• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Conundrum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treestalker,

I'd agree, if you could get a high-end reproduction that handled like an original.
Unfortunately this is not the case.

Old guns can be just as safe as new ones, if well made and maintained.
Most folk I know shoot only originals. I hav ebeen doing this for over 50 years and have yet to see any even horrific examples , let go in use.
This is Not to say I advocate using horrific examples though!!

Best regards,
Richard.
It is true Pukka, that modern repros seldom match the grace and handling of original guns, I myself have in my younger days done quite well on doves and quail with a modern double and single front stuffers. Of course one cannot expect the quality of a hand made gun of the 1800's out of today's factories at their prices, BUT, I have had a lot of fun with them and the balance/weight didn't bother me. But I used to be a large man used to moving heavy stuff around, LOL. I hope the OP finds a safe and rewarding path.

While I agree far too much waffle has been expended damning twist barrels . This is a Birmingham export gun . Its not eating any grass and if in doubt " lef em "hang it up as a curio .Yes its rough but its survived this far . Choppng it about is vandelism .
In my teens I had an old double by Samuel Nock had a 'grey' halfway down the left brl enough to burn a kerchief but not a problem I kept the left loaded down a bit more & Recall in Lincolnshire an old hare comeing down towards me I gave it the right but missed so gave it the left and bowled it fine . Which is not an endorsment for using such a gun but it never worried me. plenty worse given good service for years . A 12 bore gun will load a 20 bore loading just fine. I used to enter the' Big bore Bowl' at Tring I'de a 6 bore but only loaded a 12 bore load , cant eat clays anyway .
Rudyard

While I agree far too much waffle has been expended damning twist barrels . This is a Birmingham export gun . Its not eating any grass and if in doubt " lef em "hang it up as a curio .Yes its rough but its survived this far . Choppng it about is vandelism .
In my teens I had an old double by Samuel Nock had a 'grey' halfway down the left brl enough to burn a kerchief but not a problem I kept the left loaded down a bit more & Recall in Lincolnshire an old hare comeing down towards me I gave it the right but missed so gave it the left and bowled it fine . Which is not an endorsment for using such a gun but it never worried me. plenty worse given good service for years . A 12 bore gun will load a 20 bore loading just fine. I used to enter the' Big bore Bowl' at Tring I'de a 6 bore but only loaded a 12 bore load , cant eat clays anyway .
Rudyard

Well received sir.

Could you please tell me more about "Birmingham export guns" me being a neophyte in these matters?

Dear Ghost I've called it a Birmingham export gun because it bears Birmingham proof marks and has the cap box seldom if ever found on such guns for the UK market ..As a rule guns made for the USA where heavier & much more drop to the stocks as if the hunting style was to stalk up & let go at say a Turkey whereas for the home market guns where carried about all day and lighter wand like guns more favoured & much less drop due to the shooting style. I once examined a best quality double on Dougall's lock fast breach but it was heavy as lead and had the greater bend to the stock. made to a US customers order I surmised . There are also umpteen' Wm Moore' guns That neither William or Charles Moore ever saw ( other than in nightmares ) Some later concern trading on the name long after the two brothers glory days, both being makers of 'Best' guns . Which the ones I've seen are not in that category if no doubt serviceable enough & priced accordingly . .I have made no espesial study but have observed many guns both sides of the pond . Perhaps ' Feltwad' might give us his view .Regards Rudyard

Nice find! The barrels do really look thin at the muzzle, and the dents would have too be removed...

I’m not sure about the makers marks, but Feltwad and a few others here will be able too assit you I’m sure.

If you can find the Maker, you might possibly find a set of barrels... out there in internet land.

How long are the barrels?
A broad origin clue could be found by taking a light scrape with a sharp chisel in the junction berween barrel and under rib, under the forearm. It you see yellow after the scrape, it’s probably from Belgium, proof there required brazing the tubes. If you see silver, likely British who soldered the tubes or even American,

I brought this shotgun home in a trade for minor services rendered. It was termed a wall hanger buy those I got it from. Percussion 12 gauge, back action locks and what appear to be Damascus barrels. No marks I could find other than what I am guessing are proof marks on the underside of the barrels near the breach. Locks work, nipples seem in decent shape, stock has a patchbox inletted on the left side, and though dark from age the stock seems sound. The left barrel however has a large gouge/dent in its side about halfway up and a couple more lesser ones further out toward the muzzle, at which the barrels are very thin. Knowing the properties and caveats of Damascus steel in gun barrels I can see the wisdom in this being a wall hanger.

My initial thoughts were to cut the barrel off short of the first gouge, down where the barrels are much thicker, and make a Baker style cavalry sawed off out of it, but,... then I started to play with it a bit and handle it and it has to be one of the sveltest, sweetest handling shotguns of any type I have ever handled, so now, though I know it can't be used in the condition its in, I am hesitating in cutting the barrels down. What to do what to do.....
. View attachment 28716 View attachment 28717View attachment 28718View attachment 28719View attachment 28720View attachment 28721View attachment 28722
Gunsmiths have a device that pulls dents from shotgun barrels. I have had to have a shotgun barrel dent removed many years ago. Never knew it was dented after it was done.

Back