• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler 50 cal colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Job MI Man. I also just finished the same Kibler Colonial rifle and the figuring in the stock looks almost identical to your's. The kit was fun to build and with the CNC machining required very little adjustment for the hardware. It was my first build and Jim and Katherine were super to deal with. We're moving to TN shortly so it'll be fun to shoot it.
It would be nice if they also offered pistol kits. Maybe some day.

Yes I am glad I bought the kibler 50 cal colonial. I am fairly good with tools and it was just right for me. I did a couple of dumb things but every thing worked out. When it arrived in the mail I felt like a 10 year old at Christmas. Big made in USA sticker on it with flag 🇺🇸

By the way I think the kiblers should only offer several kits to keep quality in check.

I'm a great believer in cut at the muzzle patches- the ball is always centered perfectly.

I don't know the measurements of the following, but find that one of these fabrics will be right for a particular rifle:

Thinnest: 100% cotton "Bottomweights" poplin from JoAnn Fabrics.

Medium: cotton pillow ticking from WalMart.

Heavy: number 70 pocket drill from JoAnn. This is almost a light canvas.

All material is washed and dried on hottest settings for the machines.

Lubricants vary, spit or Moose Milk for matches, TOTW mink grease for hunting. People think it's funny that my first step in loading at a match is to stick a section of the patch strip in my mouth...….

On the same subject; I was at a gunsmiths friends house yesterday, he was showing me a Kibler Colonial he had just gotten in to build for a customer. I got to look at the new Kibler lock, just like a fine watch, amazing. Then he put said lock in the mortise of his gun and it fit perfectly with NO wood trimming, now that is perfection at its best.

On the same subject; I was at a gunsmiths friends house yesterday, he was showing me a Kibler Colonial he had just gotten in to build for a customer. I got to look at the new Kibler lock, just like a fine watch, amazing. Then he put said lock in the mortise of his gun and it fit perfectly with NO wood trimming, now that is perfection at its best.

That takes all the fun out of it! But I guess some don't like that kind of fun. It is pretty amazing that those CNC machines and can replicate to that precision.

Buckskin, some of us aren't real good at having that kind of fun so the Kibler gives us an opportunity to have a really nice rifle that is missing all the too large of inletting, funky too large panels around the lock, gaps on the butt plate, gouges and bruises etc.

I learned a few lessons on finishing the stock of the kibler colonial rifle:
1. Be very careful how much you sand around lock and side plate inlet area. It is easy to sand off too much material due close tolerances.
2. I bought a bottle of ferric nitrate from a place other than Jim Kibler. The curl in the maple stocked looks good but it turned more of a brown color compared to a red tone that I was hoping for when I watched Jim demo the ferric nitrate he sells on utube. Not sure what the difference is.

Buckskin, some of us aren't real good at having that kind of fun so the Kibler gives us an opportunity to have a really nice rifle that is missing all the too large of inletting, funky too large panels around the lock, gaps on the butt plate, gouges and bruises etc.

I'm not knocking Kibler's at all, they are excellent, some say cream of the crop and I might get one some day if and when he increases the choices (say a fowling piece). Although I do enjoy the extra effort that is needed when building from a Chamber's kit, the two that I've gotten have been fantastic pieces of wood with no major issues. I will likely try from a plank before I get a Kibler, but who knows... Part of the reason that I got into this crazy hobby is the challenge.

Back