• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pet Peeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinekayak

40 Cal
Reaction score
So. I figure we are all in lockdown. We can all use a chance to vent and maybe some humor to be shared. What is everyones biggest muzzleloader pet peeve? I've read a few on here and I laugh at how worked up people get on some I know not all half stock percussions are Hawkins. Italian muzzleloaders in general. Ball starters anyone? Brass pins on period knives..... I am to new to muzzleloading but my biggest pet peeve for shooting in general is when someone calls a magazine a clip...
Lets share. Have fun. Keep it light.

I'm still workin' my butt off. I could use a vacation.

Things I hate? "Flinter", "Shottie", "Rocklock", "Smokepole", "Smoothie", and any number of other excruciatingly cutesy gun nicknames.

Of course, there's also how people continue to call German rifles "Jaegers"....

And "I want a smoothbore fowling gun, but I mostly want to shoot patched round balls in it...."

I find in-lines annoying, sort of a cheat. Modern style stocks, scopes, and sabots: why not just get a Remington 700 and be done with it? Want a deer during primitive weapon hunting season? Go traditional. Of course, I would never ban them because they bug me philosophically. That's why it's a peeve, not a sin. :)

I was trying to think of other annoyances. But traditional black powder shooters are some of the nicest people I've met.

Jeff

A bunch of those already posted, including some about unmentionables, could easily make my list. But, I'll go with these,
"Possibles bag"

"Longhunter" when really referring to a more generalized frontiersman of less specific time and location.

People who want to sound "old timey" or "mountain manish" or "woodsy"
so they write like they are stupid.

Did I mention "possibles bag" ???

Piss poor justifications for using items because the item is helpful rather than just saying, "he item isn't period but I need it." I actually don't care about the item....

..... unless it's a "possibles bag."

Antler buttons cut the wrong way.

Cheap locks, generally found on modern mass produced guns, then people complaining about reliability.

Guys with modern guns who show up at the range after me, then set up to my right (generally down wind at my club's range) then whine about the smoke,,, or the blast.

People who drive in the passing lane,,,,, stay right except to pass DUMMIES!
sorry had to get that one out there

I'm still workin' my butt off. I could use a vacation.

Things I hate? "Flinter", "Shottie", "Rocklock", "Smokepole", "Smoothie", and any number of other excruciatingly cutesy gun nicknames.

Of course, there's also how people continue to call German rifles "Jaegers"....

And "I want a smoothbore fowling gun, but I mostly want to shoot patched round balls in it...."
BINGO to all!!! Also add fowler and Remmie.

Ignorant RSO's that won't let me keep ANY powder on my shooter's table

"Holy black" 😠 just call it what it actually is.

"Things I hate? "Flinter", "Shottie", "Rocklock", "Smokepole", "Smoothie", and any number of other excruciatingly cutesy gun nicknames." :thumb::thumb:

"People who drive in the passing lane,,,,, stay right except to pass DUMMIES!
sorry had to get that one out there" :thumb::thumb:

Hope you don't mind me quoting you Stophel & Brokenknock. I just couldn't see trying to rephrase what you said so well. ✌

Calling a replica shootable. Reproduction is shootable.

Wanna know what I really can't stand? And this is not just in the muzzleloading world, but just about everywhere, in every subject.

People who think they can do anything themselves, without putting any real effort into it (or even if they do put effort into it... we're not all capable of everything). People that refuse to research, or learn, or practice, or do anything for themselves. And then they make demands on others... others who spent years and years, and tons of money and effort to study, learn, and practice whatever it is. They demand others tell them what they want to know NOW. "I wanna know how to make a knife, just tell me how to heat treat it NOW!" People who have studied and practiced their trade, or researched the subject, and spent countless hours and countless dollars doing the legwork and the hand work somehow owe these internet twits all the knowledge they gained through all their work???

There are so many people who want to know something and it seems it NEVER even crosses their mind to look it up themselves. Even the simplest things. Whiny little twits that can't even type a few words into a Google search themselves.....grrrrrrr

I’m a traditionalist by nature. I like to only use accesories and materials that would have been available “back in the day”. As such, a lot of things peeve me personally on this board.

It seems every Tom Dick and Harry has his own secret cocktail for “the best patch lube”, many involving all sorts of nasty poisons and modern cleaning chemicals and lubricants. I just shake my head. The old timers used either grease or oil from animal sources, or spit. They used water for cleaning. I have found both totally satisfactory in use and no hairbrained witches brew of carcinogens needed, thank you kindly.

And they tend to describe their nightmare mixture as the BEST patch lube ever. They’ll come up with a list of 10 different chemicals they use and all their ratios. You can’t honestly tell me you’ve tried every combination and ratio to truly test what is the BEST lube. I think some guys like to feel smart or unique so post there recipe for all to see, without any evidence why there’s is so great.

I’ve got more but figure I’ve already raised some folks’ blood pressures enough!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back