• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Books.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudcreek

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well I am stuck at home with the virus. It aint no fun
Maybe you readers would post some of the books you recommend

mudcreek, you need to shed some light for us on your reading interest. For instance, until last year I just about only read nonfiction. Last September I picked up an Agatha Christie murder mystery out of curiosity. I have probably read close to thirty of this genre since. So let us know your interest. There are a lot of members here who read a variety text.

I usually read anything, but right now I'm mostly intersted in books about muzzleloaders and makers and users

I usually buy books because our small library doesn't have what I'm looking for and due to the epidemic they are closed. The site I use most is Thriftbooks.com. The books are used but they give good accurate description of the condition. If you order more than $10 the shipping is free. But if your looking for a specific book you must spell the title or author correctly or it will not come up. Amazon has books but they are high in my opinion. You also might try the forum classifieds. They sometimes have muzzleloading books. Good luck.

“Journal of a Trapper” by Osborn Russell will be the a fine read for the fellow interested in the mountain man and his travel. It’s a firsthand daily account of one mans experience. With maps to follow along in the book. No wild tales or colorful wording just the facts as he saw them.

I just re-read a book titled Daniel Boone Wilderness Scout by American writer STEWART EDWARD WHITE (1873-1946). The picture shows the hard cover edition published in 1922, and I have this copy I acquired from a book club when I was a kid.

Daniel Boone book.jpg

Here is a brief commentary I found on Google Books:
"Promptly at the end of three days of fasting Boone knew that the war party would set forth no matter what the weather. It was a bad omen otherwise. In single file, at spaced intervals, the painted warriors would move from the town, firing their rifles slowly one after the other..." -from Chapter XIV. This semifictionalized biography of the legendary frontiersman, first published in 1921, rings with desperate dialogue ("We'll be caught if we stay here... the Indians are not far behind us") and gung-ho wilderness adventure. From Boone's childhood along the banks of the Delaware River-full of escapades "any normal and healthy boy would have revelled in"-to his cantankerous old age, in which he chafed to go further west to escape the encroachment of civilization into his beloved Kentucky, this is a highly entertaining life of the man who was never lost, but was "bewildered once for three days."

~wiksmo

I highly recommend the Winning of America series of books by Allan Eckert.
  • The Frontiersmen: A Narrative by Allan W. Eckert
  • Wilderness Empire by Allan W. Eckert
  • The Conquerors by Allan W. Eckert
  • The Wilderness War by Allan W. Eckert
  • Gateway to Empire by Allan W. Eckert
  • Twilight of Empire by Allan W. Eckert

I highly recommend the Winning of America series of books by Allan Eckert.
  • The Frontiersmen: A Narrative by Allan W. Eckert
  • Wilderness Empire by Allan W. Eckert
  • The Conquerors by Allan W. Eckert
  • The Wilderness War by Allan W. Eckert
  • Gateway to Empire by Allan W. Eckert
  • Twilight of Empire by Allan W. Eckert
DITTO

If you want some technical stuff, you can read this online...The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle by Ned Roberts
The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle

If you want to read something else, that I found interesting, as the author wrote it just before WW2. The author is the same author as Northwest Passage. Kenneth Roberts. Interesting that this novel takes the Loyalist perspective of the AWI...
Oliver Wiswell
And you might also read
Northwest Passage

LD

Howdy Mudcreek, Here's some thoughts, fiction and otherwise.
Try Give Your Heart To The Hawks by Win Blevin. It's a collection of stories about the original mountain men like John Colter and Jeddidiah Smith. You might also like the series by A.B. Guthrie that starts with The Big Sky. There's Jim Bridger by Stanley Vestal and Crow Killer about Liver-Eatin' Johnson. I recommend The Journals Of Lewis & Clark too. Terry Johnston wrote several fiction books about the Fur Trade Era and the mountain men, beginning with Carry The Wind. And there are many others. Most of these are available from Amazon.com, which is handy because of the quarantine restrictions. I hope you find what strikes your fancy. Enjoy.
Tanglefoot

I agree with the Kenneth Roberts books: Northwest Passage, Arundel, and Rabble in Arms are all excellent! Kindig’s Thoughts in the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age is a great book to drool over, as are Schumway’s Rifles of Colonial America, vols 1&2.
You’ll also enjoy Ryan Gale, A Soldier-Like Way and Jim Mullins, Of Sorts for Provincials - both have nice color photographs and a lot of good info.
Of course, once you’re done with the good stuff, there is the article I wrote on the Lenape and Pontiac’s Rebellion, as well as the interview the Journal of the American Revolution did with me as a podcast online:Podcast and Article links. If that doesn’t make you sleep soundly, you might enjoy it. 🤔

ECKERT is the best! he will make you feel that you are right there with the partisiments , if you can stand the, BLOOD, GUTS & GORE! GOD he tells it like it rely was! if you start you will not want to put then down. I read them, all of them 38 years ago first time and several times sense. best to read them in chronological order!

sorry meant to say-PARTISIAPENTS. at 70++++++yrs old not the sharpest tack in the box. hope I got it right ?

Mudcreek, hang in there, brother. We are all rooting for you!

There are lots of great suggestions there. One that I read last year, and would highly recommend, is Wild Sports in the Far West, by Friedrich Gerstaecker. That link will take you to the book online, which you can read on your computer for free courtesy of Google Books. Gerstaeker was a young German man, a keen hunter, who came to the US is 1837. He was not a wealthy aristocrat with a retinue of followers, but he traveled alone and had to work his way across the country. He was in Arkansas from 1838-1842, and wrote a very detailed account of life on the frontier, hunting bears, deer, turkeys, and (one time) buffalo. It was a great read.

Wiksmo, I have that book! Daniel Boone, Wilderness Scout, by Stewart Edward White. I must have read it ten times when I was a kid. My mom was an English teacher and figured at one point I should have gotten tired of the book, so she took it to school for the other kids to read. I missed it, and when I finally got it back, it was not quite in as good shape as when I had it all to myself. I was disappointed, but glad to get it back. But, it is still in one piece and I still have it. I would like to point out that it is not really a "juvenile" book. Adults who frequent this forum would probably find it a good read.

Notchy Bob

Wiksmo, I have that book! Daniel Boone, Wilderness Scout, by Stewart Edward White. I must have read it ten times when I was a kid. My mom was an English teacher and figured at one point I should have gotten tired of the book, so she took it to school for the other kids to read. I missed it, and when I finally got it back, it was not quite in as good shape as when I had it all to myself. I was disappointed, but glad to get it back. But, it is still in one piece and I still have it. I would like to point out that it is not really a "juvenile" book. Adults who frequent this forum would probably find it a good read.
Notchy Bob

For sure, Notchy Bob, it isn't really a "kid" book...definitely for adults (us big kids). I learned a lot about the times when Kentucky was first explored and settled, and Boone's involvement just about every step of the way during that period. Kind of hard to put this read down once started.

I have a total of nine of these "Junior Deluxe Editions" from Nelson Doubleday, Inc., most in very good condition. Since I like sea-faring stories also, my copy of "Captains Courageous" shows it's been read who knows how many times!
wiksmo

Latest posts

Back