• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What I do during "Lockdown".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily but most of my molds are Lyman and I like them. I have a couple of Lees and they work good. Just harder to maintain temperature. Will buy a Lee if I have to. I have about 150 round balls left before I need a mold.

Just cleaned and poured 50 lbs of lead into ingots yesterday so that gives me 100 + lbs of lead that needs to be molded.
Does it have to be a Lyman?

mjpchief,

Come up on Ebay and just to the right of "shop by category" type in "Round ball bullet moulds." Scroll down until you see, Round ball bullet mold (.311 Diameter) round ball #90406 New Lee $26.41. This is a 2 cavity mold that ships for free, includes handles. Hope that helps.

Cobra 6

mjpchief,

Come up on Ebay and just to the right of "shop by category" type in "Round ball bullet moulds." Scroll down until you see, Round ball bullet mold (.311 Diameter) round ball #90406 New Lee $26.41. This is a 2 cavity mold that ships for free, includes handles. Hope that helps.

Cobra 6
Thanks Cobra. Gave up on Lyman mold and ordered this mold.

Capnball, i will knap a flint in the jaws while at a shoot just to do a lil touch up. Only taking off lil flakes so no harm to the jaws and lock inyards. It’s lil hard to see but if you enlarge the pic of the flint in the jig you can see how thick it is. So i need to take longer flakes off which requires more force, hence why i don’t do it that way in the gun.
Gotcha!

can't do any shooting yet so I made caramel
the alternative.jpg

Nice work.

I am casting round balls every day; with my two shooting groups on stand-down for the duration, I am using the time to "stock up" on balls, cutting patches, and organizing my shooting boxes. With a .32, .36, .40, .45, three .50's, two .54's, a .58 and three .62's, I can cast all I want! Just getting a little rammy not being able to burn powder at the range.

Stay home, stop the spread, save lives!

ADK Bigfoot

Any chance you have a system to keep up on supplies for all the different calibers?

Bill:

First off, if you ever get tired of the Smith Carbine, let me know! I shot one with the N-SSA and it is something I should never have parted with. I still have my mold.

My System
My wife buys dry roasted peanuts in 2 pound plastic jugs (square). When they are empty, I take off the labels and they become my storage containers for balls or patches. One of two for each caliber gives me a whole bunch of cleaning patches which I produce by cutting on my drill press with a hole saw (teeth ground off and sharpened.) I have one in each of five sizes, from .32 to 62. I have old flannel sheets and pillow cases that I fold many times and drill out the patches twenty or thirty at a rap. Very efficient. Since I wipe with one wet and one dry between shots, I use a lot of patches! So on my shelf I have jugs of patches next to jugs of appropriate sized balls, ready to go. I also use the hole drills for shooting patches from pillow ticking or linen, also in 5 sizes. They are left dry until just before a shoot or hunting expedition, when I lube with Naturallube 1000 or bear oil, depending on the gun. My "system" is what my wife refers to as that "mess" down stairs on the shelf.

I also have pre-loaded tubes of FFFG in 50, 60, 70, 85, and 100 grains. When I go to a match I am all set to go to the line and shoot. Having things set up in advance allows me to focus on shooting.

ADK Bigfoot

Bill:

First off, if you ever get tired of the Smith Carbine, let me know! I shot one with the N-SSA and it is something I should never have parted with. I still have my mold.

My System
My wife buys dry roasted peanuts in 2 pound plastic jugs (square). When they are empty, I take off the labels and they become my storage containers for balls or patches. One of two for each caliber gives me a whole bunch of cleaning patches which I produce by cutting on my drill press with a hole saw (teeth ground off and sharpened.) I have one in each of five sizes, from .32 to 62. I have old flannel sheets and pillow cases that I fold many times and drill out the patches twenty or thirty at a rap. Very efficient. Since I wipe with one wet and one dry between shots, I use a lot of patches! So on my shelf I have jugs of patches next to jugs of appropriate sized balls, ready to go. I also use the hole drills for shooting patches from pillow ticking or linen, also in 5 sizes. They are left dry until just before a shoot or hunting expedition, when I lube with Naturallube 1000 or bear oil, depending on the gun. My "system" is what my wife refers to as that "mess" down stairs on the shelf.

I also have pre-loaded tubes of FFFG in 50, 60, 70, 85, and 100 grains. When I go to a match I am all set to go to the line and shoot. Having things set up in advance allows me to focus on shooting.

ADK Bigfoot

Sounds awesome!

Very nice work Ames.

I’ve been doing a remodeling project bathroom & laundry room.
Turkey hunting some....
Cleaned , oiled.& rigged 6 rod & reels .
New line, hooks sharpened .

Grass cutting has started in my would, so there goes one day.....

My list of things seems un ending, gonna’ have too make time for some shooting soon!

What do I do in Lock Down ?? A lot of the day I sit on the unit in my bathroom with my feet on the pan cover with the windows open and my Nikon EM Roll film camera and three lens's to hand watching what go's on in my tiny back wild garden. There is always the (Off topic) PPC to hand in case of Maggies..There is far more going on there than you would expect. I missed most of it while I was away making Dog Chains and Collars for Pretty Show Dogs for all those years. OLD DOG..

Back