• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabela's not shipping bp guns anymore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BPS/Cabela's isn't going against the Constitution but simply setting cooperate policy which they have a right to do. Going by ATF guidelines a person subject to Federal firearms disabilities is not prohibited from owning a black powder muzzleloading firearm but a state or locality may view this differently. As to whether states and local governments can override the constitution or not to meet their perceived needs, well that discussion could go on forever and the only way to change anything is to vote and become active.

In the case of Galliher vs Cabela's in Ohio; “Black powder guns are fully-functional replicas of antique rifles, shotguns, or handguns and are considered by Ohio and a handful of other states to be equivalent to modern firearms for the purposes of purchase and possession laws, and are subsequently prohibited for violent convicted felons." In both cases the suits against BPS/Cabela's are civil suits and it's possible Federal, state and local laws may not be involved. Sort of like one suing the maker of an electric toothbrush if one broke off a front tooth while using it.
As so aptly stated on this forum so many times"
"You can train the ignorant, you can't fix stupid"

I don't understand how local and state governments can over ride the constitution and the Second Amendment,

Well, they do it all the time. Most modern politicians do not care what the constitution says. A timely example, Amendment 1, "Congress shall make no law ... "or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,..." Most folks are respecting the de facto martial law of the present virus hysteria and staying home. Congress did not make a law, my local Sheriff did. The result o me is the same. No public debate, nothing. Most law enforcement leaders pander to the political left, or are part of the far left. It is about an agenda.

Last edited:
I ordered and received from them a Pedersoli Bess within the last year so I was curious upon reading this. Since I live in the (thankfully) Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I did not experience any problems. I just tried a mock (uncompleted) purchase of the brass-framed 1851 revolver just to see if I could and I could have had it shipped if the purchase was completed. While doing so, I noticed a little drop down link to the right of the picture reading "View all restrictions that may apply". When I clicked I got a listing of all the zip codes that they are prohibited from shipping to. It's a pretty long list (poor souls). Check and you'll probably see yours.
Well my Zip was not in the list and I was informed by Cabelas when I wanted to order, they don’t ship anymore, period. Was going to have it shipped to store and they would NOT do that either. I was informed that if it wasn’t In stock in the store I was in, the store could order it to the store. It wasn’t worth it, I ordered from Dixie.
PS, I believe if your tried to complete the order, at the end it would have said... sorry, no way.

Not really sure how one concludes that this ↑ is the bases for the change in shipping. Buying that same black powder handgun "in-store" does not stop another felon from doing just what Claren did. There is no NICS check when buying a black powder revolver in the vast majority of states, even if Cabela's wanted to adopt such a policy, the State police in many states will not do it, as they are already swamped with firearms sales.

It's much more likely that because they are swamped by COVID-19 panic buys, they cannot handle some items well, so it's "in store pickup" only. Walmart has a lot of merchandise that was once shipped, that is now "in store pickup". I suspect it's to drive customers into the store, which they know often results in more money spent than would've been had it been shipped. I'd submit that Cabelas knows the same thing, and with say at home "orders" abounding in the US, the more customers that they can get, the better.

LD

It is as a result of the lawsuit(s)

hawkeye2 has the correct link to the suit itself but his article link is to one on a separate lawsuit filed against Cabela's over a straw buy of a .40 S&W that was traded for a .22lr, that someone used to kill someone.

Here is the link to the article about the Brady lawsuit on the muzzleloader:

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/08/0...lack-powder-gun-to-felon-later-used-in-murder
Cabelas, and their owner Bass Pro both instituted this policy in January, long before shutdowns and lockdowns so it wasn't as a result of the virus from China pandemic. What it was was an attempt to mollify the plaintiffs and the courts in reaching a settlement on this case, as they would be able to show they "did something" to make it more difficult for people to purchase the items in contention, and which is precisely what Brady and other groups like them are working toward.

Those who think we are somehow "safe" from this type of gun control because our interest is in primitive forearms need to wake up and look around, they are attacking on all fronts, including ours.

Well my Zip was not in the list and I was informed by Cabelas when I wanted to order, they don’t ship anymore, period. Was going to have it shipped to store and they would NOT do that either. I was informed that if it wasn’t In stock in the store I was in, the store could order it to the store. It wasn’t worth it, I ordered from Dixie.
PS, I believe if your tried to complete the order, at the end it would have said... sorry, no way.

Yeah. I was pretty much done with Cabelas after they were taken over and gutted by the corporate raiders that owned BassPro(that's a whole 'nother story). I never was a fan of BassPro prior either, other than their hosting the NRA museum. Its a shame as Cabelas always has had a nice selection of BP arms and used to have some great sales. Bought a number of C&B pistols from them.

Back 15-20 years ago I used to detour through Nebraska, on the annual trek from NM to see family up north, to visit their mothership store, (back before they were all over the country) Kids were little then and loved their aquariums and mounted animal displays, and I loved their used gun section.

Cabelas, and their owner Bass Pro both instituted this policy in January, long before shutdowns and lockdowns so it wasn't as a result of the virus from China pandemic. What it was was an attempt to mollify the plaintiffs and the courts in reaching a settlement on this case, as they would be able to show they "did something" to make it more difficult for people to purchase the items in contention, and which is precisely what Brady and other groups like them are working toward.

Those who think we are somehow "safe" from this type of gun control because our interest is in primitive forearms need to wake up and look around, they are attacking on all fronts, including ours.

Sounds to me like Cabela's broke the law.

