• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre-CW civilian rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy, for example, a used Zoli 1841 for 400-600$ depending on condition. For another $250-300 you could send it to Lodgewood to be defarbed. You are out much less than a custom rifle.

I did this exact thing to a Zoli and then mount one of the early Benton ladder sights to it to use as a marksmen rifle as used early in the War by Hoods troops and others.

2F75C5E7-FB27-48A2-A3EC-C610DCD8F842.jpeg

Last edited:
A halved-stock rifle of 50 to 150 balls to the pound would not look out of place in the late Antabellum:

Some are recommending the Lyman Great Plains. Sorry, but no. A plains style rifle of large caliber wouldn’t be popular down in the south for civilian hunting needs. They are heavy by nature and the caliber, at least for the thinking of the time, was unnecessary for the types of game and hunting done in the South, and would be wasteful of powder and lead. Contrary to misinformation, not all halved-stock rifles are “plains rifles”, and not even all plains rifles are halved stock rifles either. A “plains rifle” describes a large-caliber, short, stout rifle (typically percussion) that became popular on the Great Plains and out west when larger caliber and more durable guns that could be carried on horseback in rough terrain and could be used on large game such as bisons, bears, mooses, etc. was desired. They came about because customers weren’t super thrilled about carrying around their lithe small caliber Eastern and Southern style rifles in grizzly country through treacherous terrain and similar reasons such as that.

What you are looking for would be called by most these days as a “squirrel rifle”, or also an “Ohio-style” rifle (as shown in my picture). Or, a “Southern Mountain” rifle. By the time period you are interested in the percussion rifles would have dominated but that doesn’t mean some flintlocks weren’t in use in the South during that time by and means.

So really, any halved stock or full stock percussion rifle of small to moderate caliber should fit the bill. One great gun factory would be the Traditions Crockett .32.

I beg to differ with you on the type of game available to Texas hunters of that period. Like they say "Texas is like a whole 'nother country" and while the eastern part of the state fits your paradigm, the central and western parts of the state are basically in the Plains and West and at one time featured vast herds of Bison, as well as Elk and Bear. So a man with a plains type rifle would not be out of place at all in Texas, but it may be dependent on where in Texas he was standing.

https://www.expressnews.com/sa300/article/Herds-of-bison-once-roamed-Central-Texas-11226704.php
https://baycitytribune.com/community/article_b700ec28-8384-11e8-afa0-d7dc87555161.html
Too, as far as conserving lead and powder, the military rifles or should I say "ex" military rifles toted by civilians were all of substantial caliber. Lots of leftovers from the Mexican American War. One of the most popular being the model of 1816 Musket. There were also a number of India pattern Bess muskets, with which the Mexican Army armed itself with, captured and left laying around, some of which undoubtedly ended up in civilian use. It would seem either of those would be a viable option for YellowThorn as well.

I beg to differ with you on the type of game available to Texas hunters of that period. Like they say "Texas is like a whole 'nother country" and while the eastern part of the state fits your paradigm, the central and western parts of the state are basically in the Plains and West and at one time featured vast herds of Bison, as well as Elk and Bear. So a man with a plains type rifle would not be out of place at all in Texas, but it may be dependent on where in Texas he was standing.

https://www.expressnews.com/sa300/article/Herds-of-bison-once-roamed-Central-Texas-11226704.php
https://baycitytribune.com/community/article_b700ec28-8384-11e8-afa0-d7dc87555161.html
Too, as far as conserving lead and powder, the military rifles or should I say "ex" military rifles toted by civilians were all of substantial caliber. Lots of leftovers from the Mexican American War. One of the most popular being the model of 1816 Musket. There were also a number of India pattern Bess muskets, with which the Mexican Army armed itself with, captured and left laying around, some of which undoubtedly ended up in civilian use. It would seem either of those would be a viable option for YellowThorn as well.

Didn’t read his Texas/Arkansas part.

This, indeed, changes everything and you are right.

As a 6th generation Texan I would suggest a Mississippi rifle also.

My direct descendant grandfathers (same surname as mine all the way back) got to Texas in 1832. Among many things we have a record of him using a Mississippi rifle in a ranging company in the 1850s and he likely carried it early in the war.

There were two types of folks that emigrated to Texas, the dirt poor and the planter class that sold out their farms and moved lock, stock and barrel to Texas. So guns could run the gambit from barely serviceable barn guns to very nice bespoke rifles or smoothbores.

