• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock repair question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevatorEng

32 Cal
Reaction score
Do think that Acruglas would be a reasonable to fill in the really bad stock carvings?

A little background, I recently bought this rifle as a part of an estate. It is 50 cal Euroarms Kentuckian of 1977 vintage. I think that the stock has been subjected to multiple projects of music and trade rifle themes. I may keep the treble clef and clean it up a bit. The brass inlet has pictures of what appears to be guitar picks. I think I might replace these with some different inlays or maybe fill it with acruglas. I was thinking the bass clefs could be filled with acruglas. There were brass decorations tacked on. These tacks would scrape skin off a person's cheek when the gun was fired. I am keeping the large tacks because they are the only thing that looks ok. The area around the comb may be in the worst shape. I was thinking of using acruglas to reshape the area. What do you guys think?

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Overall it looks like you may have enough wood to remove the inlets.
Most inlays are pretty shallow. Have you got enough wood to take them out?
A lot of guns also have a very thick comb compare to what was around. Is thinning the comb an option?
The ones shown seem to removable. But it is a much bigger project.
The tack holes will obviously need to be filled but if you like dark wood then filler and stain will basically hide these.

Welcome to the forum!:)

What do I think? If you wanted to just fill the holes and not care what it looked like, just use Durham's Rock Hard wood putty. If you clean the the holes to bare wood it will stick great. It will obviously look like a hideous patch. What I would do is make some metal cover up escutcheons. The rifle would still be patched up, but IMO a better approach. Remember you do not have to follow the cut outs, make them your own design and take out a little more perimeter wood.
Let us know what you decide. Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

1586751246844.png

I’d just restock the gun. If that’s not an option, take it down below the inlets if possible as suggested above by Lawrence A.

Thank you for all the suggestions. This project would more for aesthetics than function. I am going to buy some acruglas for a different project so I may experiment as filler and see how it looks. I haven't found any articles of anyone doing that. I I still may may restock.

Looks like the old fellow has got some history. I would give it a good cleaning and fire it to see how accurate it is. If it functions well I would be careful about changing anything. You can turn a good shooter into a wall hanger real easy. It is a good piece to learn a little gunsmithing on.

Silk purse, sows ear.... anything you add to this will only make it look worse.
Gotta ask the question...... is it worth the effort? Realistically, the guns only worth $100 in good shape.
If it's just sentimental leave it alone. Or you can spend several hundred dollars and your time, and still have a $100 gun.
Sorry. My opinion only.

Any filler will look terrible. Filler is used, the only option would be to paint it. There is historical precedent for paint.

That said the stocks on these rifles have way too much wood. Get some decent pictures, or possibly a set of Track of the Wolf plans for a similar rifle. Remove all the wood that is not supposed to be there in the first place. Try to understand where you are headed before you get after it.

Latest posts

Back