The Cabelas nearest me in TX says free ship over $50. No posting of limitations.

The Cabelas nearest me in TX says free ship over $50. No posting of limitations.
Click on any of the black powder guns, I chose a revolver, and you will see this.
black-powder-disclaimer.gif

criminals don't screw up nothing. it is the gun owners that do that. by constantly puking out "I am a law abiding citizen" which is music to the ears of anti gun pols. so they pass law after law and ram them down the throats of "law abiding gun owners". even the fat guy down south that made that speech to the town council made famous by gun owners now is getting into the govt he said in the speech if you ban my guns as a "law abiding gun owner" I WILL TURN THEM IN. why did the pro gunners make him into a hero for?
Because as George Carlin said 'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that!'

If you are a veteran there is some good news. Cabela's will give you a 5% discount on all items. I purchased a Blue Ridge flintlock rifle a couple of days ago and got the discount.

The frustration of criminals screwing everything up for the rest of us and for a government to do whatever they want. I used to live in Canada because my stepfather got transferred up there with a company he worked for. I was able in 1970 to ship in Dixie parts to make a rifle, although I had to pay a 1/3rd Excise and Duty tax on it to Canadian Customs. I was able to take it with me in 1972 to the US when I went to College. When I came back in 1976, it was no problem bringing it back into Canada, but a Navy Arms Griswold and Gunnison kit gun I made in the States threw them into a tizzy. Customs took the gun away from me and sent it to the local RCMP office. I had to go and pick it up from there and since it didn't have a serial # on it, I had to add one. Fortunately, when I filled out the registration paperwork for it, they allowed me to assign one with the promise of one I then selected to be on it in the next few days. Up there, you have to get a Permit to Convey a firearm (a muzzleloader is classified the same as a cartridge gun) to the gun range with the route you intend to take and the times of the trip. Now THAT really stuck in my craw Big Time. I was glad I could re-enjoy my freedoms as an American when I moved back to the Good Ol' USA 2 weeks later.
Antiques don't need paperwork to buy nor a firearms permit. Nonrestricted firearms, most rifles and shotguns, don't need a transport permit, and if you have a license to buy handguns or any restricted the transport permit is electronically attached to bring it to a club, gun show or for repair. Advising anyone of the times you will travel and route is not needed. Buying online the firearm, no matter the type is delivered to your door or a P/U at the Post office. Yes we don't have the freedoms you have and it would be nice, but it could also be worse.

Antiques don't need paperwork to buy nor a firearms permit. Nonrestricted firearms, most rifles and shotguns, don't need a transport permit, and if you have a license to buy handguns or any restricted the transport permit is electronically attached to bring it to a club, gun show or for repair. Advising anyone of the times you will travel and route is not needed. Buying online the firearm, no matter the type is delivered to your door or a P/U at the Post office. Yes we don't have the freedoms you have and it would be nice, but it could also be worse.

It is illegal to buy or sell to a convicted violent felon a muzzleloader in certain states. Ohio is one of them, and Cabela"s broke Ohio law. If corporations were truly "people" Cabela's would be in jail for violating state law. Not only did they violate the law, but they were negligent in doing so, as it resulted in a death. I hope the family got a sizable settlement too.

The defendant who was prohibited from having a muzzleloader or any other gun, bought one from Cabela's and shot and killed his neighbor.

I think Cabela's got of "light" considering.

Had Cabela's followed the law, the plaintiff might still be alive and Cabela's would still be shipping muzzleloaders.

That's my 2 cents.

It is illegal to buy or sell to a convicted violent felon a muzzleloader in certain states. Ohio is one of them, and Cabela"s broke Ohio law. If corporations were truly "people" Cabela's would be in jail for violating state law. Not only did they violate the law, but they were negligent in doing so, as it resulted in a death. I hope the family got a sizable settlement too.

The defendant who was prohibited from having a muzzleloader or any other gun, bought one from Cabela's and shot and killed his neighbor.

I think Cabela's got of "light" considering.

Had Cabela's followed the law, the plaintiff might still be alive and Cabela's would still be shipping muzzleloaders.

That's my 2 cents.

Just trying to understand here. So if you buy a muzzleloader in Ohio the seller is required to do a background check on all buyers? In other words a muzzleloader is the same as any modern firearm in Ohio. Am I understanding you correctly?? So if I wanted to sell one of my muzzleloaders to a guy from Ohio I would need to go through an FFL and have a background check done on him otherwise I would never know he was a felon. Correct?

I too am no longer a big fan of Cabela's since they sold out to Bass Pro but do buy on occasion but not like I used to. Quit Dick's years ago.

Dave

Just trying to understand here. So if you buy a muzzleloader in Ohio the seller is required to do a background check on all buyers? In other words a muzzleloader is the same as any modern firearm in Ohio. Am I understanding you correctly?? So if I wanted to sell one of my muzzleloaders to a guy from Ohio I would need to go through an FFL and have a background check done on him otherwise I would never know he was a felon. Correct?

I too am no longer a big fan of Cabela's since they sold out to Bass Pro but do buy on occasion but not like I used to. Quit Dick's years ago.

Dave

I just bought a muzzle-loader from Cabela's in Columbus a couple days ago. They had a questionnaire that had the same questions as the 4473.

To emphasize this point; the questionnaire they had me complete was a Cabela's form but had the same questions as a 4473. They did NOT have me go through NICS or ask to see my CHL.

Other than waiting for my number to be called, the process was quick and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back