• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

soft frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steam1993

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read where some people have glued hard steel on to frizzens to make them spark. I have 2 that need working on, and am thinking about gluing on hardened steel on mine. Has any one done this, and what steel do/did get used.

I would not use glue or epoxy. My guns are as historically accurate as I can reasonably make them.

I have soldered a thin, hardened piece of handsaw blade to a frizzen and it works fine. The trick is to anneal the frizzen and file it back at least the thickness of the steel you will add to the face. Otherwise the frizze may hit the lock’s flashguard or you change the geometry.

Then fit a piece of thin annealed high carbon steel (0.015 to 0.030” thick) carefully to match the frizzen face curve. Then trim the “half sole” close to fit. Then harden the frizzen and the sole (yes you need the frizzen toe where it engages the frizzen spring to be hard). MAKE SURE THE NEW FACE IS HARD AS GLASS.

Now flux the frizzen and with a large soldering iron sweat a thin coat of low temp solder on the frizzen face (tin it). Wipe off excess with a rag or brush.

Flux the new frizzen face in place and wire it in place. Hold the toe of the frizzen in a vise with the frizzen face more or less horizontal and heat slowly from below with a torch. When the solder just melts and the frizzen face sits down, slap it with a wet rag. Mind the steam.

Temper the frizzen toe to just blue. You should be good to go.

Glue or epoxy will not work period! That thought is a bandaid approach when you need surgery. Rich P is right on target with his method.
Good luck
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Back