• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wanted one of those English style shot pouches, but a 1 ounces was too heavy a charge for my little 25 gauge. I bought a leather bag with a large valve but the powder valve and spout were too narrow, so the shot (#7) bridged and needed to be shaken out. It included a load of shot, so the previous owner may have had the same problem.

I never saw a period shot horn but if it was good for powder and good for rum then it should be good for shot. This is what I came up with. It's what I call a <b><i>could-a-been</i></b>. That is period materials and technology but no period prototype known.

<p>The vertical carry was chosen so the weight of the shot sloshing against the stopper would not drive it out. The horn is small enough not to be a heavy load, but holds more than enough for 10 shots. Hunters might be concerned about noise in a horizontal horn alerting game but I have never noticed any noise. Clay pigeons are mostly deaf anyway.
shothorn_500.png

I tried using loose shot when pheasant hunting but it was a pain. Just used a bag and a dipper. Too slow. Now, I make up paper shot cups coated with lube filled with a premeasured shot charge. Both ends are pinched shut. Much easier to just grab a charge from a pocket, insert into muzzle and ram the whole thing home. No before or after wads needed however I do usually place some paper wadding between the powder and the shot charge just to cushion the shot.

I've used leather drawstring pouches for RB's for over 40 years. A few years ago i got an actual ball pouch made by a member of one lf the Muzzleloading Forums. They are quiet, work well, and if a treehugger interferes with your hunt, make a great slap for whacking them upside the head ...
For actual shot, I just use plastic centraguge tubes - the cap is attached to the tube, so you can just flip open with your thumb and pour.

Just a regular draw string bag works for me. Aashoot a one to one and a half match for powder, just pinch and pour in to my powder charger, eyeball for the half.

Cutfingers has made me a couple of shot bags. One for shot and round balls, another for shot only. Great quality leather work, and great prices. I have also carried loose shot in an old apothecary bottle (handblown glass square bottle) but I was always afraid of hitting it and breaking it. Now Cutfingers' leather bags are my go-to.

ADK Bigfoot

Back