The grandfather I mentioned above served Texas from beginning to end in K Co, 28th Texas Cav. When he was mustered out in Anderson, Texas (the first military governor of Texas moved his HQ there from Houston for obvious reasons in the summer of 1865) he signed his oath to the United States. We have the original in the family. It is counter signed by the senior union officer present. The signature reads “G.A.C. Maj Gen, USA, Comdt.”

Small world back then.

I hunt with the rifle below. Barrel is an original, lock is dated 1852. Some furniture is original. The barrel was one of a couple thousand upgraded at Harpers Ferry with the 1855 sight so it has the proper site mounted, but it’s still a .54 and it will put a .535 ball into the palm of my hand all day long at 100 yards. I smile every time I shoot it.

View attachment 28444
Yup, I’m going with a MS. My family has roots to Texas also. Several fought with Texas Cavalry units. Family “legend” is someone came to Texas in 1832 and was granted land in the Waco area in return for fighting in the TWI. However I haven’t been able to confirm.

One of the few, maybe only, rifles with Alamo provenance was a Dickert. There are lots of options for the OP. Texas in the 1850s must have been an amazing combination of Wild West Frontier and early Industrial Revolution.

One of the things that makes Texas unique to this day is the cultural impact of having been in a “frontier” state for almost 50 years from the 1830s to the 1880s. And with two frontiers at that, one with the hostile Indians and the second an almost open state of war with Mexico for nearly the same amount of time. Good horses and the latest in weapon tech were not luxuries...they were needed to survive.

One of my favorite quotes from an early Texas visitor was that it was “a Heaven for men and dogs, and a Hell for women and horses.”

With regards to caliber, heavier calibers were favored by Indian fighters and rangers. Heavily constructed guns that could survive falls from horseback and rough use, the same thoughts given to Plains rifles, were valued also. Which leads back to the 1841 again.

The primary design requirements for the Walker Colt as requested by experienced Texas Indian fighters was a heavier caliber to kill horses, a Comanche afoot is much less of a problem than mounted, and a sturdy pistol that could be used in hand to hand combat as a club.

Capt McCray demonstrates this nicely by correcting a “surly” bartender.
Yessir, so true!!! A brace of 1848 Cot dragoon’s will be on order. Of course, if the “mustering” is for an infantry unit, pony and pistols will stay home. As an “Authentic Campaigner” type re-enactor (bless our hearts! Lol), I strive to be as accurate as possible.

In the original post, I too read south and based my reply on being east of the Mississippi River.

Yes, Larger caliber rifles are in order. More along the rifles in the "Trade Rifle Sketchbook" by Hanson.
No worries Grenadier, my fault, I didn’t clarify “Texian”.

Didn’t read his Texas/Arkansas part.

This, indeed, changes everything and you are right.

Meh, it happens once in a while. I am going to have to show your post to my wife though, in my ongoing effort to convince her of that.😄

I actually jumped to the conclusion from his name/avatar, and could have just as easily been wrong had he been a Texan moved to Mississippi or Alabama.

Meh, it happens once in a while. I am going to have to show your post to my wife though, in my ongoing effort to convince her of that.😄

I actually jumped to the conclusion from his name/avatar, and could have just as easily been wrong had he been a Texan moved to Mississippi or Alabama.

I spent about a year in Texas. About all I can narrow down on the place is that they have really good food. Armadillo eggs, anyone? :)

I spent about a year in Texas. About all I can narrow down on the place is that they have really good food. Armadillo eggs, anyone? :)

Having lived in excess of a decade in both Louisiana, and New Mexico and having family that resides there, I have traveled the place literally from end to end many times. At 880 miles east to west, its a good jaunt and no slouch north to south either. A truly interesting place and with a tremendous variety of geography, culture and of course great food from TexMex to BBQ to German fare.

I'll have to admit I am not familiar with Armadillo eggs, but I do have a recipe for Chupacabra Eggs I got from a member here, satx78247, a few years ago, that I still employ frequently when grilling.

