• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Some of the Collection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, that is a very nice collection you have assembled over the years. I built a couple of "Ohio" style rifles way back when but not in the "perch belly" style. That has been on my mind for some while now. It was rekindled by noticing you have one in one of your racks. Hmmmm . . .

Barry,
Perch belly stocks seem to be almost an Ohio trademark on a lot of the earlier guns. Especially the half stocks.

Some of my flinters.
IMG_1415.JPG

NKJB,
Not sure what you are asking. Ohio rifles came into being due to the westward movement and With Ohio being on the Ohio river and the great lakes it was a way station along the way west to pick up much needed supplies, such as rifles, make equipment repairs and move on. The rifles, and shotguns, were indispensable items and continued to improve and change based on time and need.
Hanson put out a couple of good references based primarily on the Hawken rifles and there are many others available. 15 Years in the Hawken Lode & Hawken The Mountain Man''s Choice. The names may not be 100% correct but will get you to them.
Good luck in your search.

Back