• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the proper name for "possibles bag"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay sure. Why aren’t we all talking like Shakespeare? Language evolves.

No matter what this little thread on the net says, the bulk of people in this nation (and the world) would call the bag a muzzle loading shooter carries to hold shooting supplies along with his powder horn as a “possibles bag”.

It isn’t going to change anytime soon despite the griping. Just learn to deal with it.
A perfect example of the way we create "phantasy history". These days it seems the formula for recreating our history, which is what reenacting is all about, is to massage it to suit our idea of what it should be, not at all what it actually was.

I might point out that when people make serious attempts to "recreate" the world of Shakespeare, they talk funny.

Spence

You can call it whatever you want. If you want to call it a kinehide shooter poke, or a big ball sack, or a possibles bag, more power to ya. But if the question is, what did they call it 200+ years ago, then your made up modern mountain man movie terminology don't mean squat. ;)

For my purposes, "possibles bag" is the correct term - just not for the bag holding the essential gear to shoot a gun. I think of "possibles bag" as a good sized bag that holds items that might possibly be needed on an outing - fire starter kit, compass, cleaning gear, sewing kit, spare mocs or socks, a bit of food, maybe some twine. The smaller bag that lives with the gun, holds balls, patches, a spare flint or caps & possibly nothing else not needed to get a few shots off - certainly not cell phones, car keys& candy bars (which go in the "man purse"). The small bag with the gun has been called a hunting pouch and a shooting bag. I will guess that Hollywood came up with the use of "possibles bag" because it sounded neater.

I prefer to call that bag( for the cell phone, car keys & candy bars) a man clutch....

It’s too small to be a man purse....

73E4C030-A032-41F1-943C-BAF005CCB00E.jpeg

FF65642F-ED8C-4D58-8673-CC0E287FC20E.jpeg

LOL

I read in another post that using the term "possibles bag" is incorrect and bothers some folk.
Is it really incorrect; and if so, what should one be called?
Call 'em shot pouches, bullet pouches, or bag. They aren't a receptacle for limitless possibilities. Carry only what you need to shoot, field clean, and service your long arm of choice.

The "possibles" bag was generally a bag carried on a pack animal. The horn and bullet bag were carried over the shoulder. The "possibles" bag was the mountain man's suitcase.

No matter what this little thread on the net says, the bulk of people in this nation (and the world) would call the bag a muzzle loading shooter carries to hold shooting supplies along with his powder horn as a “possibles bag”.

LOVE to see your survey on that assertion. 😬

I started shooting black powder in 1979, and the only people I've ever met who called it that, were folks who participated in rondyvoos, and folks who sold stuff to folks who attended fur trade rondyvoos.

You sure they don't say stuff like..,

Die mögliche Tasche

La bolsa de posibilidades

le sac possible

możliwa torba

lehetséges táska

Kanno bagu

and etc....

LD

Whatever one calls the bag, it seems in my situations it will carry too much or not enough. I opted for a small belt bag with a strong belt instead of the over shoulder I carried for 30 years for shooting purposes. As I grow older it seems that my possibles have grown. I just slap on a back pack for the water, meals, I would rather eat a bite in the field than mess up the kitchen, oh, yes the lipstick and rouge, I like to impress the neighbors in the woods with a good impression. I generally carry a pound of lead, mold and a ladle, just because I feel invigorated casting some ammo after dining with the forest's dwellers.

LOVE to see your survey on that assertion. 😬

I started shooting black powder in 1979, and the only people I've ever met who called it that, were folks who participated in rondyvoos, and folks who sold stuff to folks who attended fur trade rondyvoos.

You sure they don't say stuff like..,

Die mögliche Tasche

La bolsa de posibilidades

le sac possible

możliwa torba

lehetséges táska

Kanno bagu

and etc....

LD
I have just enough of a French vocabulary to get me into trouble. I think I might call it la pochette à fusil, if I were speaking to a French person.

My canvas Haversack was modified to tote what was needed to shoot and clean my "kentucky" and "Hawken" (note quotes) rifles, and reproduction "Remington New Army", reproduction "Colt Navy" revolvers, and "Lincoln Derrenger".
Loops for short starter and inline capper, pockets for flask, patches, and cap tins, pocket with flap for .440 balls ...
(balls for revolvers were kept in boxes in the bottom)

Day bag, hunting pouch, possibles bag. Could have been a regional thing, suspect it was regarding what these man bags were called. Man bag who coined such a term? I never carry such a thing unless it has a powder horn and some balls in it. Brass manglers,,,,, they will never catch on.

People will keep calling it a "Possibles" bag because it has a good old timey sound to it. I called it a possible bag back in the dark ages (my hair was dark red back then). In any event at that time I used my bag to be big enough to hold all the things I might possibly need. The problem was I knew that the item I needed was possibly in the bag, but if I reached into the bag, it wasn't very possible that I could find it unless I dumped everything out.

Whatever one calls the bag, it seems in my situations it will carry too much or not enough. I opted for a small belt bag with a strong belt instead of the over shoulder I carried for 30 years for shooting purposes. As I grow older it seems that my possibles have grown. I just slap on a back pack for the water, meals, I would rather eat a bite in the field than mess up the kitchen, oh, yes the lipstick and rouge, I like to impress the neighbors in the woods with a good impression. I generally carry a pound of lead, mold and a ladle, just because I feel invigorated casting some ammo after dining with the forest's dwellers.
I’m not going to get my breechclot in a wad when I hear “possibles”. Like most on this forum I thought it was the correct term for a shooting pouch when I got in to this. Later I learned different, and spent some years being careful not to say possibles bag, and was known to correct people who said it around me.
Now it come natural to say shooting pouch or bag or on the rare occasion kit.
Howsomever, I just made a couple of small shooting pouches that can carry plenty for a stay in the tall timber. I sold off one of my last October country bags that could carry my kit, cooking supplies, months worth of food and double as a tent when needed. They do make fine bags.
Looking at my new bags, made small and looking at bags in the Mountain Man Sketch book I notice small is handy as are big OC style.
One historic bag has a wide strap, with sewing awl, striker and mold on the strap, another comes at least with the mold.
Our tendency to travel light is historic, but so to it seems was every possible thing.
‘Possibles bag’ a non historic name? Most likely. But we don’t seem to care as much when we hear ‘frizzen’ when we mean steel, ‘hammer’ when we mean cock, ‘flint lock’ when we mean fire lock, ‘fowler’ when we mean fowling piece
Woe be on to the newbi who says musket when he means rifle, but I have to chuckle when I hear some say musket was only a military gun, forgetting that some civilian guns were also called muskets, or that the term was first used for a large two man gun, that was used by a squad for flank coverage.
Saying possibles bags is a big neon new I sign, but is it any less historic?

Back