I once held and drooled over an original .32 caliber half stock in cherry wood with brass mounts and poured pewter fore end cap: single trigger and buckhorn rear sight blade front barrel about 7/8" X 28-30", curved butt plate. It had belonged to my friends ancestor, and was handed down in Missouri (I saw it in S.E. Texas). I want to say he said it dated to the mid 1830's. A beautiful, handy civilian rifle for all kinds of small game, inexpensive to feed and care for. It was plain, no carvings, but well made and remarkably well preserved. I wish I had a picture of it to share; it's been many, many moons ago. It was a typical plains style rifle with an iron under rib and hickory ramrod. Good luck in your search, I hope you can find a beauty like that! George.

'
Treestalker...

See the pics below. The top rifle I bought from a forum member about 6 months ago. It’s an Ohio rifle made in the mid 1850s by J. D. Little, and it’s a .32.

It was in pretty bad and neglected shape when I got it.

Several chunks of wood missing. The toe plate was gone along with the corner of wood about an inch square, the butt plate was bent around the spot the wood used to be. Barrel was covered in a heavy coat of oxidation. Had several major cracks and the barrel tenon was gone...the barrel was held in place by a leather thong. The lock had issues and the nipple and drum were one solid mass of carbon and oxidation.

I did what I could and then took it to a couple of local master rifle builders. The results are amazing. The only parts actually replaced were the nipple and the toe plate. The flash guard was added.

We didn’t refinish the wood. Wiped it with oil is all. The previous owner polished the brass a bit, but the wood still has tooling marks on it...it’s never seen sand paper.

The muzzle mikes about .36...but it’s actually coned. The bore tapers right down to .32 after about 3/4”. And the bore is in excellent condition after a good soak and cleaning.
25A3A22D-FB55-4B83-805C-F609310F8535.jpeg
AD11873B-D3B4-417C-BE61-0575108D42B9.jpeg
25A3A22D-FB55-4B83-805C-F609310F8535.jpeg

Wish it could talk!
BCD0BD0F-3510-4868-896E-239F91F00C9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! I don't even need a 'before' picture. I've seen some miracles of restoration; one was a long barreled 1/2 stock 16ga shotgun dated 1831. It had a cherry stock snapped at the wrist in a jagged break, with English 'flat' checkering. My mentor, Mr. Leon Miller, drilled out a hole on each end in the middle of that jagged wood and inserted a steel all thread rod with epoxy, pushed the two pieces back together with glue and when it dried he recut the checkering with a single line tool freehand. A little lampblack and stock finish and hand rubbing and it was done; you could barely tell it had been broken. Amazing.

There is a lot of good information presented here. However, I would strongly recommend that you check out Chris Hirsch's websites. Chris is a gunsmith (and banjo player, but we won't hold that against him...) in Sugar Land, Texas. The website, Texas Sporting Rifles, has an eye-popping display of muzzle-loading firearms with solid Texas provenance. Most of them are in fact half stocked "plains rifles," from about .44 caliber to .56 caliber. His companion website, The Texas Gun Trade, has some more information but is mostly to promote his book, The Texas Gun Trade, 1780-1899. The book will cost you $50, but if you are a Texan and interested in early Texas guns, I would recommend it to you. I'm not even a Texan, but I have a copy and enjoy reading through it and especially looking at the pictures.

However, if you are a reenactor, you will probably need to be part of an established "unit" or reenactment group in order to participate in any events, and they may have some guidelines or even requirements with regard to your choice of gun. You may want to check with groups in your area before buying the wrong kind of weapon.

Someone above recommended a southern mountain rifle. I would not argue with this, and might suggest, more specifically, a Tennessee rifle. A lot of immigrants coming to Texas just prior to its independence were from Tennessee. In fact, Elmer Kelton based his wonderful Sons of Texas trilogy on this phenomenon. These are the very books that got me back into muzzleloading some years ago, after a long hiatus.

Noah Smithwick, an early Texas pioneer who was also a blacksmith, gunsmith, and author of The Evolution of a State, wrote that the early Texans carried "... long single-barreled muzzle loading flintlock rifles, the same that our fathers won their independence with, and that the famous Kentucky brigade used with such telling effect in the battle of New Orleans..." (p.72). As a gunsmith, he said "I fixed up many an old gun that I wouldn't have picked up in the road, knowing that it was all that stood between a family and the gaunt wolf at the door, as well as the Indians." (p.8). Smithwick's recollections spanned the period from the Texas revolution to the opening days of the War Between the States, and I think that last quote may well apply to firearms of the period that interests you. The point being that many of the guns on the Texas frontier were probably not in very good shape, many of them probably served more than one generation of pioneers, and if you want to present an authentic impression, you might consider getting a shootable "beater." It would not be inconceivable for you to carry a flintlock.

