• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash, no bang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had issues with my front stuffers for years because I cleaned them, then oiled then and stood them in the corner, etc. Even when I remembered to swab it out with dry patch before shooting it still might hang or fail to fire the first time.
Now after I clean I lightly oil and stand it muzzle DOWN. It makes a lot of difference in my humble opion.

I've had good luck swabing with Ballistol mixed with water at at about 1 to 10. I use it between shots and for clean up at the range. Bill

I haven't had the chance to get back to shooting. Too much to do - had to prepare and plant my garden and do other chores around the land. I have to believe that the problem was with my cleaning. I have used Hoppes black powder cleaner and I still get a bit of flash rust no matter how I dry it out or swab. The last time I tried a light swab of M-Pro 7 which I use on my other firearms. I can only assume that the residue settled in the bottom of my barrel and somehow obscured the touch hole. We'll see when next I go shooting.
Anyone have a suggestion on what is good to leave in the barrel to prevent flash-rust?

Does anybody know if I could use either TOW mink oil or Stumpy's moose snot after cleaning the rifle as a last light swab before storing? I have both and was wondering if either would present problems when next I go shooting. Next time may be a while until I can get into JoAnn's fabrics to mike some material to use for patching material. I'm out of .008" material.
I use Barricade as the final treatment before storing my muzzleloaders muzzle down.
Since I have no Barricade, I rolled up a patch and wedged it into the muzzle and stored it upside down as you suggested.

Give the Barricade a try, bet you’ll never go back.

I’ve stored guns up too 8 years without any rusting issues, I use it inside and out.
It dries quickly, so I don’t store mine muzzle down, unless I need too squeeze another gun into the safe.

Does anybody know if I could use either TOW mink oil or Stumpy's moose snot after cleaning the rifle as a last light swab before storing? I have both and was wondering if either would present problems when next I go shooting. Next time may be a while until I can get into JoAnn's fabrics to mike some material to use for patching material. I'm out of .008" material.

Since I have no Barricade, I rolled up a patch and wedged it into the muzzle and stored it upside down as you suggested.
Thought I told you already....melt some bees wax and olive oil together. No rust in my barrel's.
And while I'm here....why do so many of you panic over "flash rust"? It's nothing!

I have heard of this ember thing....has anyone here actually witnessed it. I have not but have only been muzzleloading for thirty years.
Yes, I've seen it happen twice.
The conditions have to be just right, and I doubt the vast majority of muzzleloader shooters would ever encounter those conditions.
There used to be a "Governor's Firelock Match" at Fort Frederick State Park each year, and one of the events was a five man, speed volley competition.
Winner was the number of rounds fired plus the number of hits, in a timed event.
Both times just as the time limit was ending a man cooked-off his powder when pouring it down the bore. Burned fingers were the only injuries.

LD

I swab with cooking oil every 4-5 shots in my smoothbore and every 2-3 shots with my rifles. Only small amounts are needed and it doesn’t compromise the powder charge.

One of the main reasons I swab between shots is the amount of residue in the barrel after the shot. It's a lot, and I don't want to shove it to the bottom of the barrel with the next ball.

I always start my shooting session by swabbing with alcohol. If I swab between shots, and I hardly never ever do, I use alcohol. I never put oil down my barrel while shooting. after the shooting session and then cleaning with WD40 I do not use water, I wipe dry then I put a very light coat of rem oil in the bore. my guns go off every time unless the flint has an issue,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back