• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Log Cabin Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
When I was in Friendship in Sept. I needed some replacement nipples for my 1858 and went to the Log Cabin booth, they had what I needed.

While there I picked up their current catalog for $5.00, saves the shipping cost. What a bargain.

It has lots of stuff folks are always wanting and the great part is all the black powder gun smith services that folks are always wanting here. Anything from hardening a frizzen to inletting a barrel along with in letting a ram rod groove.

They offer a full service gunsmithing and repair shop for black powder needs.

Nice folks and family owned and run.

I shop at TOW and the Possible's Shop, but have become a fan of Log Cabin

Last edited:
I've always found something good, and not easily found elsewhere, when I visited The Log Cabin Shop tent at the Fort Frederick Market Fair. I particularly like their flat blade screw driver with the T-handle, the cross piece being a brass rectangle, that works as a very light hammer. Coupled with a wide/flat brass punch for sights, and a round brass punch for pins, it makes for a good addition to a muzzle loader tool kit.

LD

I've always found something good, and not easily found elsewhere, when I visited The Log Cabin Shop tent at the Fort Frederick Market Fair. I particularly like their flat blade screw driver with the T-handle, the cross piece being a brass rectangle, that works as a very light hammer. Coupled with a wide/flat brass punch for sights, and a round brass punch for pins, it makes for a good addition to a muzzle loader tool kit.

LD

I looked in the catalog for the above, but could not find it. It sounds interesting and useful.

I will look for their tent at fort Frederick this spring. I have visited the fort but never the market fair. I live 30 miles to the north. I have time to make a list. Any suggestions ?

I live about 75 miles from The Log Cabin Shop. I go there 3 or 4 times a year. I have always been pleased with their shop, items for sale, service and the knowledgeable, friendly staff. They have been in business there for over 70 years. If you are in the area their museum is also worth visiting. They have examples of many early Ohio gun makers.

I think they have black powder shoots there couple of times during the year. Also have a shooting range available!

Yes, they do have a short range (25 yards) behind the store. I have seen a few shoots there. They have an annual gathering there in October. It has many vendors and things for sale as well as a free format shoot.

That "screw driver with a T handle and rectangle" is a knapping hammer.

Not in that configuration..... waaay too broad an impact surface. I have a brass headed knapping hammer and it has an edge on one send. My tool from the Log Cabin has to square ends and is longer than most of the knapping hammer heads. The shaft ends in a turnscrew. More like a little hammer to knock out barrel keys or adjusting sights.

LD

That's the same one I have. Still a knapping hammer, check the catalog. I still like my brass door hinge pin. Knaps flint, drives barrel wedges and takes half the space.

I first started going to the log cabin shop in the early 60's with my brother-in-law who machined parts for them. I still have some sperm whale oil I bought there in 1966.Black powder was $2.00 a lb for FF Goex. The only complaint I have with them is every time I go there, I leave broke! They have too many goodies I can't resist!

Their website is pretty limited on merchandise. Is there actual facility much better?

Yes, the store has a lot of merchandise as well as an extensive museum of civil war and Ohio weapons and memorabilia. Well worth a visit.

Back