Someone suggested a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I would respectfully disagree. These are great rifles, and a real bargain whether new or used. However, they are not really very authentic, under close scrutiny. If you are hanging around with Civil War reenactors and you carry one of these, you'll probably never hear the end of it. Those guys can be very picky.

You might consider a military rifle. I doubt an Enfield would have made it to Texas during the period that interests you, but lots of the M1841 "Mississippi Rifles" found their way into civilian hands after the end of the Mexican War. Good quality reproductions are abundant, especially on the used gun market. These rifles are sturdy, easy to maintain, and eminently shootable. I believe the Mississippi rifle was the last rifle issued by the US government that was intended to be used with a patched round ball. When you are not reenacting, it would be more than "enough gun" for deer or even a jumbo "barr hog," like Howie reported shooting recently (his threads on that topic, on this board, are well worth reading). The M1841 was originally issued in .54 caliber, with a fixed "Kentucky style" rear sight. As the War of '61 really got going, many of them were fitted with long-range rear sights and bored out and re-rifled in .58 caliber by the US government arsenals to take the standard issue ammunition of the time. Reproductions are available in .54 and .58, but in portraying a Southerner before the war, the .54 with the early rear sight would be the obvious choice.

The M1842 .69 caliber smoothbore would also be a possible choice, if you are not determined to get a rifle. As with the Mississippi rifle, many of these ended up in civilian hands, and a lot of them were used by both sides in the early days of the War Between the States. You could even go back earlier... Many old and/or foreign muskets were converted to percussion and used in the war. We have a relic 1763 Brown Bess in the family, converted to percussion and bearing Confederate markings.

I don't know what your budget is, but you have a lot to consider. Whether you pick a small-bore squirrel rifle, a plains rifle, a Tennessee longrifle, or some sort of military firearm, it sounds to me as if a used gun might serve you well, and would likely be considerably cheaper than a new one. The Gun Works, out in Oregon, always has a good selection of used guns and they have an excellent reputation as a dealer. Track of the Wolf also maintains a good inventory of used guns worth browsing. I would also recommend Lodgewood Manufacturing, especially if you might consider a military type rifle or musket of the Civil War era. The proprietor is himself a gunsmith. I have dealt with Lodgewood and can recommend them. They have a lot of interesting used guns for sale right now, some with a lot of character.

Good luck in your quest! I'm sure we would all be interested in whatever you decide to get, so by all means keep us posted.

Notchy Bob

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for providing the link to Chris's web site. I had no idea.

Following up on Notchy Bob's and Brazosland's suggestions, what about an early US musket converted to percussion?

We've had a 1816 pattern "rifled" musket in our family since the 1950s. The musket has a 1823 Harper's Ferry lock converted to percussion and was cut down at some point in it's life. It also has the same rear sight as Brazosland's 1841, I refer to it as "rifled" because you can see faint rifling grooves cut in its' barrel. I understand that in the early 1850s the US arsenals took good grade older muskets from storage, converted them from flintlock to percussion, rifled the barrels, and installed rifle sights. One place to look at photos of a lot of original military arms, and some civilian ones also, is the Lodgewood Manufacturing website. He always has a lot of interesting originals and modern reproductions posted. The photos may help.

Following up on Notchy Bob's and Brazosland's suggestions, what about an early US musket converted to percussion?

We've had a 1816 pattern "rifled" musket in our family since the 1950s. The musket has a 1823 Harper's Ferry lock converted to percussion and was cut down at some point in it's life. It also has the same rear sight as Brazosland's 1841, I refer to it as "rifled" because you can see faint rifling grooves cut in its' barrel. I understand that in the early 1850s the US arsenals took good grade older muskets from storage, converted them from flintlock to percussion, rifled the barrels, and installed rifle sights. One place to look at photos of a lot of original military arms, and some civilian ones also, is the Lodgewood Manufacturing website. He always has a lot of interesting originals and modern reproductions posted. The photos may help.
Yeah I considered your thought. But I’m going with a MS. Affordable. Lodgewood is way out of my price range. The 1816, percussion would be cool but so far, $$$$

I'm threatenin' to just have a rifled barrel made for the 1816 (still a flinter). It'd be pretty cool to have a rear sight brazed on the rear band.

Back