion, nothing beats the magic of a flintlock ... magic ... wow- the fool thing actually went bang ... how 'bout that ... so that's what i shoot except in certain very compelling circumstances ...

now if you feel the inexplicable urge to launch some lead using those odd- ball gadgets, well that's your right, and i'll gladly defend your right to do so, even if i think it's pretty silly.
I have respect for something that remained fundamentally unchanged while in continuous use for approx 200 or so years, cap guns were only allowed to blossom for about 40 years. If self contained ammo hadn’t developed, I’m guessing most of us would be percussion guys.

And I forgot....a Smoothbore snob too....View attachment 29077
I sure do like the iron furniture guns that are well fit and profiled, in curly maple stocks. I much prefer letting the wood and craftsmen ship decorate the gun rather than the crow bait inlays. I do like some modest carving and silver wire to accent a bit of it but many so called Kentucky rifles look like an electric Guitar made in Juarez Mexico.

for the thug who kicks in your door in the wee hours of the morning, i won't feel compelled to be very sporting about it ... a few well placed charges of #4 buckshot through a 12 gauge ought to solve the problem, if said thug declines the one-time-only order to halt (said warning to be delivered in the language of my choice and once only) ...
I agree 100% - except the idiot that kicks in my door in ANY time of the day will get no warning, and as long as his\her feet are still on the floor, the hurt will continue to fly until they are not. 12ga x 23. Black powder is for fun, will not be used for self defence. There are MUCH better tools for that.

Dang Nessmuck, 74” is too long for me. Heck i’m 5’-5” and my bows are 68”ers. If i shot your bow i’d need to stand on a milk crate so the tip wouldn’t hit the ground lol!

Dang Nessmuck, 74” is too long for me. Heck i’m 5’-5” and my bows are 68”ers. If i shot your bow i’d need to stand on a milk crate so the tip wouldn’t hit the ground lol!

Cant it.

Rusticbob, if it’s a rain’n i’ll be sip’n on some good ole Mt. Dew from a mason jar...flintlock stays mighty dry then.

Now, for rain/snow as stated before you can use a cows knee to cover the lock. The other thing to do is used some beeswax/tallow mixture thats not to hard or to soft. You want something that will stay put. Run some along the barrel channel around the lock and down past it several inches. I will rub some around the pan and when primed with 2F i will apply where the frizzen and barrel meet. If the rain or wet snow run down barrel channel it will be diverted to run down the stock. Also keep muzzle down and tuck lock under your arm helps too. Oh and find a nice big Hemlock and hanker down under it...they offer good shelter from snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back