• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint and steel firemaking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow! I love this picture! Where in the dickens did you find it, and where was it taken?

I think the old reliable flint and steel continued in use for a long time among the country folk of eastern and northeastern Europe. This interesting lady looks as if she might have lived in that part of the world.

She shows good form in manipulating her strike-a-light.

I think her striker may be a somewhat angular variant of the "0" shaped steels, although we can't say for sure what the part clutched in her fingers looks like. The online database for the Finnish National Museum shows a variety of European fire steels. Maybe I'll browse a little there, and see if they have anything similar.

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

I use worn out files forged into strikers and have never heard of one wearing out.

I had one years ago, I think it was made by a blacksmith out of bar stock I must have been surface hardened. Repeated strikings eventually wore through to the softer or less carbon material and one half of the striker would no longer spark. eventually it broke, but it was a good striker for about 10 years and really threw sparks when I first got it. Like a grinder.

Wow! I love this picture! Where in the dickens did you find it, and where was it taken?

I think the old reliable flint and steel continued in use for a long time among the country folk of eastern and northeastern Europe. This interesting lady looks as if she might have lived in that part of the world.

She shows good form in manipulating her strike-a-light.

I think her striker may be a somewhat angular variant of the "0" shaped steels, although we can't say for sure what the part clutched in her fingers looks like. The online database for the Finnish National Museum shows a variety of European fire steels. Maybe I'll browse a little there, and see if they have anything similar.

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob
Hey Notchy. Can’t remember where I found this gem, it’s been on my computer since college ten years ago. You are 100% correct on the locale, the original caption says “Swedish housewife, early 20th century”.
Not sure if it was the same for you Yanks but Canadian infantry were issued flint and steel kits for cigarettes in WWI. The spark and ember on the char couldn’t be seen from the enemy trenches at night, unlike matches or a lighter which was the equivalent of ringing the dinner bell for a German sniper.

Just in case anybody else is interested...

This is the photo Rato:rats showed us earlier:

Making Fire.jpg

.... and a detail of the steel:

Making Fire (2).jpg

Here is a picture of a Finnish man in his "national costume," circa 1889. Note the accoutrements, including the fire-steel, hanging from his belt. That knife sheath incidentally, is probably woven from strips of birch bark:

Finnish Costume 1889.jpg

And here is a firesteel from an archaeological dig in Finland, dated approximately 1050-1250. Some things don't change much, over time:

Tulusrauta.jpg

The last two images are from the Finnish Museum Collections. If you want to check them out, you can use the search function in the link. Put in tulusrauta as the search term, Finnish for "fire-steel."

Notchy Bob

that is a fantastic picture of an ethnic ladie still using this method of fire making. any information on it?

Love the video from Tom A Hawk I have never tried that method I always laid the char cloth in the tinder pile and tried to sort of aim my sparks.
I have made strikers from files but some of the best ones I made came from the tines of an old four pronged rake. Those thinge really threw sparks. Thanks for the video, got a new way to catch sparks!!
Kevin

Love the video from Tom A Hawk I have never tried that method I always laid the char cloth in the tinder pile and tried to sort of aim my sparks.
I have made strikers from files but some of the best ones I made came from the tines of an old four pronged rake. Those thinge really threw sparks. Thanks for the video, got a new way to catch sparks!!
Kevin
You're welcome. The tinder on top method is also the best when using tinders other than charcloth. Such as mullein pith.

The tinder on top method is also the best when using tinders other than charcloth. .

It sure does. it also allows you to "short stroke" the throw of the steel.
When you get good, you can reduce the throw arch down to just a few inches,(like in your video) instead of looking like a blacksmith swinging a hammer. Look at how high the lady in the photo is holding the steel preparing to strike, a real knuckle buster if she misses.

Last edited:
I fold my char cloth in half, then in half again.
This leaves 4 exposed edges too catch the spark.

Place the char cloth on top of the flint holding them between the thumb & forefinger.

I use a short stroke with the striker coming into the flints edge which he angled upward.

As the striker crosses the flints edge small bits of hot steel are shaved off by the leading edge of the flint in an upward direction.... works for me.

the practice of placing the char cloth in the tinder pile is called THE BOY SCOUT METHOD! practiced by them and in the BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGE MANUEL on fire making. not a merit badge requirement any more. I guess that they have gotten into the 21st. century?

you hear that back in the day the old timers would put a piece of fire catching material in the pan of a flint lock and strike it to catch a spark.

you hear that back in the day the old timers would put a piece of fire catching material in the pan of a flint lock and strike it to catch a spark.
Yes and I'm sure all you other flinters are aware that for home use and the fancy folk (since they were surely expensive) there are flintlock tinder pistols, basically a pistol without the gun - instead of priming and a barrel with charge, the hammer kicks back the frizzen to expose a box containing a bit of tinder. A couple photos -the wood handle one is modern replica, these used to be sold by Dixie, can still be found for not too much, and work pretty well.
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG

the practice of placing the char cloth in the tinder pile is called THE BOY SCOUT METHOD! practiced by them and in the BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGE MANUEL on fire making. not a merit badge requirement any more. I guess that they have gotten into the 21st. century?

Any idea when the Scouts first started using ferro rods ? I know it goes back at least 50 years.

Yes and I'm sure all you other flinters are aware that for home use and the fancy folk (since they were surely expensive) there are flintlock tinder pistols, basically a pistol without the gun - instead of priming and a barrel with charge, the hammer kicks back the frizzen to expose a box containing a bit of tinder. A couple photos -the wood handle one is modern replica, these used to be sold by Dixie, can still be found for not too much, and work pretty well. View attachment 28670View attachment 28672

I still kick myself for not buying one of those when they were cheap.
I really like the second one. :thumb:

Back